Reduced rest?

If you do a 14 hour shift and then have 11 hours rest does that count as 11 off, or a reduced 9 hours (24 hour period)
Also if you do a 12 hour shift followed by 9 off, what then?
In other words, can you do, 15 on, 12 off, 12 on 9 off, ect.

Forrestgrump:
If you do a 14 hour shift and then have 11 hours rest does that count as 11 off, or a reduced 9 hours (24 hour period)

It’s a reduced daily rest period, it doesn’t matter if you have a week off it’s still a reduced daily rest period because you cannot fit an 11 hour rest period into the 24 hour period from the start of the shift.

Forrestgrump:
Also if you do a 12 hour shift followed by 9 off, what then?
In other words, can you do, 15 on, 12 off, 12 on 9 off, ect.

Yes you can do that, as long as you have the required daily rest periods within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shifts there’s no problem.

Thanks for the reply, what I mean on the second bit is, if I do 3 x 15 hrs shifts a week all my reduced hours are gone, so if on the other days I do, 12 hour shifts, I have to have a minimum of 11 off, not 9.

Forrestgrump:
Thanks for the reply, what I mean on the second bit is, if I do 3 x 15 hrs shifts a week all my reduced hours are gone, so if on the other days I do, 12 hour shifts, I have to have a minimum of 11 off, not 9.

That’s right.

If you have 3 reduced daily rest periods (15 hour shifts) between weekly rest periods you can only have regular 11 hour daily rest periods until your next weekly rest period.

Well there are split daily rest periods that allow you to go up-to 15 hours but that’s another story.

Again thanks, I’ve just thought of another question, if I work 7am to 7pm and then have nine off, to start at 4am, does that reduced rest count as a 15? I wouldn’t be able to do that and then 3 x 15.

Took me ages to get my head round that as well OP

Forrestgrump:
Again thanks, I’ve just thought of another question, if I work 7am to 7pm and then have nine off, to start at 4am, does that reduced rest count as a 15? I wouldn’t be able to do that and then 3 x 15.

Yes any thing under 11 is a reduced rest & anything over a 13 hour shift is a reduced rest period, it’s within the golden 24 hour period that counts, bear that in mind & you good to go.

I’m sure they could make the whole driving hours ten times easier. Its almost designed to be complicated

Forrestgrump:

To be honest I think you’re confusing yourself with this 15 hour thing, a reduced daily rest period is any rest period of at-least than 9 hours but less than 11 hours, you can have three reduced daily rest periods between weekly rest periods.

There’s nothing in the regulations about 15 hour shifts, it just happens that 15 hours is the maximum shift you can do and still get a reduced daily rest period into the 24 hour period, in other words a 15 and a reduced daily rest is the same thing.

As Tachograph says stop thinking about shift length and just go by the amount of rest.

It isn’t that complicated, it couldn’t really be made much easier. It’s when people start adding stuff in that isn’t in the regulations that the complications arise. There are no 15’s or 13’s anywhere in the regulations and adding them in makes peoples heads spin.

You need 11 hours in the 24-hour period beginning when you start your shift. Three times between weekly rest periods you can reduced this to a minimum of 9 hours. If you do not have 11 hours rest either before the end of the 24 hours or before you resume work, which ever comes first, then it is a reduced rest regardless of how long your shift was.

Ta, think I’ve got it. I’ve just started proper maxing my hours and wanted clarification, I’ve got my cpc and when I asked about this no one could explain it to me! One cpc guy told me break counted as working time! You had to have it on poa! And he was the bloke with ‘the knowledge’ 10 years driving and still learning.

Coffeeholic:
As Tachograph says stop thinking about shift length and just go by the amount of rest.

It isn’t that complicated, it couldn’t really be made much easier. It’s when people start adding stuff in that isn’t in the regulations that the complications arise. There are no 15’s or 13’s anywhere in the regulations and adding them in makes peoples heads spin.

You need 11 hours in the 24-hour period beginning when you start your shift. Three times between weekly rest periods you can reduced this to a minimum of 9 hours. If you do not have 11 hours rest either before the end of the 24 hours or before you resume work, which ever comes first, then it is a reduced rest regardless of how long your shift was.

Oi, why aren’t you down the gym exercising■■?

TheBear:

Coffeeholic:

I was killing time before work, I had to work from 17:00 until 18:00 today and then from 20:10 - 21:10. I went this morning for my workout. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Coffeeholic:

TheBear:

Coffeeholic:

I was killing time before work, I had to work from 17:00 until 18:00 today and then from 20:10 - 21:10. I went this morning for my workout. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Good to see you’re still about, old buddy :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I have officially retired now on medical grounds. I have had an absolute horror of a year and handed my licence in recently

“One CPC teacher told me that break counts as working time”, I mean WTF?!!■■

tachograph:

Forrestgrump:

That’s right.

If you have 3 reduced daily rest periods (15 hour shifts) between weekly rest periods you can only have regular 11 hour daily rest periods until your next weekly rest period.

Well there are split daily rest periods that allow you to go up-to 15 hours but that’s another story.

Why are tachos so complicated i still dont understand fully so i just keep to the basics :unamused:

Silver_Surfer:

Well technically it is as it doesn’t mean break time gets taken off to extend your day

I’m going to throw in a question too :slight_smile:

First shift 5:00 to 17.45
Rest 9.45hrs
second shift 3.30 to 18.00
Rest 15 hrs
third shift 9am.

On the example above would you say you had one or two reduced rests? As work in 24 hour periods, the first 1.5 of the second shift reduces rest but then you have 11 hrs rest in the next 24 period to 5am. Or do you take it from 3.30 on the second day and thus losing another 9 hr?

what do people think?

tackleberry:
I’m going to throw in a question too :slight_smile:

First shift 5:00 to 17.45
Rest 9.45hrs
second shift 3.30 to 18.00
Rest 15 hrs
third shift 9am.

On the example above would you say you had one or two reduced rests? As work in 24 hour periods, the first 1.5 of the second shift reduces rest but then you have 11 hrs rest in the next 24 period to 5am. Or do you take it from 3.30 on the second day and thus losing another 9 hr?

what do people think?

Two reduced rests.

Day one is a reduced because you only took 9h 45m rest - therefore less than 11 hours
Day two is a reduced rest because you had less than 11 hours in a 24 hour period beginning 03:30 which was caused by the length of the duty period.

JJ192:

Silver_Surfer:

Well technically it is as it doesn’t mean break time gets taken off to extend your day

I can see what JJ192 is saying and judging by the OPs understanding of the daily rest requirements I think there is a possibility that he misunderstood what the DCPC trainer was trying to say - Break is part of your duty. Obviously I wasn’t there and didn’t hear exactly what was said and maybe the ‘trainer’ is indeed a waste of space.

However - I would still agree this is poor quality training and highlights an issue as the trainer should have identified that somebody ‘didn’t get it’. On the other hand I know from experience that when I say “Any questions” and nobody asks one - they haven’t all necesserily ‘got it’, some just don’t like to speak up. I also know from experience people often completely change what I say and make their own version up - again it is my job as the ‘trainer’ to try to put things across in more than one way to avoid this, which then appears to some in the room like I’m ‘going on and on’ about the same thing.

This is one of the issues we currently have with DCPC - how to check that learning has taken place and information been understood when there could be up to 20 in the room. We can’t use tests. If we have a quiz and find 3 out of 18 need to go over something again - the 18 are going to be pretty bored.

I stand by to be insulted for having the cheek to be a DCPC trainer :open_mouth: