Removing tacho

the maoster:
Why put it on break before removing the card Fred? After all you can show break when doing the manual entry, and if one fancied taking pedantry to a higher level one could say that putting it on break PRIOR to removing the card would technically mean you were doing other work whilst on break by then removing the card. :wink:

Why canā€™t we have a ā€˜LIKEā€™ button on this forum ā€¦ 'cos I like this ^^^^ :smiley:

fredthered:
Put on break and remove card, make sure itā€™s on break when you return (ensure sufficient break taken!) and re-insert card and change mode switch accordingly. No dramas!

Legally you must do a manual entry to cover the time the card was out of the tachograph, so it doesnā€™t matter what mode the tachograph is on when you eject the card or when you reinsert it.

tachograph:

fredthered:
Put on break and remove card, make sure itā€™s on break when you return (ensure sufficient break taken!) and re-insert card and change mode switch accordingly. No dramas!

Legally you must do a manual entry to cover the time the card was out of the tachograph, so it doesnā€™t matter what mode the tachograph is on when you eject the card or when you reinsert it.

Just to confirm, finish your shift and remove card, insert card next day to start a new shift or period of work do a manual entry to cover your daily rest?

Tachograph, I bow unreservedly to your superior knowledge!

Personally I never do - if I put it on bed when I finish any work or driving Iā€™m on exactly that - rest/break or whatever. Whenever I return, I put it on bed again before inserting my card. The period between removal and reinsertion is my rest/break period and I can truthfully confirm that!

I never work on break or rest periods. I know legally and all that that I should account for any time Iā€™m not at my place of work but to be honest I canā€™t be bothered accounting for every minute of my life and Iā€™ve never been challenged about it.

fredthered:
Just to confirm, finish your shift and remove card, insert card next day to start a new shift or period of work do a manual entry to cover your daily rest?

On a type 1 tachograph thereā€™s no reason to record your daily rest period, on a type 2 tachograph plenty of people have been caught out and had their daily rest recorded as other work because they never did a manual entry for the rest period.

However the scenario in this thread is a card being withdrawn during a shift so the driver can have his/her break away from the vehicle while other people use it, in this case the activities for the time the card is out of the tachograph should be manually put into the tachograph when the card is inserted after the break, failure to do so could potentially cost you money and if done regularly could gain the operator offence points on the OCRS.

matt18244:
hey,
When I come back to my yard to re-load during the day there is normally a 2/3 hour wait due to a cue

WTF is the world coming to?? Obviously Cliff Thorburn is alive and well :unamused:

Tell the gaffer to swap the snooker table for a pool table. Break, spots or stripes, 8 ball off three cushions and into the middle bag, winner stays on! Job done, change out of 10 minutes! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

When digi tachos first came in.
Wasā€™nt the workshop given a card to put in if they moved the viecle.
So shouldā€™nt anyone shunting the viecle put a card in to do it.
No argument then! ! :wink:

jaydee:
When digi tachos first came in.
Wasā€™nt the workshop given a card to put in if they moved the viecle.

No, the workshop card is not used for moving the vehicle, itā€™s for things like calibration and changing some settings.

Jaycee:
So shouldā€™nt anyone shunting the viecle put a card in to do it.

Not if all they do is shunt, not necessary to put a card in.

tachograph:

fredthered:

On a type 1 tachograph thereā€™s no reason to record your daily rest period, on a type 2 tachograph plenty of people have been caught out and had their daily rest recorded as other work because they never did a manual entry for the rest period.

However the scenario in this thread is a card being withdrawn during a shift so the driver can have his/her break away from the vehicle while other people use it, in this case the activities for the time the card is out of the tachograph should be manually put into the tachograph when the card is inserted after the break, failure to do so could potentially cost you money and if done regularly could gain the operator offence points on the OCRS.

Tachograph, as ever succinct and to the point! I wasnā€™t criticising just trying (badly) to make a point about the way we are constantly monitored.

shep532:
Itā€™s fine. Remove card, have break, insert card, manual input break and carry on. What you are doing is recording the truth so nothing to worry about. No need for any printouts either - or letters from the boss. This is exactly the kind of thing the manual input feature is there for.

Oh and donā€™t put your card in slot 2 as has been suggested. When they move the vehicle itā€™ll interrupt your break and record a POA

But a break can be taken on a moving vehicle notwithstanding that itā€™s showing as POA.

