Redex

Sorry if this in the wrong thread but does it actually do any good ?
Was clearing the shed out and found a bottle,behind the bits of wood and half used pots of paint.

Thats the stuff we used to put in two stroke engines i think, oil additive for petrol.

5 years old but
pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1065095

SWEDISH BLUE:
5 years old but
pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1065095

That will do.
Recycled :stuck_out_tongue:

youtube.com/watch?v=WQN-0zvZNbY

I just use Shell V Power in my Corrado’s as im a brand snob ha.

Anyone remember when most garages sold it, was a penny a shot from a squirty gun kept by the petrol pumps Duckhams [off 20/50 fame] made a similar product also iirc cars could be fitted with a system known as the Redex Lubocharger that injected a metered amount as the car was driven, was popular with taxi firms back in the days of top overhauls/decokes!

I still use Redex in vintage machinery, excellent stuff for freeing sticking valves.

Pete.

It’s not done the shed any harm.

Scary thing is splitshift I used to sell it. Had a part time job when I was at school long before regulations came in at a garage pumps I remeber motorbikes coming in for a gallon and two shots. Had a guy used to come in with a Lotus Cortina with all shiny pipework in the engine and when I checked his oil If I spilt a drop I had to clean it. Used to be 3 Galls of 4 Star for a £1.00. Those were the days. We didnt have deisel just two and four star and the pipes used to swing out over the pavement and we used to fill cars as people walked past.

splitshift:
Anyone remember when most garages sold it, was a penny a shot from a squirty gun kept by the petrol pumps Duckhams [off 20/50 fame] made a similar product also iirc cars could be fitted with a system known as the Redex Lubocharger that injected a metered amount as the car was driven, was popular with taxi firms back in the days of top overhauls/decokes!

1965-66, I had a part time job as a ‘forecourt attendant’ at a filling station on Blackpool Road in Preston.
No self service in those days !
Redex was (is?) an upper cylinder lubricant. I think you can still buy an equivalent petrol or diesel ‘Lubricant/cleaner additive’ at Halfords, Morrisons, and other supermarkets.
Car drivers would ask for 3 gallons of regular and 3 shots. The petrol was 4 shillings and eleven pence (25p) a gallon and the shots (of Redex) were 1 old penny each.
My pay was two shillings and six pence an hour (12 and a half new pence). My bus fare was six pence each way - a shilling (5p) each shift…

Yes a shot for a gallon. It was used for delaying de-coking when fuels etc weren’t as good. Head off, clean the piston crowns and combustion chambers, lap in the valves, sometimes replacing the exhaust valves, new set of seals and gaskets and an oil change and you’re back on the road again.

It was also used to put a smoke screen around the neighbourhood. Air filter off, engine running, open throttle and squirt it straight in. It blew the crap out and cheered everyone’s lives up as you can imagine.

The joys of motoring in those days.

Trucker56:
Scary thing is splitshift I used to sell it. Had a part time job when I was at school long before regulations came in at a garage pumps I remeber motorbikes coming in for a gallon and two shots. Had a guy used to come in with a Lotus Cortina with all shiny pipework in the engine and when I checked his oil If I spilt a drop I had to clean it. Used to be 3 Galls of 4 Star for a £1.00. Those were the days. We didnt have deisel just two and four star and the pipes used to swing out over the pavement and we used to fill cars as people walked past.

Are you sure the two shots thing was Redex,not two stroke oil?(2t),before they had separate oil tanks.
Can remember putting it the ole FS1E :sunglasses:

My old offroader had an Isuzu 4jb1 tdi engine, I always used to tip 500ml of 2 stroke oil in 80 litres of fuel, it kept the engine quiet and it ran a lot smoother, no smoke (OK not as much smoke :laughing: )

Suedehead:
Sorry if this in the wrong thread but does it actually do any good ?
Was clearing the shed out and found a bottle,behind the bits of wood and half used pots of paint.

I certainly wouldn’t take it anywhere near todays modern engines with their ultra high pressure diesel injection, unit injectors and the like, not to mention catalytic converters and DPF filters.
You could do a lot of damage with crap like redex in a lot of cars now. Some injectors run to £600 each!!
Not worth the risk, chuck it out or put it in a lawn mower mate.

Back in the good ol’ carburated days, to do a decoke was easy.

Take the air filter off and start the engine when it’s nice and hot.

Gun the motor at the same time as tipping in a teaspoon or two of Redex nice and slowly - watch the street fill with smoke :smiley: :smiley:

Rev 'til smoke clears, pop filter back on , job done.

Simples.

Socketset:

Gun the motor at the same time as tipping in a teaspoon or two of Redex nice and slowly - watch the street fill with smoke :smiley: :smiley:

Simples.

Except that it was all bullcrap :laughing:
It didn’t work. Anyone who believed it done the same job of hours of scraping and polishing with a piece of emery cloth by tipping that red ■■■■ into the engine and making some smoke would have been abit naïve. :smiley:

What a shot of brake and clutch cleaner in the air inlet after the turbo on an old diesel, enjoy the smog :laughing:

A regular dose of redex, or any other injector cleaner, should prevent an engine coking up in the first place. Although quality modern fuels have a detergent added by the supplier, so shouldn’t coke up excessively anyway, as engines did in days gone by.

Socketset:

Simples.

Have a look at 5th post back. :wink:

peterm:

Socketset:

Simples.

Have a look at 5th post back. :wink:

Sorry, Pete, didn’t see ya post - we used to swear by it, once a month, kept things sweet. :smiley: