Renault Premium consumption

Looking at a new Renault Premium 450 6x2. Prices are attractive and the trucks have came a long way in recent years. One concern I have though is fuel consumption. How good/bad is it?

Anyone got experience of recent models up to three years old?

How are they on fuel mpg-wise and how would you rate them overall?

Appreciate any constructive first-hand information. :smiley:

Iā€™m pleased with mine :laughing:

itā€™s not quite the same as a unit , itā€™s a rigid with a livestock box that has the aerodynamic properties of a brick, but Iā€™m getting another mile per gallon that I did with the Daf 85 CF 380 that it replaced ! ( the computer reads 8.6mpg )

DenisF, thanks mateā€¦thatā€™s just the kind of feedback Iā€™m looking for. Cheers.

The Premium has indeed come a long way since itā€™s early days.

Now Volvo powered with an I-Shift type gearbox, and the power has steadily increased over the last few years from 440 to 460bhp, (In Volvo guise.) so plenty under the right foot.

Have driven them as a fleet driver, like Denis, I have had low to high 8ā€™s out of them, and been lucky enough to get 9.5mpg running steadily. Iā€™ve no doubt that with the right conditions, 10mpg is possible. (I had 10.2mpg out of an XF480 last week after over 1300kms in 2 1/2 days.)

Ken.

Quinny:
The Premium has indeed come a long way since itā€™s early days.

Now Volvo powered with an I-Shift type gearbox, and the power has steadily increased over the last few years from 440 to 460bhp, (In Volvo guise.) so plenty under the right foot.

Have driven them as a fleet driver, like Denis, I have had low to high 8ā€™s out of them, and been lucky enough to get 9.5mpg running steadily. Iā€™ve no doubt that with the right conditions, 10mpg is possible. (I had 10.2mpg out of an XF480 last week after over 1300kms in 2 1/2 days.)

Ken.

Ken thanks. Were you running heavy to get the 9.5mpg or pretty light/empty? Cheers.

Running heavy with DHL on the agency and getting 8ish, (Shampoo, shower gel, washing up liquid etc and some pallets triple stacked.) and lightish was with newspaper magazines at another customer, meaning once tipped, usually empty back to base, or reload with similar. I remember when we got them new at Butts, (53 plate.) Renault guaranteed the fuel at 10mpg, and that was with the old 420DCi engine. The engines from 450bhp Iā€™m sure run Adblue whereas the 440 doesnā€™t.

I have to say that those who rubbish the Premium probably drove them when they were running 385bhp and 4/4 slap over boxes, but the new generation are a totally different breed. My gripe though is with the interior which is very light and prone to getting dirty quick especially the drivers seat. Iā€™m sure that a decent seat cover will sort that out and a regular polish on the dash. And get window deflectors as the wash/wipe when used does tend to end up with a lot of it on the glass.

And some donā€™t like them as the steps tend to rattle after a while. An easy fix is to replace the nuts that hold the steps on, with back to back lock nuts. One of the fitters at Somerfield told me that when I had my 340 shopping trolley. You could have woken the dead with the step rattle.

Why not see if you can hire one first or see the local dealer for a demo, and then go from there. I think youā€™ll be pleasantly surprised for a fleet truck, and at the end of the day, itā€™s Volvo for Renault money.(And I like both.)

Ken.

We run two premiums , a 440 non adblue and a 450 with adblue , they both do similar work full weight and light loads etc , a mix of both.
The onboard computer puts the 440 at about 7.8 mpg and the 450 at around 8.8 mpg which basically evens it out if you deduct adblue usage :neutral_face:

Take in to account that your decent drivers will probably leave you for a DAF rather than live with the lack of storage space and elbow room in a Renault, and you may be left with heavy footed drivers.

I have to say that I donā€™t find the Premium a bad motor now, and whereas there is a lack of space for a week of tramping, to do a couple of nights out in a one isnā€™t really a hardship, and I wouldnā€™t turn my nose up at it given the opportunity.

There is a large amount of storage under the bunk, and you can specify some of that for a fridge from the dealer.

