Religious nutter tied in knots

Yes,I certainly was a sinner and still fall into sin,but the difference is,since being born again,there is a battle going on here.I get out quickly,there is no joy in sinful things,maybe momentary pleasure but no joy.
Yes,in a way,the cancer was rough ,the treatment,the chemo and everything,but spiritually,it was a gift.It was as if God opened the gates of hell for me to have a peek inside and it was terrifying.Im not claiming to have seen a vision of hell,but what I did experience was that pure fear,unlike anything I had experienced up to that point.
Just on a side note,those drugs,fentanyl and morphine,they gave me terrible hallucintaions and nightmares,I came off them in the end because I decided the pain was preferable.You wonder how people pay money to use this stuff recreationally

I only mentioned this because Robroy talked about fear of death.I sort of chuckled and thought,yes,I know that guy(fear of death)!

It must be comforting to know that your God will inflict cancer on you, oh, and babies and children so that you can come to fully appreciate him. It must give you a warm glow when he makes you suffer?

When I feel like suffering I normally find the biggest bloke in the pub and gob off to him. I find that the punch in the face really makes me reassess life and consequently makes me a better person.

Wow,youre a braver man than me!

But seriously,do you think my God ought to give us all perfect health.
Weve been killing each other since day one.Only today,I was reading the news,30000 sokdiers dead in ujraine

Zac_A:

Sploom:
Robroy.You say religion is repressive and restrictive and some religions are…but ,given that your comment was aimed at me and we are a sola scripture church,which means we only go by the Bible only,can you tell me where in the Bible this oppression and restrictions are?

Rob might not have that kind of info to hand, but I’ve got some: Check these verses from your precious “good book”: You want to try this malarkey in the modern world? You’ll be strung up by your scrotum (and not in the fun way! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: )

u A wife is a man’s property:[/u] You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor. Exodus 20:17

u Daughters can be bought and sold:[/u] If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as male servants do. Exodus 21:7

u A raped daughter can be sold to her ■■■■■■:[/u] 28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives. Deuteronomy 22:28-29

u Collecting wives and ■■■ slaves is a sign of status:[/u] He [Solomon] had seven hundred wives of royal birth and three hundred concubines, and his wives led him astray. 1 Kings 11:3

u Used brides deserve death:[/u] If, however the charge is true and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. Deuteronomy 22:20-21.

u Women, but only virgins, are to be taken as spoils of war: Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man,[/u] 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man. Numbers 31:17-18

u Menstruating women are spiritually unclean:[/u] 19 “‘When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening. 20 “‘Anything she lies on during her period will be unclean, and anything she sits on will be unclean. 21 Anyone who touches her bed will be unclean; they must wash their clothes and bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening. 22 Anyone who touches anything she sits on will be unclean; they must wash their clothes and bathe with water, . . . 30 The priest is to sacrifice one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering. In this way he will make atonement for her before the LORD for the uncleanness of her discharge. 31 “‘You must keep the Israelites separate from things that make them unclean, so they will not die in their uncleanness for defiling my dwelling place,[a] which is among them.’” Leviticus 15: 19-31

u A woman is twice as unclean after giving birth to girl as to a boy:[/u] A woman who becomes pregnant and gives birth to a son will be ceremonially unclean for seven days, just as she is unclean during her monthly period. ‘ 3 On the eighth day the boy is to be circumcised. 4 Then the woman must wait thirty-three days to be purified from her bleeding. She must not touch anything sacred or go to the sanctuary until the days of her purification are over. 5 If she gives birth to a daughter, for two weeks the woman will be unclean, as during her period. Then she must wait sixty-six days to be purified from her bleeding. 6 ” ‘When the days of her purification for a son or daughter are over, she is to bring to the priest at the entrance to the tent of meeting a year-old lamb for a burnt offering and a young pigeon or a dove for a sin offering. Leviticus 12: 1-8

u A woman’s promise is binding only if her father or husband agrees:[/u] 2 When a man makes a vow to the LORD or takes an oath to obligate himself by a pledge, he must not break his word but must do everything he said. 3 “When a young woman still living in her father’s household makes a vow to the LORD or obligates herself by a pledge 4 and her father hears about her vow or pledge but says nothing to her, then all her vows and every pledge by which she obligated herself will stand. 5 But if her father forbids her when he hears about it, none of her vows or the pledges by which she obligated herself will stand; the LORD will release her because her father has forbidden her. . . . . A woman’s vow is meaningless unless approved by her husband or father. But if her husband nullifies them when he hears about them, then none of the vows or pledges that came from her lips will stand. Her husband has nullified them, and the LORD will release her. 13 Her husband may confirm or nullify any vow she makes or any sworn pledge to deny herself. Numbers 30:1-16

u Women should be seen not heard:[/u] Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 1 Corinthians 14:34

u Wives should submit to their husband’s instructions and desires:[/u] Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Colossians 3:18

u In case you missed that submission thing first time around:[/u] Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. Ephesians 5:22-24.