The digi card is your property ,you are responsible for it.The truck belongs to the firm while you are the main user its not yours I would take my card with me and if another authorised user moves the motor then the movements wont be recorded on my card.

bestbooties:
But a break can be taken on a moving vehicle notwithstanding that itā€™s showing as POA.

Only on multi-manned operations. The OPā€™s situation would not be a multi-manned operation as the drivers are required to be together for all but the first hour of the shift so slot 2 is no good in this case.

alamcculloch:
The digi card is your propertyā€¦

[pedantic_mode]The card is not actually your property. Just like your Driving Licence it is actually the property of the Secretary of State for Transport.[/pedantic_mode] :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

I sometimes shunt other driverā€™s trucks around if they come back out of hours. They remove their card and I park the truck and trailer up for them. I do this without a card in and my own card on other work. Iā€™m led to assume that this driving is out of scope as it starts and ends at the same off road location so doesnā€™t require my card being inserted.

This happens all the time and weā€™ve never had any problems with it. The company delights in giving people infringements so they probably wouldnā€™t let us do it if it was illegal.

Terry T:
I sometimes shunt other driverā€™s trucks around if they come back out of hours. They remove their card and I park the truck and trailer up for them. I do this without a card in and my own card on other work. Iā€™m led to assume that this driving is out of scope as it starts and ends at the same off road location so doesnā€™t require my card being inserted.

This happens all the time and weā€™ve never had any problems with it. The company delights in giving people infringements so they probably wouldnā€™t let us do it if it was illegal.

I was lead to believe that if ā€œthe journey starts and ends on private landā€ then you donā€™t need a card however if part of the journey takes place on public roads you need a card in for all of it.

Not sure if Iā€™m breaking the law when Iā€™ve had to go out of the yard to spin round because there is no room. My place of work is on Immingham docks.

Terry T:

Iā€™d say thatā€™s the easiest and best way to do it.

Itā€™s legal to which is always a bonus :slight_smile:

Radar19:
Not sure if Iā€™m breaking the law when Iā€™ve had to go out of the yard to spin round because there is no room. My place of work is on Immingham docks.

If youā€™re going out to a public place you should use a card, but I donā€™t know anyone who would just to spin round.

Depends how much law there is around I suppose :wink:

tachograph:

Radar19:

If youā€™re going out to a public place you should use a card, but I donā€™t know anyone who would just to spin round.

Not seen any law around to be honest. I wasnā€™t sure if the dock counts as public road or not.

Radar19:

tachograph:

Radar19:

Not seen any law around to be honest. I wasnā€™t sure if the dock counts as public road or not.

There are two things at play here, deciding if something is a road and/or a public place where regulations apply. A road is generally assumed to be anywhere the public have access to. It breaks down further into deciding whether itā€™s a road or a highway and gets a bit complicated.

A public place can also have regulations such as the Road Traffic act applied to it, a supermarket car park for instance isnā€™t a road or highway but is a public place and you could be done for motoring offences, drink driving etc in one of those. That gets complicated by the fact that sometimes car parks are only public places while the establishment is open, a pub car park for instance.

Where you work it would really come down to public access. Port of Dover for instance is a place where the various rules and regulations apply as the public have access to use the ferries.***

***Iā€™m dangling that one to see if it tempts out one of the most famous driverā€™s myths to be posted. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

bestbooties:

shep532:
Itā€™s fine. Remove card, have break, insert card, manual input break and carry on. What you are doing is recording the truth so nothing to worry about. No need for any printouts either - or letters from the boss. This is exactly the kind of thing the manual input feature is there for.

Oh and donā€™t put your card in slot 2 as has been suggested. When they move the vehicle itā€™ll interrupt your break and record a POA

I thought that counted only if itā€™s a multi manned shift?
Besides, if the card is in the slot it will record the vehicle being driven during a break which means any rest taken up to 45 mins wonā€™t count as well as driving over 4.5 hours without a proper break.
Ok so itā€™s not going to be a huge amount of driving but it does cause a problem for the driver. Just remove the card, take the break, let the shunter do what they have to do and then make a manual entry when you put the card back in. Why leave something on your driving record that will need an explanation if you get pulled?

I was just a bit concerned that if they check my card it shows a manual entry for a break and if they check the tacho it will show my card been pulled the truck moving and they my card back in. They might think I was pulling the card and moving it myself as I would be the only person recorded driving it before and after.