The outside lockers however, are not a lot of use, and you may get a few ratchet straps in, but they are certainly not big enough to put wet weather gear in, however, remember that the Premium is a FLEET motor. If you want bigger, get a Magnum.

http://www.renault-trucks.co.uk/premium-long-distance/home-premium-long-distance.html

Ken.

Quinny:
I have to say that I donā€™t find the Premium a bad motor now, and whereas there is a lack of space for a week of tramping, to do a couple of nights out in a one isnā€™t really a hardship, and I wouldnā€™t turn my nose up at it given the opportunity.

There is a large amount of storage under the bunk, and you can specify some of that for a fridge from the dealer.

The outside lockers however, are not a lot of use, and you may get a few ratchet straps in, but they are certainly not big enough to put wet weather gear in, however, remember that the Premium is a FLEET motor. If you want bigger, get a Magnum.

http://www.renault-trucks.co.uk/premium-long-distance/home-premium-long-distance.html

Ken.

Our Premiums actually have more outside and inside storage than the magnum we run :frowning: Lot more room to move about in magnum but the layout inside of the 06 we have is badly designed , i believe the new model is better :smiley:

HI YA.I RUN A 460 DXI.SHE,S ONLY 2 MONTHS OLD SO ENGINE NEEDS TO LOSEN UP ABIT BUT ITS RETURNING AROUND 8.8 ON CONTAINERS.FANTASTIC TRUCK TO DRIVE AND I,M OUT ALL WEEK IN IT AND I,M NOT A SMALL LAD.HAD A 440DXI ON A 06 PLATE BEFORE AND THAT RETURNED ON AVERAGE 8.5.NOT EVERYONES CUP OF TEA I KNOW BUT FROM A BUSINESS POINT OF VIEW YOU GET A VOLVO DRIVELINE AND AT Ā£56,000 THEY,RE AS GOOD AS ANYTHING ELSE.CHEERS. :smiley:

Steve

Turn ya caps off mate.

Ken.

Quinny:
Steve

Turn ya caps off mate.

Ken.

does it make it difficult to read with caps on?

Itā€™s not that. Caps is seen as shouting at someone in terms of internet forum etiquette.

Ken.

steve597:

Quinny:
Steve

Turn ya caps off mate.

Ken.

does it make it difficult to read with caps on?

No but it implies you are shouting

Quinny:
Itā€™s not that. Caps is seen as shouting at someone in terms of internet forum etiquette.

Ken.

thanks for the tip ken.

60 Plate Premium 460 6x2, 27k on the clock now and its averaged 7.4mpg over 6500miles according to the computer, this is pulling a double decker usually pretty heavy approx 60miles a night on country lanes / single carrigeway and 120miles on motorway.

Drove a couple of new model Premiums during the summer, both 3 years old. On flat bed work I was getting about 9.5 that was full weight out, pre-stressed concrete, and empty back on short trips out of Norfolk. Then went tramping on Curtainsider work, the trailers were 15ā€™ worst I got was 7.5, but it was heavy work and short distances without a lot of motorways. Also I think adjusting the airkit might have helped.

Having driven many Premiums over the years, and swaping between old and new one as I was covering holidays. Got to say the new Premium is massive leap forward, itā€™s quieter, the ride is nice and comfortable, you actually feel that the engine has got a bit of grunt and the Opticruise, (Ishift) gearbox is great.

Sure the cab is a litte small compared to sum, I was driving a Globetroter XL before, but it had enough space for all my gear for the week. I could keep enough straps in the outside lockers for most jobs, but I had some more under the bunk for pallets.

As for good drivers leaving because you are buying them, I think the only ones youā€™d lose are those that have ego problems and feel itā€™s some insult to thier manhood to be seen driving a Premium.

muckles:
As for good drivers leaving because you are buying them, I think the only ones youā€™d lose are those that have ego problems and feel itā€™s some insult to thier manhood to be seen driving a Premium.

Iā€™ve had the ā€œIā€™m not driving that thingā€ and " How do you drive that heap of junk?" attitude from fellow drivers, they donā€™t believe me when I tell them I like it and its great. I think its a great truck, lovely to drive, loads of power, comfortable. I would rather have one of these over many other things.

Guys thanks for the info so far. Itā€™s all good. Consumption sounds good. Stilll mulling over. Cheers.