Red Moss - Why is no-one using it?

Just off the M74 at j13, 4 miles along the old A74 (so not off route if you’re going along the motorway, as you can just keep going and rejoin further up/down) is the Red Moss.

Now, I’m not a great truckstop user, as has been shown elsewhere, but I was talking to a good - and very fussy - friend of mine last week and he was saying that this place is seriously struggling at the minute, and he has no idea why.

Parking’s free if you eat there…It’s a good old-fashioned pub which does good honest grub…They stay open until 11pm, opening as early as 5pm…The showers and toilets are spotless…They have WIFI Internet as well as all the usual pub stuff.

With so many good park-ups going down the pan, shouldn’t those of us running that route make an effort to support places like this who are trying - and succeeding, by all accounts - to provide a cosy, homelike haven for drivers?

Give it a go. If rumour is correct, you won’t regret it. I may even do so myself. :wink:

Lucy:
Just off the M74 at j13, 4 miles along the old A74 (so not off route if you’re going along the motorway, as you can just keep going and rejoin further up/down) is the Red Moss.

Not one I’ve heard of, but will give it a try next time I head North - thanks Lucy :smiley:

never heard of or knew it was there :open_mouth: . might call in monday night. usually stop at lesmahgow or the new one near lockerbie when up there .

suprised the burnsides shutting down always seemed busy when i stopped there but was having troubles with the barside of the buisness :open_mouth:

jon

I didnt know it had re-opened. I went in around 7 or 8 years ago and it was very good.
The main problem they have is its off the beaten track and not signposted from the motorway.
Its far better than cairn lodge for the night.

That’s the problem…by the time you realise it’s there, you’ve passed J13. Sadly it’s not big enough for the HA to put up a sign for it.

why haven`t I used it … possibly because I get a nose bleed if I go that far north
not getting there & back in the same 9hrs … Nnnnnnoooooooooooo :wink:

Conor:
That’s the problem…by the time you realise it’s there, you’ve passed J13. Sadly it’s not big enough for the HA to put up a sign for it.

Exactly the reason for using it then!

I avoid anywhere who calls itself a TRUCKSTOP in the UK

they;ll do a good parking deal if u ask them…if u know what i mean :wink: :wink:

No signs for it they should have a word with whoever owns the fields at the side of the M/way and do a deal to stick a sign in, anyway North come off for Abingdon services take the first left on the old A74 and it is up there on the left.

They tried to make a sign by writing one letter on each of the cows in the field next to the motorway.
The swines moved and nobody knew what PORT STUCK meant :laughing:

• Marky -:
    they;ll do a good parking deal if u ask them…if u know what i mean :wink: :wink:

I do… and they did :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

I`ve just copied the info that Lucy posted about Red Moss and printed it off and stuck it into my A5 sized HA truckstop guide that I carry … but never use

Thats the problem Lucy you old hands knew the old road ran parallel with M74 us newbies didn`t know it was there :laughing: :laughing:

How long has M74 been open grey cells & memories not to good :question:

there are loads of truckstops that no one knows about.
why does,nt T+D do a large FREE poster in the mag with a map of all these proper truckstops on. something handy to keep in the cab.
the truckstops could even sponsor the map. :bulb:

• Marky -:

Er…Correct. :wink:

So…Did anyone get in there this week? Can we turn Eddie (the landlord)'s luck for him? I tried one night but ran out of time further south. :cry:

This place reopened about two years ago, mind you, I haven’t been on the B7078 since it was the A74. I usually stop at Hamilton or Southwaite. I reckon I’ll give it a try. Anything to get one over the MSA’s.

Give this a try:

transportcafe.co.uk/redmoss.html

Now there are no excuses.

Dazza

Lucy:

• Marky -:

Er…Correct. :wink:

So…Did anyone get in there this week? Can we turn Eddie (the landlord)'s luck for him? I tried one night but ran out of time further south. :cry:

er no :blush:

i stopped at the new one up from the woodmill down from annadale water. its started to pick up a bit of buisness now and the foods fresh to order. the further i got the bigger the lie in was what swayed it for me :stuck_out_tongue: . next time im up there i will call in :smiley:

It was open, then it closed, now it’s open again.

Although it’s in the wrong place for me to use now, due to where the UK parts of my week start and finish, it’s a relatively local truckstop to me.
I didn’t know if it was open or not.
If I didn’t know, how is anyone else going to know ?

(I’m not saying I’m special :slight_smile: , but I do try and keep up with things like this).

I’ve also mentioned it in posts, where it is, how to get there etc.

There are also several alternatives, so he’s got competition.
Working north from the border, (as far as I remember),
Gretna Services,
The NEW Ecclefechan Truckstop,
The NEW Lockerbie Truckstop,
Johnstone Bridge Services,
Crawford (2 truckstops),
Abington Services,
Red Moss Truckstop, (now open for business again),
Cairn Lodge Services,
The (Old) Star (Pub on the old road, if it’s still open as a TS),
The Europa Truckstop. (The New Star TS, new owners, refurbished and renamed).

All of these have been open constantly, the Red Moss closed for a while. If I was overnighting in the area, I would have found an alternative while the Red Moss was closed, obviously. Why change back to the Moss if my alternative gives me good enough and reliable service?

The Moss was always a good stopping point for us when we had upto 7 trucks a day in Scotland. One of the drivers almost lived there and kept in contact with the owners after they had sold up and gone home to Dundee. Although, we had a good choice of alternative parking places from Motherwell to the Golden Fleece

There was one driver who I believe use to work with Pat Hasler at Lep / Swifts who had a secret life in Scotland :stuck_out_tongue: and led a double life between the Red Moss and Doncaster