A nicely curated selection of verses demonstrating that religion, in this case Christianity, but it applies to Islam as well, is based on and obsessed with women’s ■■■■■■■■■. The role models for Christian women are the Virgin Mary and Eve - talk about being doomed from the start. If anyone is interested in viewing a dramatization of Christian fundamentalism I can recommend The Handmaid’s Tale (Chanel 4 On Demand). Series 1 is very closely based on the novel of the same name which imagines the results of a second American civil war after which America becomes a totalitarian republic run along the lines of the above verses. It’s a tough watch and the scary thing is that Margaret Atwood, the writer, didn’t put anything in the novel that hasn’t already happened somewhere in the world (a lot of it in Iran).

I also come from a Christian background. My dad is a retired CofE vicar. I dabbled in it when younger but didn’t like the guilt, fear and control, nor how very un-Christian so many Christians seemed to be. I’m not a bad person and found the constant cycle of sin and forgiveness discomforting. As for death, what is really so bad about not existing anymore and just going in the earth? We didn’t exist before we were born did we, why is not existing after life any different? (Rhetorical question). I’d rather take responsibility for myself than hand my fate over to God. Too many use God as an excuse for their behaviour. With regard to the comments about submission, it’s all far too open to the individual man’s interpretation. Speaking generally, I don’t doubt that because of the belief that women should submit and obey, there is also the belief that ■■■■ can’t occur within a marriage. You can’t say that you are uncomfortable with your wife being your slave and at the same time expect her to submit to you as they are one and the same thing.

Sploom:
Peterm.
Do you believe all of matter follows the laws of physics?
And if you do,does it apply to our brain cells?
And if it does,doesnt that mean we have no control over our actions and thoughts…because our minds are just simply following the laws of physics

You really do speak a load of ■■■■■■■■. :laughing:

Rename Thread: “Atheists ■■■■■■■ in Knots”:unamused:

Driveress.
I think Zac_A delibratley picked the most contraversial verses of the Bible in order to show the book in a bad light.There are good verses too,I think,like ,love thy neighbour as thyself,dont steal,dont bear false witness and so on.
I experienced professing Christians behaving unchristian too.And then there are the cliques as well in any church.
Im afraid we all have to meet God and give an account of our lives whether we are Christian or not though…

Winseer:

Only if you happen to inhabit the same alternate universe as you do

the maoster:

Winseer:

Only if you happen to inhabit the same alternate universe as you do

Hey…Leave him alone you.
That’s the only one of his posts I’ve ever understood. :laughing:

Sploom:
Zac_a

People who are seriously religious are, by definition, too ill-equipped to understand scientific arguments.

Who are you to say this?
Are there not Christian surgeons,physicists,engineers,teachers,and other professionals who achieved more than we did?

“We”? Who is this “we” you speak of? :laughing:
I was specifically referring to your inadequate grasp of neuroscience, believing that scientific laws (not just physics) render us as nothing more than fleshy mindless automatons.
But, seeing as you went on to say…

Sploom:
Would you,as a trucker,make such a remark to one of them if you met them?

Ay, there’s the rub… because I would, and I have done so in the past, I’m not at all inclined to the “tugging of the forelock” as you seem to be.

I’m no longer a truck driver, these days I’m an ETM and DGSA, so every bit as much a “professional” as a teacher or an engineer. And years ago I was a post-doctoral research scientist, my PhD has no expiry date so if I experience someone who really does not know their stuff, I’m more than happy to tell them so, especially so if they’re a so-called “Christian”.

I’ve worked alongside “Christian” academic colleagues: One particularly arrogant character (a common trait with religious people I have found) during a seminar I was part of, tried to launch a dismissive counter-argument against my findings involving gamma radiation. Very stupid really, as it was not at all his research field.

All I had to do to put him in his place was “remind him” of a fundamental “dictionary definition” that gamma rays can only be stopped by several centimetres of lead. I didn’t have to say “You’re wrong”, the whole room knew it, it’s hard to be taken seriously by the rest of your colleagues when you haven’t even mastered GCSE level physics. :laughing:

For me, “Christian” has always been synonymous with “Hypocrite”.

One guy who was head of department for a time (therefore a “Professor”) was a Catholic lay-preacher, a married man with five children, who was discovered having an affair with one of the young undergraduates, he rapidly exited in disgrace. His successor, another married-with-children-Christian managed to be equally controversial, but with different tastes in extra-marital affairs. At least he wasn’t with an undergraduate when it came to light, no consolation to his wife though.

And of course we all know what certain priests have been getting up to for years and years (and being protected by their respective churches whilst do so).

So you should be able to understand why religious fervour is often regarded as suspicious; to some of us it’s a thing that should come with a label saying: Deluded/Arrogant/Perverted/Hypocrite/Delete as Appropriate

Ok,fair enough.But I think I can be forgiven for thunking most people logging on to this site dont have phds and so on.It is a trucking forum after all.
I dont know how much physics is adequate fir a trucker.
I dont believe we are mindless automations.Thats what I expect atheists to think if they dont believe that we are created in God’s image.

Yes,I know what preists got up to.I was brought up in the catholic system and got out of it.The church we go to is independant.

I think it is how the universe all knits together with a “supreme being” concept that is hardest for people to understand en-masse.

I’m not sure why people expect God to be there for their personal whims, and assume he isn’t there at all when their half-hearted prayers go unanswered.

The Natural Order of things - tends to be rather Brutal in nature at the same time.

We don’t slag animals off for “Bringing down their prey” for example.
“Acting within one’s nature” is the most natural thing in the world.
“Acting against oneself” - where’s the wisdom in that?

“Having a faith” is more about “Natural thinking” than “Thinking uphill” then.

As a “Risk Assessment” - what way would you choose to go, given the consequences of making the wrong decision?

If you deny God, and it turns out God doesn’t exist - then you go to nothingness upon death. If God does exist, then there can only be eternal damnation for one’s immortal soul…

If you accept God, and you’re wrong - then you go to nothingness upon death. If God does exist, then you are auto-redeemed from the imprisonment upon this Earth that “Living alongside the Fallen and cast-out” sets you to. It may be the case that Humanity will never master “Space Travel” simply because animals made of meat and bone - simply cannot make the trip at velocities and set courses necessary to GET anywhere other than where we already are, marooned on this third planet from a sun in the outer reaches of an unremarkable galaxy…

It is Hubris to think we are so important, that we can do-away with any concept of a supreme higher authority in the Universe…

I therefore believe in God like I believe there must be life on other planets. Faith is not something to “Prove” on day - it is something to regard, and hope for right now

Look up, and we can see places we cannot ever reach… Other star systems in plain sight, all out-of-reach.
Look down, and there’s stuff there we cannot comprehend, but it’s still there nonetheless.

Light and Darkness.

Yes,very true

hearing fix.jpg

Current cast (Imo)

Putin - Red
Jinping - Yellow
Trump - White
■■? - Pale
Biden - Black

None of the above - can stop any of the others, so all this talk of “winning a war” is futile.

Sploom:
Yes,very true

No, he’s got it backwards:

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Another delusional robotic fruitcake. :unamused:
This time trying to put a positive spin on, al(and as usual denying).their hatred for homosexuals.

Despite all the Christian teachings of ‘Love thy neighbour’ and ‘Everyone welcome in the house of God’ they still can not fully accept homosexuality.
I ain’t too fond of it myself but I fully accept their rights and that they are equal to me on the social scale…and why would they not be.

Seems as a full on atheist I have more what could be interpreted as ‘Christian values and attitude’ than what the most vocal types have on this subject.
■■■■ hypocrites the lot of em.
youtu.be/KDi7eR8odnQ

On a lighter note. :smiley:

Christians dont hate homosexuals!
How many times do I have to say it?
We arent prepared to promote this lifestyle ,which is our free choice.But we dont hate them or think we are better than them.
I dont hate you for being an atheist.I cant have an expectation that you will be welcomed into the kingdom of God at the end of the day,but I certainly dont hate you.I feel that you hate me though,correct me if Im wrong.But if you do say things to hurt my feelings,I just think of this Bible verse.
biblehub.com/matthew/10-22.htm
And then I think,wow,there is the Biblical prophecy fulfilled,but I dont desire this situation.Its not my wish.
sermonaudio.com/search.asp? … xactVerse=
By the way,here is a collection of sermons by pastor John Macarthur,he deals with the issue of dinosaurs and stuff like that,a question I get asked when I tell people the world was made in 6 days