Renault unit anybody

Ok, thanks for all that.
I’ll ask if it is actually up for grabs, if so have a go in it and decide…If it had been the high cab one, I’d have fought for it, as I’d look like a ‘‘real trucker’’. :laughing: :unamused:

robroy:
Ok, thanks for all that.
I’ll ask if it is actually up for grabs, if so have a go in it and decide…If it had been the high cab one, I’d have fought for it, as I’d look like a ‘‘real trucker’’. :laughing: :unamused:

Which one is it? I have had them all and the high roof model is a fantastic tramping lorry, I felt a little cramped in the others but they are so easy to live with you get used to them quite quickly.

It’s the high roof type definitely, it’s about a year or so old, but the one that was first released in the UK before you could get the high cab version.
Reckon it must be a ■■■■■■ back or something, bought cheap,. being second hand and all that.

robroy:
It’s the high roof type definitely, it’s about a year or so old, but the one that was first released in the UK before you could get the high cab version.
Reckon it must be a ■■■■■■ back or something, bought cheap,. being second hand and all that.

Well I had the T high model before I left for coaches mate, they are brilliant to tramp in. I loved mine.

Why hasn’t it been allocated, why was nobody else looking for it
How old is your merc, any truck outside a Volvo or scania is chalk and cheese much as a musness if it is newer and has more comforts then take it for a week and get the feel for it, driver wise,

Your back and spine and mental state will certainly welcome you for the swap from those god awful Merc bone and spine shattering contraptions.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

My experience with the E-Brake both Renault and Volvo was pretty good, the only negative was if hit the go pedal too heavily from a standstill it wouldn’t release, so hit the gas gently and it’s off. I find myself with the current Volvos double checking the E-Brake is on when I engage it as it can have a tendency to not engage

On the new one is the cruise control switch still hidden away in its secret hidey-hole?

Shug:
On the new one is the cruise control switch still hidden away in its secret hidey-hole?

I assume you mean the plus and minus buttons hidden underneath the steering wheel. If so then yes.

On one side under the steering wheel is the cruise control and under the other side is the controls for the computer (scroll wheel etc)

Love mine - it’s comfortable, good driving position, excellent handling, I-Shift, not too much techy stuff, comfy bunks, electronic park brake is the biz

Only major interior drawbacks are a lack of cupholders, one-piece underbunk drawer/fridge and a lack of a ‘towel hanging’ rail in the roof on some models

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

We had one on rental for a while. Compared to the Actros I loved it. Not many others did, but that meant I usually got it if it was free. Brilliant gearbox compared to Merc, pulled much better than Merc, more comfortable and felt more stabble on the road.
Only complaint was the dipped headlights - a couple of tea-lights would have been better.
Sadly, it has gone back now, as we have had another new Merc (at least it has mirrors!).

Just an update…
Never got the one mentioned :unamused: , but a 20 plate one has popped up in the yard for grabs and I had a run up the M6 a few miles to get the feel of it and try it out this morning…there are new Mercs looming, on the horizon, .and I’ve made my mind up.I just do not want another one of the ■■■■ things… 2 are enough in one lifetime . :smiling_imp:

Anyhoo Renault is as clean as a whistle interior for starters…as new in fact.
Drove ok,.a lot smoother than the Merc.
Fridge could be a lot bigger, but I only do.3 n/o a week on my 4 days now, it also has an inverter for my microwave which is good…although not sure if cupboards are big enough to fit mine until I measure them.

Liked the top bunk,.which would be handy as my Mrs has fancied a run down to Cornwall with me in the past.

My only gripe with it was with the fact of my 6’1’ height adapting to it.
The engine hump in the centre there was not as much room to stretch my left leg out.
But the biggest drawback was the ■■■■ awful driving position in terms of the vertical rake adjustment on the steering wheel.
My seat was right back,.again because of my height, and because I tend to ‘lounge’ whilst driving, the back rest was well back… so to actually reach the top of the circle on the wheel,.my arms were stretched out fully…not good after 9 or so hours driving I would reckon.

I was well aware of this before I got in it , as a mate similar build (but a quarter good looking :smiley: ) warned me he gets a bad back with it.
He now has a brand new one where it is a much different set up,.the rake adjustment is virtually vertical on the new models… much like Scania style, or a car.

Now my main point…He reckons you can get the older models converted that way at Renaults…
My question is (and reason for reviving the thread) is…

Is anybody aware of this or is my mate guilty of talking the ancient dialect of ‘drivercrap’ (he has been known :smiley: )

If they are willing to do that, it will be a deal breaker for me taking it.

Oh yeah …do new trucks (my last one was 2016 so I have lost track :unamused: ) still come with handbooks or is it all now the usual ‘go on line cack’ .because this one ain’t got one and I ain’t got a didgeri what half of the ■■■■ switches and dials are for. :blush:…and dont even get me started on the ■■■■ touch screen :unamused: , for radio, phone…and a built in TomTom truck sat nav btw :open_mouth: (which will be interesting to say the least using one of those ■■■■ things on my remote farm delivery job :smiley: )

Cheers in advance for any info on the conversion job and handbook availability :wink:

robroy:
Just an update…
Never got the one mentioned :unamused: , but a 20 plate one has popped up in the yard for grabs and I had a run up the M6 a few miles to get the feel of it and try it out this morning…there are new Mercs looming, on the horizon, .and I’ve made my mind up.I just do not want another one of the [zb] things… 2 are enough in one lifetime . :smiling_imp:

Anyhoo Renault is as clean as a whistle interior for starters…as new in fact.
Drove ok,.a lot smoother than the Merc.
Fridge could be a lot bigger, but I only do.3 n/o a week on my 4 days now, it also has an inverter for my microwave which is good…although not sure if cupboards are big enough to fit mine until I measure them.

