References

Spoken to a local firm about class1 work, they’ve sent me an application form. Had a read through and it asks for references, my current employer doesn’t know that I want to leave so it would sorta drop me in it if I asked my TM for a reference. The only other reference I have is from my first job when I worked at a cafe.

Not sure where I should go with this. Would it look bad if I just had one from the cafe and not my current employer?

Put your present employer down he won’t be contacted till you’ve been offered the job in all probability and he might not be contacted even then.

Most firms won’t contact the references that you put down unless your offered the job.

Depends on your employer. Personally speaking, if one of my lads came and said they were looking to change jobs, could they have a reference,I would give them a decent one.

I don’t expect everyone to stay and stay in a job. If they’ve been good, why would I be a pain and give them a bad reference. I’d ask why they wanted to go - might be more money, might be wanting to be home every night. Maybe it’s something that I can do something about, maybe not. Again personally, I don’t burn bridges - I’ve had drivers come back after a job hasn’t worked out.

What’s your TM like?

In my recent experience references only get taken up if there is mutual acquaintances so two TM’s can have an informal chat.
It’s more a test IMO to see if you would be happy for them to speak to previous employers, if you’d had three previous lorry jobs but left them out as referees it would speak volumes.

I would have no problem putting present employer down, in the unlikely event someone jumped the gun and asked them for a reference they then have the opportunity to offer something better to keep existing good staff, or at least find out why one wants to leave and see if they can dissuade, assuming they want to that is.
If you happen to know any coppers or others in respected professions they would be decent character referees, though it would be best to ask them if they mind you putting them down.
The cafe job is just as important, your work record there will show whether you are reliable and honest.

I’ve heard misgivings about the calibre of recent (unsuccessful) applicants where i am from management, if people are good the company won’t want to lose them, can’t be the only company finding this is an increasing problem and it can only be a good thing for those who are worth employing.

Agree with Albion about not burning bridges, and that applies to to gaffers and employees, you never know what the future holds or where you might meet up again.

I’m heading back to the yard now, should I straight up ask him or just put his details down then ask him later? He can be a bit funny at times, it’s a bit of an awkward time though as I’m still waiting for class 1. Been told it could happen “soon”…

Radar19:
I’m heading back to the yard now, should I straight up ask him or just put his details down then ask him later? He can be a bit funny at times, it’s a bit of an awkward time though as I’m still waiting for class 1. Been told it could happen “soon”…

My 2 pence worth mate.

Your current employer is seemingly leading you along.You did all the donkey work yourself getting your C+E and your current company dont really want to know but keep dangling it over you so you feel( oh they will give me a chance soon)

Me personally put your current employer down as a referee and tell them.
If they value you they will ask what they can do to keep you in which case you will say that class C+E is what you want.

Good luck

Unfortunately only you can answer that one - depends on your relationship with him and his personality.

If you do go for it, then sweeten it by saying that you’ve enjoyed working there/appreciated the start/whatev, but it’s time to get more experience/loads more wonga/shiny new truck/someone that will do what they say as regards your Class 1, and you are happy to show a new lad the ropes if they need you to. That way, you are leaving but being as fair as you can - should mean he will be too.

And it leaves the door open just in case the new place doesn’t work out.

Hmm, in case the new job don’t come off for some reason i’d be inclined to keep schtum, otherwise if the present geezer gets the arse it might scupper your class 1 ‘‘promotion’’ there.

When you get another job offer and have some bargaining chips, then is the time to say your piece IMHO.
Be nice as you can though and leave on good terms whenever possible even if the gaffer gets the arse, only really had that at one place many years ago where the TM nor gaffers wouldn’t speak to me after i put me notice in, weirdos.

I’ve not been offered this new job as of yet, I have to complete the application form then it will go from there.

did it specify employment references? because you can use personal references too.

It does ask for work and personal references. I tried asking my TM but he was in a meeting. Next time I’m in ill ask him what the deal is. We’ve got more people in this week training on class 2 so that could mean that I’m moving over.

Can’t you speak to him on the phone pal?

I think the fact there are new guys in training on Class 2, does open the door to you asking about your progression…
From that I think I’d be able to gauge if it’s worth e sticking around, and whether I’d then bring up the topic of references!

Radar19:

Not being funny mate but you do come across as being a bit scared of him, :unamused: … he’s the boss of a ■■■■ haulage firm not your Dad or Headmaster.
What’s the worst he can do, he will have undoubtedly had guys leaving before, it’s part of the job, and who knows if he values you it may be the kick up the arse he needs to sort you with your Class 1 if he sees you are serious (assuming I have read your post right that is)
Just do not give a flying ■■■■ how ‘‘funny’’ he can be, and politely let him see that.
Take a deep breath, go to him …blagging oozing confidence, however difficult that may be, and remember you are an employee not a schoolboy and tell him what you want him to know.

References can be a load of time wasting bollox.In that problem employees with dodgy records that they want to hide can often by necessity obtain bs references provided somehow from somewhere.While good employees can get ignored because of numerous logistical reasons as to why references can’t be provided especially in the case of long term enforced break in employment history or redundancy through employer closure etc.On that note it’s time that requests for references were outlawed.Bearing in mind that work history will always be a case of trust on the part of the employer and good faith on the part of the candidate.

With any lies given at the interview stage usually coming to light in the same way in all cases. :bulb:

As for the application form in this case maybe think about leaving the box empty with just the comment work history to be advised at interview and any references provided as part of that subject to job offer.Together with a phone call to the prospective employer to confirm the reasons for it before sending in the form. :bulb:

Carryfast:
References can be a load of time wasting bollox.In that problem employees with dodgy records that they want to hide can often by necessity obtain bs references provided somehow from somewhere.While good employees can get ignored because of numerous logistical reasons as to why references can’t be provided especially in the case of long term enforced break in employment history or redundancy through employer closure etc.On that note it’s time that requests for references were outlawed.Bearing in mind that work history will always be a case of trust on the part of the employer and good faith on the part of the candidate.

You really do post some utter ■■■■■■ and this is up there with the best. :unamused:

robroy:

Radar19:

Not being funny mate but you do come across as being a bit scared of him, :unamused: … he’s the boss of a [zb] haulage firm not your Dad or Headmaster.
What’s the worst he can do, he will have undoubtedly had guys leaving before, it’s part of the job, and who knows if he values you it may be the kick up the arse he needs to sort you with your Class 1 if he sees you are serious (assuming I have read your post right that is)
Just do not give a flying [zb] how ‘‘funny’’ he can be, and politely let him see that.
Take a deep breath, go to him …blagging oozing confidence, however difficult that may be, and remember you are an employee not a schoolboy and tell him what you want him to know.

Big +1 on what Roy has said.

Just politely ask him if its ok for you to put him down as a reference for a Class 1 job that has come up.

1 of 3 things will happen.

1 you get the new job

2 TM puts you on his class 1 as he knows your serious

3 you get your notice period, you leave and go in search of a new job. There must be 20 hauliers near you who are no worse than your present bunch. (who sound like a shower fyi)

My present employer asked for two previous work references…

I gave them the necessary info and thought no more about it. About a month later the phone rings and this Doris from the office says that both my referees hadn’t responded to numerous requests for references.

There’s no legal obligation for anyone to give references to potential employers.

Just sayin’ like.

F-reds:

robroy:

Radar19:

Not being funny mate but you do come across as being a bit scared of him, :unamused: … he’s the boss of a [zb] haulage firm not your Dad or Headmaster.
Just do not give a flying [zb] how ‘‘funny’’ he can be, and politely let him see that.

Big +1 on what Roy has said.

Just politely ask him if its ok for you to put him down as a reference for a Class 1 job that has come up.

1 of 3 things will happen.

1 you get the new job

2 TM puts you on his class 1 as he knows your serious

3 you get your notice period, you leave and go in search of a new job. There must be 20 hauliers near you who are no worse than your present bunch. (who sound like a shower fyi)

There isn’t a job offer yet, not a solid one anyway. The chap I spoke to said to complete this application form and then go from there so that is why I’m trying to think of a way of asking for a reference. What I do know is that all 3 drivers that the company has paid for have now gone into class 1 leaving only muggins here left. There was another trainee in today who’s out with an experienced driver. This new guy could be replacing me or he could be replacing the self-employed driver that my lot use on class 2 that charges them an arm and a leg compared to a regular employed driver.

Tomorrow I’m going in early because I’ve got a local run so I can catch my TM before the rest of the office shows up as he starts early too. I’m going to ask him straight up if he will give me a reference, he will either say yes or most likely want to know why. Then I’ll tell him that I want to drive Class 1 and I’ve been hanging on since May. I need to know if this class 1 is even happening because all they seem to be doing is moving the posts back.

I want to know that what I’m doing is right because once I open my big gob then everyone will know and there will be no going back.

I appreciate the help and advice you guys have given. I know it must be frustrating to see something so simple get strung out like this.

del trotter:

Carryfast:

You really do post some utter [zb], and this is up there with the best. :unamused:

Feel free to explain how someone who intends to return to work after a long term illness.Or after a long term unemployment situation caused by closure of their previous employers with a work history covering possibly decades with that and/or just a few long gone employers,can supply multiple recent ‘references’.Or for that matter the issue of wanting to keep a potential job move confidential from a current employer. :unamused: