Remapping.

Can someone explain remapping to me?

I’m not thinking of having it done, because I don’t want to risk disturbing the truck. But here’s the typical promise.

Are you looking for more power, torque and better MPG from your Truck? If so, here is the answer. (Company name removed) performance Remapping will dramatically improve your trucks performance and improve its MPG at the same time!

Typical fuel economy improvements are 10% whilst also enjoying the extra pulling power on hills etc. The remap will have paid for itself in no time!

• Typical 10% improvement in Fuel Consumption
  • A massive 25% improvement in BHP and Torque
  • Less Driver Fatigue
  • Reduce Journey Times
  • Increase your Profits

The obvious question is that if it does all of this, why don’t truck manufacturers map the ecu differently in the first place?

The obvious answer is…emissions, most of the remapping involves removing the retarded retarded timing settings within the original ECU, this frees up more power, the power is produced more efficiently, so can bring fuel savings…as long as you don’t abuse the power :wink:

But I still don’t understand why manufacturers send trucks out of the factory in sub-optimal conditions, given that they generally compete fiercely for the best m.p.g and power figures.

Presumably a re-mapped truck is still capable of passing the emissions test at M.O.T. so why don’t manufacturers send them out of the factory in the same condition that a re-mapper offers?

Harry Monk:
But I still don’t understand why manufacturers send trucks out of the factory in sub-optimal conditions, given that they generally compete fiercely for the best m.p.g and power figures.

Presumably a re-mapped truck is still capable of passing the emissions test at M.O.T. so why don’t manufacturers send them out of the factory in the same condition that a re-mapper offers?

Don’t know the exact MOT standards Harry but there might be a bit of a difference between the standards expected of manufacturers by the authorities compared to what a customer can get away with aftermarket. :bulb:

You wouldn’t declare it’s had a remap at test it either meets the standard or it doesn’t.

Carryfast:
Don’t know the exact MOT standards Harry but there might be a bit of a difference between the standards expected of manufacturers by the authorities compared to what a customer can get away with aftermarket. :bulb:

Logical answer, thanks.

Truck makers Harry in a nut shell may have diffrent or slightly diffrent emissons world wide so its sort of easier to make them the same for easy production.
just one little bit of advise the magnum is supposely■■? a little hard to chip/remap!!! even tho its a volvo lump the soft where is all reno, or so i was told when i wanted the magnum i had remapping?? also be careful who you chooce to do it !!! people can write statements all day long with fred blogs getting 200mpg now and john smith now going up hills and doing 200mpg , you get my drift there H,you aint daft thats for sure… But Chooce wisely who if you do decide to remap, but i wouldnt go the north wales/chester area side of the country :wink: to have it remapped stay clear :exclamation:

We remap all our trucks and always have done “scanias & even the down hill racers” but i will only ever let one man touch them on the remap side if he carnt do it i dont have them done,

All engines have tolerances built in for longevity and are slightly over engineered to help this. So you can remap (or tune them if you like) to deliver more but it can have an effect on the engines life span. Just like if you work the knackers of something all the time it will wear out faster then if it is operated at its optimal level.

All vehicles are designed to opperate under driver abuse in a variety of conditions (extreme hot & cold), on various degrees of fuel quality with a good mechanical safety margin, while still meeting the latest emission regs. Re-mapping just removes some of the safety margin.

I had a TDCI Ford a while ago that was chipped. It really did improve by 10mpg and was more flexible at roll-on overtaking.

The official line is that manufacturers build a vehicle for many different markets, they have to work efficiently in multiple temperatures and with good and poor fuel specifications.

Temperatures of -40 in Finland to +40 in Maroc. Fuel quality of Greek Diesel or ULSD from Stanlow differs significantly.

Fleet buyers want standardisation throughout the fleet.

The Manufacturer will test the vehicle in both climates and set it to work efficiently at both extremes. With a remap, they can finely tune that data to make it run better and have a bit more power.

