Refused to take truck out...........did i do right?

Im at work thursday doing my daily routine and i noticed a large tear in the trucks rear tyre and a piece of glass lodged in there, so i defected the issue when i got back to the yard on the evening, I went to work friday morning still the same tyre so i thought “well its the last shift” so i toke truck out did my route and defected the truck again when i got back on the evening,

Comes in to work this morning and its STILL the same tyre so i thought “to hell with this im not taking the truck out” so i checked the book to see if anyone was using the spare truck nothing wrote down for it so i went ahead and toke the spare truck out,

I get a call off the transport manager 6.45 when he comes in giving me a right mouthfull because the spare truck was going to get used due to another drivers truck being in daf getting repaired, i explained that it was not booked out in the diary and that my trucks tyre was dangerous and illegal to use, He tries telling me on the phone that its ok to drive a truck with a tear and a bulge in the tyre wall and it will be fine,

Its my licence at stake this company are prone for dragging there feet fixing defects but they still exspect you to use them in the meantime, Did i do the right thing by refusing to take truck out?

Too bloody right, wouldn’t of taken it out the moment it was spotted.

Ask your TM…

If he’d send it for an MOT with a tyre in that state.

There’s your answer.

If your trucks tyre really was ok, your TM would have just sent it out with person that was meant to be using the spare truck, no harm no foul.

Instead I suspect your truck was refused again, and as such your TM had to earn his crust.

If it was that bad you had to defect it why did you take it out for 2 days?

mac12:
If it was that bad you had to defect it why did you take it out for 2 days?

Because he’s greener than grass I imagine.

TruckerAds:
Im at work thursday doing my daily routine and i noticed a large tear in the trucks rear tyre and a piece of glass lodged in there, so i defected the issue when i got back to the yard on the evening, I went to work friday morning still the same tyre so i thought “well its the last shift” so i toke truck out did my route and defected the truck again when i got back on the evening,

Comes in to work this morning and its STILL the same tyre so i thought “to hell with this im not taking the truck out” so i checked the book to see if anyone was using the spare truck nothing wrote down for it so i went ahead and toke the spare truck out,

I get a call off the transport manager 6.45 when he comes in giving me a right mouthfull because the spare truck was going to get used due to another drivers truck being in daf getting repaired, i explained that it was not booked out in the diary and that my trucks tyre was dangerous and illegal to use, He tries telling me on the phone that its ok to drive a truck with a tear and a bulge in the tyre wall and it will be fine,

Its my licence at stake this company are prone for dragging there feet fixing defects but they still exspect you to use them in the meantime, Did i do the right thing by refusing to take truck out?

A damaged tyre and you used it for 2 days anyway? A decent firm would sack you on the spot.

The tyre got damaged while i was out on the thursday, it was fine in the morning when i did my checks i noticed it when i got out to walk round the back 7 hours into my shift,

I hold my hand up i should not of taken it on friday but i did think id give the mechanic a little space as i defected it 4pm thursday and i was back out 4am friday, they work saturdays see and they somtimes fix defects if they can be bothered.

fair cop all round…you were decent and flexible in the 1st place,and they were takig the ■■■■ by monday,suppose it all depends on how bad it looked if you got a tug. :unamused:

As others have said, you shouldn’t have taken the unit on those 2 previous occasions, and you were right to refuse to take it on the last occasion.
If your boss insists on you taking it anyway, ask for an order in writing, as soon as the order in writing ( email) is delivered and the company takes full responsibility for whatever happens on the road and any fines, you are happy to take it.
If your boss is still questioning, offer to call VOSA to conduct an examination of the unit’s condition and what you have been told by the management.
Simple, if you allow yourself to be pushed around, they will do it to you time and time again.

Similar story with me , defected a trailer 2 or 3 times for abs fault it’s allways OK for a few miles then the light comes on .
Next time I’m allocated that trailer I won’t be taking it as I pretty much guarantee it won’t of been fixed :unamused:
Trouble is half the drivers there don’t bother to do defect notes :neutral_face:

As a newbie, I would have done what you did. With a couple of years experience behind me, I would have taken photographs and refused to take the truck out on Friday. The photographs and text conversation would have been used in my unfair Dismissal case.

Going in this morning and ive told my wife if its still the same tyre im coming back home, Im sick of them trying it on truth is i cant afford to loose this job but on the other hand my licence cost me far to much money to risk just to keep there faces straight.

You undermined yourself by taking it out twice with the defect, you shouldn’t have taken it at all. No doubt the fact you took it out meant they considered that it may not be that serious an issue. Either take it out or don’t, don’t take it out on some days and not others, makes it look like you’re taking the ■■■■

A cut in the tyre doesn’t make the tyre illegal.
If you cannot see any cords, even when you spread it slightly open, it’s road legal.
Also when there is a bulge on point of the cut, it would be illegal as clearly the cords have been damaged.
Keep in mind cheap Chinese tyres seem to have slight bulges from new, this is in the construction and doesn’t do any damage.

So make your mind up if the tyre is illegal or not, and base your refusal to take the truck out on facts, not on fiction.

And yes if the tyre is clearly illegal, don’t take it out, and keep a clear record of your conversation with the office, and keep a clear picture on your phone of the offending item.

switchlogic:
You undermined yourself by taking it out twice with the defect, you shouldn’t have taken it at all. No doubt the fact you took it out meant they considered that it may not be that serious an issue. Either take it out or don’t, don’t take it out on some days and not others, makes it look like you’re taking the ■■■■

I didnt mate i toke it out once knowing of the defect it happened 7 hours on to my shift on thursday, i know i shouldnt of toke it regardless

Just goes to prove that Drivers are their own worst enemy.
Thursday notice a damaged tyre,Thursday phone in and arrange for tyre repair,Thursday get tyre repaired on the roadside if need be.
Friday VOSA check,held until replaced,time gained Thursday lost on Friday plus a court date and possible fine and points.

Cant do enough for a good Gaffer,you cant do enough for a bad one either

Tyre law is difficult for Drivers to understand without the VOSA manual to refer to. When read correctly - correctly mind, the law is clear on what is and is not legal. Drivers do not have this information to hand and have to make an informed decision with the knowledge they have. Wear through the outer rubber compound for example is not a failure but it looks illegal, and after a few more KM’s you have the cords making an unwanted appearance.

I’ve taken a truck out in the morning and all is well, and when fuelling in the evening the cords are visible. This does nothing for your sense of judgement as to whether you should of took it out in the morning. I had 29 years workshop experience before moving to driving.

Without seeing the tyre it’s hard to make a proper judgement.

Sometimes drivers will ask another driver for a second opinion but if it’s that close the tyre probably needs replacing anyway.

No one expects new drivers to become tyre experts overnight but apart from understanding the basics of tread depth if it looks dodgy it probably is.

Just VOR the thing and wait for a tyre fitter to come out. Regardless of operational pressures the buck stops with the driver. Easier said than done when new and not wanting to rock the boat but if pulled the defect could also affect the companies O licence so just say no.

I’ve done trailer swaps and been faced with illegal tyres and had to get them changed much to the annoyance of the driver bringing the trailer who’s going to get a massive bollocking.
To protect colleagues I’ve also ran with tyres that are close for a few days before changing them.

There are very few driving god’s who are so intimate with their tyres that they will never be caught out which is why checking tyres all the bloody time is essential not just precum morning walk-around jobbies.

If in doubt get the tyre fitter out.

Must dash haven’t checked me tyres for days… :wink:

TruckerAds:

switchlogic:

I didnt mate i toke it out once knowing of the defect it happened 7 hours on to my shift on thursday, i know i shouldnt of toke it regardless

You also said you took it out on Friday too as it was the last shift of the week!!!

I totally echo Luke’s stateme.