Refuse Lorries?

Do they have tachos on them or are they exempt?

If you’re talking about door to door collection of domestic refuse then they’re exempt from EU regulations so do not need a tachograph.

Door to door collection of domestic refuse comes under domestic regulations, though I’ve heard that some do use a tachograph.

Vehicles used in connection with sewerage, flood
protection, water, gas and electricity maintenance
services, road maintenance or control, door-to-door
household refuse collection or disposal, telegraph or
telephone services, radio or television broadcasting
and the detection of radio or television transmitters
or receivers.

Commercial collectors like Biffa will not be exempt. Only household collections for waste and recycling are exempt.

Those guys have my respect, it must be stinking in the hot weather, plus all the ■■■■ that gets dumped eg dog dirt etc.

I was once told (? BS) that there was a waiting list to get on the council bins :laughing: as it was well paid, I know a lot are sub’ied out now but is it still as popular??

On agency with local council on refuse collection door to door all vehicles tachographed

I did a couple of weeks on the bin lorries a few years ago (when I first got my Class 2 licence). Easy work (the loaders generally know the routes better than the backs of their own hands, and will always tell you when and where to reverse in, will see you back when access is tight etc - plus the vehicles have reversing cameras). Can’t speak for other areas, but round here the driver was not expected to get out and help with the bins (in fact it was positively frowned upon - they wanted you in the cab at all times, ready to move the truck as and when needed). I would say it was the second easiest driving job I have ever had (the easiest one being shop deliveries to a well known chain of computer stores). Never had a problem with the smell etc.

Whilst we’re on the subject…Do these truck have special dispensation to block roads when they’re emptying the bins, or just get in everybodies way to save parking at the side of the road & out of the way?? (like other trucks are expected to do!)

busteredwards:
Whilst we’re on the subject…Do these truck have special dispensation to block roads when they’re emptying the bins, or just get in everybodies way to save parking at the side of the road & out of the way?? (like other trucks are expected to do!)

I have a lot of respect for these drivers as they do a lot of stuff on a daily basis that the rest of complain about if we do once a day. e.g. multiple reversing up residential cul-de-sacs where they can’t turn around, squeezing down side streets coping with the ignorant car parking, remember they go down every road you wouldn’t choose to in a truck!
At the end of the day, you can’t do that job without inconveniencing other traffic and I think we have to live with that!

I’v seen them stop in the middle of the road when they could’ve pulled in a cars length further on!

They have a job to do. Yes, they could possibly pull in a short distance further on, but that would require the loaders to pull each bin (and return it) that much further and would delay them a bit each time. Maybe only an extra 30 seconds for each bin, but with a half dozen or more bins at each stop, that amounts to a couple of minutes. Multiply that by the number of stops on busy roads on the day’s run and you could easily be into adding several hours to their day. If you’ve ever done that job, you would understand why they do it. I just let them get on with what they have to do and write the couple of minutes’ delay off as an irrelevance (to me).

I understand why they do it, my question was whether or not they have some remit to do it. It’s not uncommon near me for them to crawl down the entire length of a street causing delays to everyone else.

The pigeon hole recycling trucks annoy me. From doing a bit of agency work for our local company, I learnt that they make no more money than if the stuff was put in one place and tipped at a sorting centre. It just looks better to the general public. Another lie is that West Oxon DC collect flyaway plastic (wrapping/cling film etc) and recycle it. They dont as it’s worthless. It’s collected to stop people mixing it with the hard plastic, it’s simply baled and dumped. Again like the pigeon hole wagons, it looks good to the ignorant of the PMs’ constituancy.

i think you are wrong there nathan , i used to collect dumpy bags of recycled pellets made from cling film and shrink wrap . you would be surprised how many uses there are for recycled plastics

been driving bin wagons for about 3 and half years now, 22.500 per year plus overtime, depends on where you are and who the contractor is. job and knock so some days can be home with a cuppa by 1.30pm after a 7am start so most people have to eat on the go ( i always carry hand sanitiser with me ) as for holding up traffic i personally dont unless its impossible for me to pull in somewhere.but often you get a situation where the rubbish is a bugger to get out the bin then you get idiots beeping and screaming at you. its defaintly a dammed if you do, dammed if you dont job. and peoples parking are the worst because you start thinking if im having trouble getting past or cant get down that road, how the F**k can a fire engine/ ambuance / police get down there? ( sorry once i start i cant stop ranting lol )

I’ve often got stuck behind them both in car and truck. Just wait :unamused: they aren’t usually that long. What is probably only a minute at the most seems longer because of your own impatience. Just chill and watch someone working for a change. :wink:

The bin men in my area aren’t too bad on the whole, sometimes they have no option but to block the road but I’ve never seen them do it where it could be avoided without making their job twice as long.

I wish I could say the same about the bus drivers :frowning:

bazza123:
Those guys have my respect, it must be stinking in the hot weather, plus all the [zb] that gets dumped eg dog dirt etc.

I was once told (? BS) that there was a waiting list to get on the council bins :laughing: as it was well paid, I know a lot are sub’ied out now but is it still as popular??

It used to be a cracking job. It paid more 25 years ago than it does now. That’s Thatcherism.

busteredwards:
I understand why they do it, my question was whether or not they have some remit to do it. It’s not uncommon near me for them to crawl down the entire length of a street causing delays to everyone else.

Rubbish has to be collected thats life in the grand scheme of things its not worth worrying about.

limeyphil:

bazza123:
Those guys have my respect, it must be stinking in the hot weather, plus all the [zb] that gets dumped eg dog dirt etc.

It used to be a cracking job. It paid more 25 years ago than it does now. That’s Thatcherism.

I know it was a very good job years ago. My step dad was on it for london borough of lewisham doing the shops side of it. He was only the loader but was well paid and goid pension etc. And it was a case you had to know someone on there to get a job.
Dont think it is the same now with the likes of veolia running them.

skypilot:
Do they have tachos on them or are they exempt?

I have done this work before, stop start all day long I must admit I would never try and hold up other drivers as the loaders would get it in the neck first from joe public, I dont think they were required by law to be on tacho but the tm wanted it that way