Registration Plates

chester:
Yes but that plate does not have to be illuminated, more often than not they hang from a few links of chain link.

If that truck is involved In a hit and run at night, a witness may panic and try and remember a number plate but if say for instance Doris as a choice of two plates,she don’t know which one to go for!

One VIN should Be displayed to save any confusion in my opinion.

I used to do ferry trailers and sometimes had to hang the plate on a chain, i do agree with it not being lit up, surprised vosa and the police don’t issue tickets…

Just say for instance that there was a hit and run at night with someone pulling a ferry trailer and the only reg they got was example, the dutch plate on the trailer, who ever it belong to, (Estron, Van bentum etc) they of course would know who had the trailer and where it was as the trailers are tracked.

One thing to bear in mind with a UK truck pulling a European trailer, in Europe is that if you choose to display your UK plate and it in any way hinders the view of the trailers actual number plate, you could be fined. I know people personally who had a UK plate either swinging with chains and blocking the view of the German plate or actually slipped their UK plate over the top of the German one and were both fined for it. The German police aren’t bothered if you’re not showing a UK plate, at least they didn’t used to be, they are very much bothered if by displaying your UK plate, you block the view of their German plate and I imagine this would be the same with any EU trailer that has its own registration plate.

nsmith1180:
So do European hauliers have to have TPFT cover for the unit and trailer separately.

Yes, here in France, each trailer has its’ own registration and insurance.