Removing tacho

hey,
When I come back to my yard to re-load during the day there is normally a 2/3 hour wait due to a cue, constantly creeping forward.
when I turned up today I was on 4.15mins drive time so pulled up out of the cue to have my break so I didn’t have to hold everyone up or move whilst on break.
the boss has asked us in future if we need a break to take cards out leave the keys in and one of the shunters will move the truck when its needed, we can wait in the canteen.
question is; obviously id put a manual entry in once my card was back in saying I was on break but would vosa ever question my card been out and the truck moving every 20 mins or so, then car been re entered and the truck back to normal driving?
im a little concerned it may look like im taking a break although im not.
thanks in advance :smiley:

We do that occasionally when I have to go back and reload to go back out. I have no part in it so have lunch/break whatever. I take card out, made mistake of leaving it in once and they moved it . I wasn’t happy they should have asked but learnt from it . I now ask where they want it and if it’s going to be moved I take card out. Put manual entry in to say on break after cancelling driving without card. I don’t bother with printout as way I see it I was away from vehicle and my manual entry covers that period so if VoSA asked about vehicle movements , which I doubt they would , I can say on break explain why card removed and put back in after break.

Can’t see a problem with it. As far as I’m concerned I’ve stayed legal

If you are ever asked why the card is pulled, just tell them the truth.
As there is nothing wrong with the current set-up then you have nothing to worry about.

Seems fine to me. Mark on your printout why the card was removed and that you were not in the vehicle.

perfectly ok as long as your on break an not doing any other work.
you can always ask the boss to just give you a letter stating the position just in case and it’ll always cover him for any discrepancy’s if you get pulled.

The-Snowman:
Seems fine to me. Mark on your printout why the card was removed and that you were not in the vehicle.

I don’t do a printout, your making me wonder now if I should !

Was happy oblivious.

The-Snowman:

no need to do any printout really

dcgpx:

The-Snowman:

I don’t do a printout, your making me wonder now if I should !

Was happy oblivious.

no need to …do as I said just ask boss for a note saying that when you return the shunter will at tie if required take over yard movements its good for him to do that as it shows he’s identified and put a practice in place to allow movements to happen

Why not just remove the card from slot 1 and put in the second driver position while on break, and the shunter is doing the ‘driving’. When returning to the vehicle put the card back in the slot 1 position.

Our wagons get moved around the yard all weekend by the shunters, never been quizzed on it.

Radar19:
Our wagons get moved around the yard all weekend by the shunters, never been quizzed on it.

Maybe not yet , but I think this thread is IF VoSA pull you will it get questioned as it would show vehicle being moved during what you’ve put in as a manual entry, sure their not daft and will be ok with it .

It’s more a what if scenario

thanks for the reply’s folks. much appreciated
If I get stopped and asked ill just be honest with them

dcgpx:

Radar19:

Maybe not yet , but I think this thread is IF VoSA pull you will it get questioned as it would show vehicle being moved during what you’ve put in as a manual entry, sure their not daft and will be ok with it .

It’s more a what if scenario

They will see the time difference between my pulling my card on Friday then putting it back in on Monday. In addition to moving them around at weekends they also get moved around at night because our yard is so busy. 250-300 trailers in and out of there everyday/night.

There’s nothing wrong with taking your card out so someone else can move the vehicle, I wouldn’t bother doing printouts either.

If you get stopped just tell them the truth then it’s up-to them to check if they want to, as long as your boss/TM knows about it there shouldn’t be a problem.

I reckon what your boss says is ok, I wouldn’t bother with printouts if its a regular thing, just the manual entry when you get the truck back. If the DVSA (VOSA) are suspicious they’ll do a follow up check and if its as you say then that will be the end of it or they may suggest an official looking letter from your boss to say what your procedures are. I know they recommended that to at least one company who were doing a similar thing.

I see Tachograph has written virtually the same as me, :smiley:

It’s fine. Remove card, have break, insert card, manual input break and carry on. What you are doing is recording the truth so nothing to worry about. No need for any printouts either - or letters from the boss. This is exactly the kind of thing the manual input feature is there for.

Oh and don’t put your card in slot 2 as has been suggested. When they move the vehicle it’ll interrupt your break and record a POA

matt18244:
thanks for the reply’s folks. much appreciated
If I get stopped and asked ill just be honest with them

Best way. If its local where you get tugged they’ll be aware of it. Most you’re likely to get is told what you should be doing and sent on your way duly told off.

nick2008:
you can always ask the boss to just give you a letter stating the position just in case and it’ll always cover him for any discrepancy’s if you get pulled.

I’ve read some funny ■■■■ on here but this golden! Can hear the laughter now as I ask the gaffa for this letter of justification in the off chance(2% chance) of being pulled. Ffs some of you lot need to man up! The vosa blokes really aren’t that bad and accept common sense reasons for anything if you don’t be a ■■■■ from the off.
Jeez some of the ■■■■ on here from grown men is ridiculous :laughing:

Put on break and remove card, make sure it’s on break when you return (ensure sufficient break taken!) and re-insert card and change mode switch accordingly. No dramas!

Why put it on break before removing the card Fred? After all you can show break when doing the manual entry, and if one fancied taking pedantry to a higher level one could say that putting it on break PRIOR to removing the card would technically mean you were doing other work whilst on break by then removing the card. :wink: