Registration Plates

Most Eastern European articulated trucks I see on the roads have different number plates on tractor unit and trailer ! Is this legal?

Yes.
The trailer is separately registered.
If you end up having a bump with one then get the numbers off both the unit and the trailer.

No
surely a vehicle has to display its registration number on plates front and back

yes, as above.
it’s been like this for a very long time.

A UK registered truck with same plate on back of trailer as on front of unit, confused [zb] out of the Albanians. :slight_smile:

Euro:
No
surely a vehicle has to display its registration number on plates front and back

No, all trailers in continental Europe have to be registered in there own right, this includes caravans

trailers are registered separately that’s why you see the Spanish and Italians with two plates on their trailers ? one for unit and one for trailer most other Europeans have a different plate on the unit displaying their country of origin ie pl and a plate on the trailer displaying the country of origin of the trailers company …

Big Roy:

Euro:
No

No, all trailers in continental Europe have to be registered in there own right, this includes caravans

Yes, but surely the rig has to display its reg, front and back

Euro:

Big Roy:

Euro:
No

No. The truck displays its reg and the trailer displays its. Sometimes 2 different countries.

Euro:

Big Roy:

Euro:
No

No, only a UK plated tractor unit pulling a continental trailer needs to display it’s reg plate on the trailer

No, only a UK plated tractor unit pulling a continental trailer needs to display it’s reg plate on the trailer
[/quote]
In Spain we have the tractor reg plates on the trailer as well as the trailers reg plate, all the trailers reg plates are red with black numbers-letters.

bazstan009:
A UK registered truck with same plate on back of trailer as on front of unit, confused [zb] out of the Albanians. :slight_smile:

Had the same in tunisia few years back new trailer they could t understand
Why trailer had same reg as unit etc
Lomg story short wouldnt allow us to temp import the trailer only the unit to tip and reload after hiur or two and £100 agent paid a bribe and allowed in no probs
No c number on trl only manufacturs plate and chassis number

The germans are getting funny at mo with ee units pulling uk trls because of reg plates etc saw this on rha info last month about it and been issueing fines for it

bazstan009:

I know the feeling! i had a problem leaving Albania to get into and transit Macedonia, they wanted the registration docs for the trailer, as it had my number plate on the back (uk unit uk trl) i told em the trailer always stays with the unit and is included on the log book, for some strange reason they looked at the truck log book and said ok, no problem. A couple of Whitesnake t-shirts later i was on my way :sunglasses:

Would like to add, British forces vehicles also show a different reg numbers on the prime mover and trailers legally.

So do European hauliers have to have TPFT cover for the unit and trailer separately. I assume that in the UK the Unit insurance covers the trailer in the event of an accident and the trailer itself is only insured as an asset of the company against theft or fire. Effectively in the UK the trailer is part of the unit for third party liability??

The German lorries I use to drive would end with something like 2592 and the trailer 2593, as in Germany the insurance company issue the number plates so because they trailers stay with the units the plates were always similar. Also over there the start of the number plate is where the vehicle is registered, ie HH Hamburg, M Munich etc, the less letters the bigger the city.

Say for instance a UK unit was pulling a EU trailer.

That artic is involved in a hit and run.
They is only one witness and they have only seconds to get a VIN surely you can’t display a multitude of VIN plates on back of a trailer which may be or may not be the correct plates?

If that’s so, then my cousin Jep, may as well stick a load of VIN plates on back of his Corsa and run as many red lights as possible!

Saaamon:
The German lorries I use to drive would end with something like 2592 and the trailer 2593, as in Germany the insurance company issue the number plates so because they trailers stay with the units the plates were always similar. Also over there the start of the number plate is where the vehicle is registered, ie HH Hamburg, M Munich etc, the less letters the bigger the city.

I know your right.

Although I think only one VIN (vehicle identification number) should be displayed.

Many UK ones are on a few links of chain hanging off a trailer, so at night no way illuminated!

chester:
Say for instance a UK unit was pulling a EU trailer.

That artic is involved in a hit and run.
They is only one witness and they have only seconds to get a VIN surely you can’t display a multitude of VIN plates on back of a trailer which may be or may not be the correct plates?

If that’s so, then my cousin Jep, may as well stick a load of VIN plates on back of his Corsa and run as many red lights as possible!

If your driving a UK reg truck then you need to have a UK plate on the trailer regardless of where the trailer is from.

Yes but that plate does not have to be illuminated, more often than not they hang from a few links of chain link.

If that truck is involved In a hit and run at night, a witness may panic and try and remember a number plate but if say for instance Doris as a choice of two plates,she don’t know which one to go for!

One VIN should Be displayed to save any confusion in my opinion.