Liked the top bunk,.which would be handy as my Mrs has fancied a run down to Cornwall with me in the past.

My only gripe with it was with the fact of my 6’1’ height adapting to it.
The engine hump in the centre there was not as much room to stretch my left leg out.
But the biggest drawback was the [zb] awful driving position in terms of the vertical rake adjustment on the steering wheel.
My seat was right back,.again because of my height, and because I tend to ‘lounge’ whilst driving, the back rest was well back… so to actually reach the top of the circle on the wheel,.my arms were stretched out fully…not good after 9 or so hours driving I would reckon.

I was well aware of this before I got in it , as a mate similar build (but a quarter good looking :smiley: ) warned me he gets a bad back with it.
He now has a brand new one where it is a much different set up,.the rake adjustment is virtually vertical on the new models… much like Scania style, or a car.

Now my main point…He reckons you can get the older models converted that way at Renaults…
My question is (and reason for reviving the thread) is…

Is anybody aware of this or is my mate guilty of talking the ancient dialect of ‘drivercrap’ (he has been known :smiley: )

If they are willing to do that, it will be a deal breaker for me taking it.

Oh yeah …do new trucks (my last one was 2016 so I have lost track :unamused: ) still come with handbooks or is it all now the usual ‘go on line cack’ .because this one ain’t got one and I ain’t got a didgeri what half of the [zb] switches and dials are for. :blush:…and dont even get me started on the [zb] touch screen :unamused: , for radio, phone…and a built in TomTom truck sat nav btw :open_mouth: (which will be interesting to say the least using one of those [zb] things on my remote farm delivery job :smiley: )

Cheers in advance for any info on the conversion job and handbook availability :wink:

I used a 68 plate one for a while it had a microwave fitted into the near side top locker,I too didn’t like the steering wheel rake but got used to it,it rattled a bit but pulled like a train fully grossed,I lost it for a Merc,the Renault was a lot better(the Merc had mirror cam) but that’s gone now :smiley:

Odd I’m around 6" so a whopping 1 inch shorter than you in height and can’t say I ever had any issues getting comfortable in nearly every truck including Renault’s. Some trucks yes the seat might not go as far back as is ideal etc but as for seat position and lumbar support etc no issues rally other than those flipping mercs that seem to jar you backwards and forwards every second, now that did make my back hurt even my sternum hurt driving those things.

So I’d guess it’s probably to do with your back rest being too far laid back (pun intended) tbh I fail to see how anyone can drive for long distances without the seat backrest providing proper support. And if it’s laid too far back then it isn’t providing proper support and the most likely cause of back pain is bad posture especially when seated. Same with height of your knees in relation to your hip when seated. And you should have a slight bend in your knees as well.

A proper seating position should ideally be within the 100 to 110° range as a guide. Obviously this can vary somewhat possibly for each individual person, but I can’t drive any vehicle with the seat backs laid back like a lot of drivers have them set. I’ve noticed it a lot in trucks with drivers who have the backrest far too laid back to even remotely be comfortable.

Obviously it’s my opinion and what people say is the best angle to have your backrest set at.

I ain’t exactly got my head in the bunk when I say backrest is right back :smiley:
It’s just further back than usual.let’s say. …It’s just the way I have always driven,.I like to kinda relax when driving rather than being sat bolt upright.
After saying that the Merc only goes so far back, when I came off a DAF on to the Merc it took me weeks to get used to it.
It is just what you personally find comfortable yourself, ‘one man’s meat is…etc etc’
Hey maybe it’s just me who is a bit odd…or even deformed. :laughing:

If I had to pick one or the other I’d still say both RR. Yup, definitely both :smiley: :smiley:

the maoster:
If I had to pick one or the other I’d still say both RR. Yup, definitely both :smiley: :smiley:

Ok,.I’ll keep setting em up,…you keep getting the laughs. :smiley:

robroy:
I ain’t exactly got my head in the bunk when I say backrest is right back :smiley:
It’s just further back than usual.let’s say. …It’s just the way I have always driven,.I like to kinda relax when driving rather than being sat bolt upright.
After saying that the Merc only goes so far back, when I came off a DAF on to the Merc it took me weeks to get used to it.
It is just what you personally find comfortable yourself, ‘one man’s meat is…etc etc’
Hey maybe it’s just me who is a bit odd…or even deformed. [emoji38]

10 to 20° from upright is hardly bolt upright now is it Rob? 90° would be bolt upright.

simcor:

robroy:
Hey maybe it’s just me who is a bit odd…or even deformed. [emoji38]

10 to 20° from upright is hardly bolt upright now is it Rob? 90° would be bolt upright.

Yeah ok, but dont take me so literally man.
I like to lounge when driving…simples.

Short of testing the angle accurately with a protractor I can’t tell you much more, I just know when I’m comfortable driving and when I’m not,.and I found the rake of the wheel uncomfortable in conjunction with the usual angle I try and have a seat…nothing more nothing less.
If the rake angle on the wheel can be mechanically adjusted to suit my style of driving position,.similar to being sat in a Scania …or even the later model Renault, I’ll be fine Simon…dont worry about me. :wink: :laughing: