Relocating to bristol. What are people's shifts?

First post. I’m in the process of buying a house in bristol. I’ve got a few options on the table at the moment in regards to permanent work. Basically I’m after people who work for these companies to give me an idea on shift patterns, start times etc.

Robert wiseman avonmouth
Asda avonmouth
Co op avonmouth
Sainburys emersons green.

Many thanks

I don’t work for any of the above but have in the past via Agency ( my choice due to family )
I now work for a Blue chip company on the books but at present we have no vacancies.

The way forward into any of the company’s you mentioned is via their own websites as most employ via the agency…
Bald bloke will prob inform that Culina are taking on and its not a bad job with good kit and pay.
Another way into many of the mention company’s would be via Agency and the biggest that would cover a large proportion of the company’s would be ADR network.
Co-op are run by Norb dangaly bits
Asda I believe are in house so Asda
Sainsbury is DHL
not sure on Wisemans…
what part of Bristol are you moving to ?/
and welcome to our mult cultural multi lingual city :grimacing:

Moving to Redfield. Wisemans are taking on and so are Co op from what I can make out. As it’s our first mortgage I’d much prefer direct rather than agency.

Culina are taking on and it’ll almost certainly be 5 on 2 off either Sunday to Thursday or Tuesday to Saturday, easy work though mainly chilled with all good kit and salaried for average 48 hrs.

Co-op could be looking but don’t really have a good reputation as it’s run by Knobby Dressing table and there’s a lot of disgruntled drivers especially the ones on the newer type contract and I know this because some have come to us.

Try Bristol Fruit Sales they’re only 2 minutes away and that’s easy work with good kit, Palmer and Harvey are also close, Avonmouth has Tesco, Asda, Co-op, Malcolm the list goes on, oh and Samworth at Cribbs Causeway.

There’s loads of work in Bristol though you should be ok.

Sorry forgot start times at Culina are 24/7.

Thanks I appreciate your help. I should add I’ve been driver 26t rigids for the last 3 years. The company I work for put me through my class 1 last year but probably only sent me out a handful of times. Forwards is fine it’s just reversing that’s a bit of a challenge after driving rigids.

co-op have a huge turn over rate, cant keep there drivers. theres a huge amount of driving work in Avonmouth should,nt be too much trouble.

Good luck :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

What’s the issue at Co op? How come they get through so many drivers?

Stavross7:

I don’t know specifically, but from experience of other work, if lots of drivers are complaining and leaving, it’s generally not enough £££ for what’s being asked of you.

More details to follow, I’m sure. :sunglasses:

These Bristol firms have rigids and artics;Wrings at Longwell Green.
David Hathaway at Yate.
Massey Wilcox rail terminal at Avonmouth and HQ at Chilcompton.
Prompt Transport.
Richard Tovey Transport.

Truckulent:

Stavross7:

I don’t know specifically, but from experience of other work, if lots of drivers are complaining and leaving, it’s generally not enough £££ for what’s being asked of you.

The way they are treated , different drivers on different pay and conditions, and generally the way it’s run, im sure you could easily get a job there if you wanted to, our place is also after class 2 drivers and that’s Mon to Fri.

Truckulent:

Stavross7:

its the way drivers are treated … I know drivers that were all for ooh come with us and work at co-op etc etc and within a week or 3 they’ve left , time changes problems with delivery’s ie driver gets a rollickin for late delivery ( driver couldn’t get anywhere near the store 100mts away store wouldn’t assist driver so he took it back and was given a warning :open_mouth: )
apparently they cant organise a sand dance in a sand pit …

As you have limited class 1 experience you might give coop a go. There are over 60 vacancies and as long as you demonstrate a safe drive you will be in.

£27.5 k, 33 days incl bank hols. shift starts avail 6-8am. 8-10am 10-12 am. lots of weekend working and split restdays any 5 from 7. It will give you all the experience you will need getting into some of the tight shops etc. 48 hour averaged week. which you WILL do!

You could try Gist at Portbury but again not the best of reputations I’m afraid.

wrings are on the coast road from aust to avonmouth,you must be thinking of savile freight in longwell green,stobart are looking for drivers on car transporters out of portbury and they will train you

localboy:
As you have limited class 1 experience you might give coop a go. There are over 60 vacancies and as long as you demonstrate a safe drive you will be in.

£27.5 k, 33 days incl bank hols. shift starts avail 6-8am. 8-10am 10-12 am. lots of weekend working and split restdays any 5 from 7. It will give you all the experience you will need getting into some of the tight shops etc. 48 hour averaged week. which you WILL do!

True.

Or you could earn the same (or more?) working a nice easy trunk run, no hassle, quiet roads (if at night) with nothing more taxing than a couple of trailers to tuck under, and about 1% of the aggro.

The choice is yours. The type of job the Coop seems to be looks like a quick way to stress related health issues! Any place that has a high turnover of drivers should be a place you’re wary of. There’s always a reason, and it’s never good news…

Drivers don’t leave when they’re treated well/fairly and paid accordingly. Dead men’s shoes and all that. :sunglasses:

bald bloke:

Truckulent:

Stavross7:

The way they are treated , different drivers on different pay and conditions, and generally the way it’s run, im sure you could easily get a job there if you wanted to, our place is also after class 2 drivers and that’s Mon to Fri.

Bald bloke are you working for Culina? What sort of work is it?

Thanks for all the feedback

Stavross7:
Bald bloke are you working for Culina? What sort of work is it?

Yes. Our depot does Ambient and chilled but it’s predominantly chilled, it’s mainly RDC work with some smaller catering firms and some other small places but never shops, also there’s all the collections to do from big companies to farms making their own cheese etc.

All units no more than 3 yrs old and we are all Actros, they run strictly straight and would never let you or make you do anything illegal. We have lots of work at our place and there’s talk of getting more units.

Culina is another one constantly advertising, is it a case of people not staying or a growing company ?

Schofield:
Culina is another one constantly advertising, is it a case of people not staying or a growing company ?

Can’t speak for other depots but ours is getting more and more work coming in.

Cheers bald bloke, was just wondering as they are a regular advertiser.

In short Stavross theres plenty about down this neck of the woods.