We used to convert Chrysler Jeeps to Gas and the manufacturer wouldn’t accept warranty claims, although that is illegal, unless they could prove that the gas had done the damage to a component. As soon as we switched them over to gas, the engine management light would come on because of the oxygen sensors getting different levels. We discovered you could trick them by altering the ECU with a laptop

The manufacturers do remap their engines, the difference between a 380 and a 480 is often just a subtle reworking of the ECU :open_mouth:

I took a brand new (for the launch) Daf CF down to Spain from the factory in Eindhoven, I was part of a convoy of different models, ranging from a 210hp rigid to a 430 space cab artic, I finished off the trip in the 430 space cab, when we arrived the Spanish test driver for Daf took that unit to show a customer, but before he went he put a chip in the ECU and the 430 was now a 480, took him 5mins at most :wink:

You have to be careful with remapping as Gobby said, some of them just turn up the fuel, this will cause no end of problems :open_mouth:

ive had my fh460 done about 2 months ago and know its settled im more than impressed with the results,average 9.7 mpg pulling 20t + everyday and went up windy hill today dropping only 2mph ,well chuffed but then again im easily pleased

most washing machine companies do the same as truck, and car manufacturers.
1000 spin £200
1500 spin £250
2000 spin £300

look inside. it’s the exact same machine, but the dil switch settings are different.

some trucks have say a 480bhp, and a 530bhp motor. they are both the exact same engine. but they are programmed differently.

limeyphil:
1000 spin £200
1500 spin £250
2000 spin £300

look inside. it’s the exact same machine, but the dil switch settings are different.

some trucks have say a 480bhp, and a 530bhp motor. they are both the exact same engine. but they are programmed differently.

The only way to physically alter the engine capacity is to use a different stroke, bore or compression ratio. In the case of a 13litre Volvo each power output uses exactly the same cubic capacity.

Seems the typically ambiguous Trucknet response.

I’ve thought about it but never bitten the bullet as above for every person that rates it I’ve heard a horror story from someone else.

Own Account Driver:
Seems the typically ambiguous Trucknet response.

I’ve thought about it but never bitten the bullet as above for every person that rates it I’ve heard a horror story from someone else.

You read the posts and makes your choice.

I usually bring any of my technical posts round to racing, for each field, track or corner there will be an optimum setting. The first thing to do is get the gearing right, change the final drive, sprockets or tyre sizes. Then you fine tune it with a chip. Watch Mugello Moto GP on Sunday and you will hear them talking about finding a good setting. Each team will probably have a selection of pre-set chips for every circuit they have ever been to.

Wheel Nut:
The official line is that manufacturers build a vehicle for many different markets, they have to work efficiently in multiple temperatures and with good and poor fuel specifications.

Temperatures of -40 in Finland to +40 in Maroc. Fuel quality of Greek Diesel or ULSD from Stanlow differs significantly.

That about sums it up, the truck has to leave the factory capable of passing EU emissions limits with a tank full of Greeks finest derv, despite the fact the truck might never get further south than Romney Marsh :confused: .

Theres two types of chipping:
One is a device that intercepts and modifys the fuel pressure signal from common rail systems and fools the system into running at a higher fuel pressure which forces more fuel into the cylinders when under full load. This type is a cheapo fix that won’t neccesarily improve MPG and puts the fuel pump and injectors under more load, early failure of these components is usually imminent :frowning:

The other is a proper remap of the engine ECU by someone who hopefully knows what they are doing :neutral_face:

Wheel Nut:

limeyphil:
1000 spin £200
1500 spin £250
2000 spin £300

The only way to physically alter the engine capacity is to use a different stroke, bore or compression ratio. In the case of a 13litre Volvo each power output uses exactly the same cubic capacity.

as far as i know, remapping just adjusts the pump timing, increasing or decreasing the bhp.

on the DAF XF95, the 430/480 and 530 engine all use exactly the same engine which is a 12.6 litre block, apart from the turbo and a couple of other small bits, the main difference is the chip

limeyphil:

Wheel Nut:

limeyphil:
1000 spin £200
1500 spin £250
2000 spin £300

as far as i know, remapping just adjusts the pump timing, increasing or decreasing the bhp.

That is all it can do, gone are the days of going 50 thou oversize and gaining more power :stuck_out_tongue: