Removing grease from hi-viz clothing

It doesn’t seem to matter how careful I am, I keep getting grease marks on my hi-viz vest and all-weather jacket :angry: . Hot soapy water doesn’t do [zb] and I’m wondering if there is any magic product you fellas use to get the grease out? Ta.

Try Vanish liquid! Squirt some on the Grease and agitate! Then throw in the Washing machine! :wink:

Trouble is Rob, it’s like a dye. Washing up liquid will get rid of the grease so you can touch it, but the black stain will be there still. Why can’t they use white grease on fifth wheels these days, would look a lot better on your jacket than that black crap

Your not a real trucker till your blathered in it!

You’ll be wanting to know best way to polish your boots next! :wink:

dessy:
Try Vanish liquid! Squirt some on the Grease and agitate! Then throw in the Washing machine! :wink:

:slight_smile: Can anyone else vouch for this?

OVLOV JAY:
Trouble is Rob, it’s like a dye. Washing up liquid will get rid of the grease so you can touch it, but the black stain will be there still. Why can’t they use white grease on fifth wheels these days, would look a lot better on your jacket than that black crap

Yeah that’s what I mean, the WUL will sort-of get rid of it but the remaining ‘skid’ mark looks a mess and you just look like a scrubber. When you’re working direct for companies, impressions and appearance count for a lot and you get a whole bunch more respect from t/o staff and their own drivers if you turn up in clean and unmarked work gear.

STEVECB1300:
Your not a real trucker till your blathered in it!

You’ll be wanting to know best way to polish your boots next! :wink:

:smiley:

brake and clutch cleaner spray, carry one in your bag, spray when you have grease on then wipe with rags.

try swarfega and an old toothbrush.

spray wd 40 on the grease,rub the grease till its faded,then put in the washing machine.

andy187:
brake and clutch cleaner spray, carry one in your bag, spray when you have grease on then wipe with rags.

That seems a top tip, I’ll try it next time :slight_smile:

GCR2ERF:

andy187:

That seems a top tip, I’ll try it next time :slight_smile:

Brake spray without a doubt, and it dries virtually instant too.

andy187:

Every time this question comes up on here that is the most posted solution so I would go with that one.

Coffeeholic:

andy187:

Every time this question comes up on here that is the most posted solution so I would go with that one.

I did see the other thread but it was somewhat specific to removing grease from carpets which of course are a completely different material to the polyester(?) of most hi-viz items.

Rob K:
It doesn’t seem to matter how careful I am, I keep getting grease marks on my hi-viz vest and all-weather jacket :angry: . Hot soapy water doesn’t do [zb] and I’m wondering if there is any magic product you fellas use to get the grease out? Ta.

Find yourself a wife/girlfriend. Problem solved. :wink: :smiley:

Use contact cleaner (the non residue one) for electric contacts and some kitchen towel etc. if you wash it and it doesn’t come out you’re snookerd because it is in the fibre soaked during the wash process, so clean it first before you put it in the wash.
Another thing what prevents it a bit, is to coat your high-viz gear with 3M carpet and upholstery protector.
Makes it a bit waterproof and avoid grease and food spills to get soaked in the fibre.
10 minutes work gives a lot of pleasure when you wipe the mess of the coating of your gear.

Soda crystels like the ones you put down the kitchen sink. Chuck some in with your work clothes or wet the patch then heap it on leave for a bit and wash.

Go and ask for a new one :smiley:

use a name:
spray wd 40 on the grease,rub the grease till its faded,then put in the washing machine.

i can vouch for that,i got grease on my sweatshirt the other day,put a load of WD40 as well as asdas version of vanish,put it in the wash & it all came out.
will have to do same tonight as have got a load of grease on the cuff off my glove & it was all over my wrist as well as the sweatshirt :imp:

Rob K:

Coffeeholic:

andy187:

I did see the other thread but it was somewhat specific to removing grease from carpets which of course are a completely different material to the polyester(?) of most hi-viz items.

That wasn’t the thread I was thinking of, there have been threads about removing it from Hi-Viz items before. I remember a couple of our female members started taking the ■■■■ about all the blokes swapping laundry tips on one of them.