Red Moss - Why is no-one using it?

Dazza:
Give this a try:

transportcafe.co.uk/redmoss.html

Now there are no excuses.

Dazza

Ah, I wasn’t sure if Lucy was on about the one I was thinking of, but I see from the pic at the bottom of that link that it is!

:open_mouth: That place is seriously out in the sticks. I’ve only been past it once and that was purely by coincidence as I’d parked up for the night in a layby a few miles short of it, enroute Aberdeen. It wouldn’t have made any difference if I’d got to it though as it was about 10pm and they would’ve been shut.

I passed it the next morning as I continued up the old road to rejoin the 74 near Lesmahagow, and thought the place was shut down. It’s just so off the beaten track and with no signs of life either. :open_mouth:

They need some serious signage on the motorways for them to survive up there and I think they’ll struggle anyway with Abington services at the bottom end. The fact that they can’t be seen from the motorway is another big problem for them and the also the Crawford Arms is only a ■■■■ down the road which I know a lot of drivers favour. :confused:

Simon:
Gretna Services,
The NEW Ecclefechan Truckstop,
The NEW Lockerbie Truckstop,
Johnstone Bridge Services,
Crawford (2 truckstops),
Abington Services,
Red Moss Truckstop, (now open for business again),
Cairn Lodge Services,
The (Old) Star (Pub on the old road, if it’s still open as a TS),
The Europa Truckstop. (The New Star TS, new owners, refurbished and renamed).

All of these have been open constantly, the Red Moss closed for a while. If I was overnighting in the area, I would have found an alternative while the Red Moss was closed, obviously. Why change back to the Moss if my alternative gives me good enough and reliable service?

Good point Simon…BUT look at the facts surrounding the above:

Gretna, Johnstonebridge, Abington, Cairn Lodge and Hamilton are all MSAs and expensive with crap service to go along with it. Even Cairn Lodge isn’t up to much, despite not being run by one of the main companies.

Ecclefechan and Lockerbie are a good hour south, so you have to have the time to get to them…Or time to throw away stopping short at them. Ok, so that’s true of anywhere, but if you are in the market for a t/stop further up, they are off your list by location. It’s like saying the Fleece is competition for Barton, or Brough is competion for Penrith. And when you do use them, they aren’t “homely” places by any means. Yes, they’re new and shiny, but how long will that last?

Europa (Lesmahgow) may have been refurbished blah-di-blah, but it’s bloody awful by most accounts.

So that just leaves the two at Crawford and The Star, as competition, none of which are any better known than Red Moss. Hell, one of the Crawford ones doesn’t even have a flat truck park to sleep on, and no-one has any idea whether the Star still exists or not! :unamused:

Ok, so Red Moss hasn’t had enough publicity, but it’s getting some now, so anyone who’s read this no longer has any excuse. It isn’t off route by any means, as the road it’s on follows directly alongside the motorway with exits back on at each end. Given how close to impossible it’s getting these days to find a layby along there, it’s by no means off the beaten track. It’s also open until 11pm, so late arrival isn’t a problem.

Use 'em or lose 'em, is the motto. Parking outside of MSAs is becoming more and more of a problem on that route, and what there is needs supporting.

Lucy:
Ok, so Red Moss hasn’t had enough publicity, but it’s getting some now, so anyone who’s read this no longer has any excuse. It isn’t off route by any means, as the road it’s on follows directly alongside the motorway with exits back on at each end. Given how close to impossible it’s getting these days to find a layby along there, it’s by no means off the beaten track. It’s also open until 11pm, so late arrival isn’t a problem.

Use 'em or lose 'em, is the motto. Parking outside of MSAs is becoming more and more of a problem on that route, and what there is needs supporting.

Now The Red Moss has got a thread with 21 posts in it all to itself (22 counting this one).
With the weekend approaching, this will do a nice advertising job for them.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
You won’t get parked there next week :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I’m off to East kilbide in a week or two. We usually stop off at Southwaite on our way back down (around half 9-10pm), but I will definitely be trying out the new Red Moss, if only to see if it’s as good as Lucy says.

