Renault unit anybody

There’s a year old one floating around our yard, not the big cab ‘Magnum’ type btw, the bog standard one, that looks to have a twin bunk,.which I like… thinking of maybe trying to put my name on it.
Always had a soft spot for Renaults,.I used to own the old type 310 Transcontinental type cab years ago, I had a Magnum working for the foreigners for around 6 months, and surprisingly I quite liked the Premium, found it a comfortable well set out cab for a truck it’s size.
Spoke to a mechanic in the know,.who tells me they are a far superior truck to the Actros/Craptros, but most stuff is. :laughing:

So just wondering…
Anybody got one, what’s it like, how much and what electronic crap has it got, don’t think it has as much as the new Actros (that I don’t want), fridge will be standard these days I’d assume, and/or anything else good or bad can you tell me about it, so what are your opinions please guys.
Cheers.

Never tramped in one of the new ones but they’re nice to drive; comfortable seats, ditto the bed, plenty of space, etc.

Had a Lander (4 axle rigid with Premium cab) for five years, loved it.

As you probably know it’s a Volvo driveline; biggest issue I had with Renaults was the Cardiff dealership was poor.

Go for it. Face it, a Renault Midlum even would be better than a Merc.

Haven’t even sat in the new cab versions, but with Ovlov drivetrain and from my experience of older versions a much better ride for ageing bones :smiling_imp:

I have driven Renault cabs for years, great to drive and comfortable, a little tght on space for tramping compared to DAF or Volvo but I got on fine with them. Last one I had was the high version which had loads of storage and space. Seemed every firm I went to I ended up with a Renault. I rather liked them and even became quite fond of them.

High engine hump if it’s not the tallest cab,can’t walk though and storage space not the best,usually has fridge under bunk and some have microwaves in top passenger side locker,electronic handbrake and not many power sockets(we’ve a couple of 68 plates on hire,might have changed layout on newer ones though).
Steering rake doesn’t adjust lower enough for me.
They do pull well though,I believe it’s all Volvo drivetrain in them and they hold the road and don’t bounce.
I’ve a new Merc and it’s the biggest pile of crap I’ve had to drive,anything’s better then a new Merc and if your faced with a choice take the Renault for gods sake :smiley: :smiley: or stick with the old Merc…

Next best thing to a Volvo as said, Volvo underneath pretty much.

100 times better than a Merc hands down.

Electric park brake which works well, press the pedal and go, pull to apply it and they auto apply if you open the door.

Eco roll on most of our hire ones can be turned off, set eco roll setting to 55 to 57 mph and they don’t lose speed up hills other than 1mph either way.

Decent comfort and enough space tbh.

Personally I’d say jump at the chance over a Merc.

Manual also isn’t programmed out of ours so can use manual changes when you feel like it.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

I’ve had no experience with electronic handbrake (don’t laugh :blush: :smiley: ) …how do they work exactly?
Are they idiot (or Rob :laughing: ) proof?
Simon has already said it comes on if you open the door, which is a good idea, what other safety features do they have?
Are they better than a standard set up, or tech for tech sake…a la mirror cams.

The electronic brake is as easy to use as an ir brake, you push it to move and give it a light pull for on when stopped.

Pretty straightforward units Renaults,apart from the electronic handbrake which the new Mercs and MANs have now they aren’t tech happy,still have mirrors etc.
Pull the handbrake to engage,push in to disengage,not sure about them coming on when doors opened,some don’t if it’s still in gear.
My Merc wouldn’t disengage the other day and I ended up switching engine off and back on,they really are Hitlers revenge…

Electronic handbrake is a doddle. Press the accelerator and it will auto release, 99% of the time. If it needs you to manually release it a message will come up on the dash. To manually release press died brake pedal or accelerator and push the lever forward to disengage.

Usually if you have left it in gear and applied the handbrake.

It does need the engine running for the auto apply when opening the door. I haven’t tried the suggestion of opening or then releasing the park brake manually though.

Some have the eco roll settings and some don’t so it may depend. Some you can adjust both settings some only one on the man display.

There a pretty good unit pull well comfortable plenty of space, power steering is very very light a bit unnerving until you get used to it.
Ditch the Merc rubbish and grab the Reno

I drove a 13 plate for a mo th, waiting for a new XF when I was on with Saville’s, its a comfortable ride, I think the bed was OK too. The dashboard has been designed by a 5 year old after a sugar binge… all silly corners, sticky out air vents, and zilch cubby holes or usefull flat table surface.

Oh, and that engine hump…

It will of course depend on its spec and age etc to some degree. The one I’m in tonight on an 18 plate has no settings to turn it off. But from memory it means it hasn’t got eco roll. The ones with AEBS sometimes trigger for no reason but I find that a rarity and they never anchor up usually just a warning and cancels cruise control. None of the Renault’s we’ve had have adaptive cruise control.

Some pull much better than others as well depends on the BHP. But most still pull well.

Plastics are a bit crap if not looked after as well. Side lockers are a decent ish size.

Climate works ok but I find if you have it on hot it stays hot even when turned down unless you have the blowers on for a bit then it will cool down.

Some pictures of a fairly povvo spec unit.

simcor:
Next best thing to a Volvo as said, Volvo underneath pretty much.

Yes, when Volvo and Renault merged, it was said that Volvo gave Renault the driveline and Renault gave Volvo the electrics. :stuck_out_tongue:

The one thing I do find infuriating with the Renault’s is the switches not being back lit enough, so findig the interior light switch in the dark can be a pain. But you can resolve that by opening the door to put the lights on.

All of our rentals have fridges and the temp control is on the top at the back, lift the bunk and pull drawer out and you’ll see it. I often have a partially frozen bottle of squash if it’s on its lowest setting.

Also a handy way to clear error codes for Renault and Volvo, doesn’t always work depends on what codes are stored etc.

youtu.be/pOsVxTA2FfA