Dazza

dave:
there are loads of truckstops that no one knows about.
why does,nt T+D do a large FREE poster in the mag with a map of all these proper truckstops on. something handy to keep in the cab.
the truckstops could even sponsor the map. :bulb:

You’re right!! There are loads of lovely little stopping places that the majority know nothing about… and to be honest, you will find that the people that DO know about them like it like that!!
I know some cracking little places that get maybe 30 trucks in and I NEVER advertise them to anyone.

TheBear:

dave:
there are loads of truckstops that no one knows about.
why does,nt T+D do a large FREE poster in the mag with a map of all these proper truckstops on. something handy to keep in the cab.
the truckstops could even sponsor the map. :bulb:

You’re right!! There are loads of lovely little stopping places that the majority know nothing about… and to be honest, you will find that the people that DO know about them like it like that!!
I know some cracking little places that get maybe 30 trucks in and I NEVER advertise them to anyone.

I was thinking exactly the same, another good stopping place spoilt :blush:

TheBear:

Wheel Nut:

This is preciesly the reason why there’s no camaraderie in our industry any more.

No wonder the industry’s going down the plughole and small outlet’s like Red Moss struggle for a couple of years then collapse.

With more and more A-roads being turned into Motorways, it’s sensible to remind the newby’s about places like this.

I’ve seen this industry change rapidly as I’m sure most of the older lads have, but no wonder we’ve got such a crap reputation when we don’t even look after our own.

Dazza:

TheBear:

Wheel Nut:

This is preciesly the reason why there’s no camaraderie in our industry any more.

No wonder the industry’s going down the plughole and small outlet’s like Red Moss struggle for a couple of years then collapse.

With more and more A-roads being turned into Motorways, it’s sensible to remind the newby’s about places like this.

I’ve seen this industry change rapidly as I’m sure most of the older lads have, but no wonder we’ve got such a crap reputation when we don’t even look after our own.

There is plenty of camerarderie among older drivers who do share information, but there are too many drivers who still believe there are only 2 motorways in the UK and they are not allowed to use trunk roads.

You need to worry about the truckstops closing down because new drivers sit in their cab all night watching TV and eating pot noodle.

If the newbys were prepared to learn from old ■■■■■ they would discover a lot of things. instead of passing a simple test and knowing it all overnight

Wheel Nut:
If the newbys were prepared to learn from old ■■■■■ they would discover a lot of things. instead of passing a simple test and knowing it all overnight

Well we might as well all pack up and go home then. Every man for himself.

I’m not on the road anymore.
But i used to stop there whenever i could.Even if it meant getting up earlier the next day.or even doing max hours just to get there.
I was at the bar one night and two drivers walked in around 10pm.The landlady asked if they had eaten and would rusttle them something up if they wanted.Even something cooked.But they opted for a sarnie as not to put her to trouble.I’ m sure they were more gobsmacked of being asked.as the usualy reply is “no food left” or just the burnt offerings as leftovers. (for which full charge is still expected) .

I could’nt praise the place enough. Even sitting eating your food is a delight,with the fantastic view you get for the resturant.And you get a quiet nights kip.As long as a muppet dos’nt decide to leave his motor running for half an hour in a morning,but you can get that anywhere.

As said above,use it or loose it.

Tony b

We used to stop there regular about 25 to 30 years ago :open_mouth: :open_mouth: .I’m pretty sure back then the only parking was that bit of ground to the right of the place? . a couple of us stopped there one night in the middle of winter, 06.00 next morning we couldn’t get up the slope out onto the road :laughing: :laughing: .so out came the shovells and we cleared the snow for them :laughing: :laughing: .we;ll it warmed us up.
Bob

On the morning of Fri 8 Jan (and after reading various posts about this place)I decided to give it a try (if only for breakfast).
I drove down from Perth (starving) and in the wind, rain and dark overshot the entrance, so carried on for a couple of miles and turned around to drive back.
I pulled in looking forward to this good grub (3 or 4 trucks parked up)and guess what ■■ It was closed and all in darkness. I dont expect 24hr opening but this was after 7.30 on a Friday morning.
So can anybody tell me what the score is so I can try again next week ?

Being a pub I’m afraid they don’t do mornings. :wink: :laughing:

Well worth a visit for dinner though, and the landlord will get his missus to rustle something up pretty much right through until closing. :sunglasses:

Lucy:
Being a pub I’m afraid they don’t do mornings. :wink: :laughing:

Thanks. I’ll stop there for lunch next week…