Red heatwave warning

With temperatures expected to exceed 40 degrees on Monday/Tuesday and a recommendation to avoid travel, is there any precautions we should be taking or expecting employers to put in place?

telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/0 … t-warning/

Make sure you have plenty of water.

For those of you on a telematics bonus, find out if they will let you run the engine while you’re parked up, to run the aircon.

I don’t remember all this hysteria in the Summer of 1976.
Also those types of temperatures or even higher are nothing unusual in Southern Europe lasting for weeks/months during the Summer not a few days.

the nodding donkey:

For those of you on a telematics bonus, find out if they will let you run the engine while you’re parked up, to run the aircon.

Never mind asking them is it ok. Just do it it…ignore all the offices bods if they complain about you running air con…point out there more than likely in a very cold Aircon office. Using more energy on there electric bill… compared to the pennies of fuel your wasting using it on your truck.
. Glad I don’t work anyware that uses telematics

And glad I don’t do nights out anymore.
And obviously keep drinking cold drinks water and wear a baseball cap keep the heat off your head

So basically it’ll be around 35’c which it was a couple of weeks ago and we all carried on regardless. Just remember the suncream and not the 5 year old stuff.

Multidrop could be fun esp in DAF rigids without aircon as some employers are money grabbing POS (like my previous employer). In our bin wagons we’re starting slightly earlier although that won’t help massively as I rarely finish before 4pm.

Beyond that, I doubt employers can do much especially as most will be sat hopefully in air con cooled trucks. Not good if sat at an RDC however, wonder if they will have aircon.

DOES THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE RUSSIANS :question: :question: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Carryfast:
Also those types of temperatures or even higher are nothing unusual in Southern Europe lasting for weeks/months during the Summer not a few days.

More nonsense from you, highest was 35.6c on the 28th of July in Southampton …. This is expected to be 40c or above …

Come to Australia 35 is normal summer day.

Can’t believe that some shops ect are shutting on Monday Tuesday…WTF!!

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

rearaxle:
Can’t believe that some shops ect are shutting on Monday Tuesday…WTF!!

It’s cos the UK can’t cope unless it’s panicking. In another 6 months it will put 0.5" of snow down and the same will happen.

Shame i live in such a ■■■■■■■■ of a country.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

We actually had a driver phone the TM today and say “my wife has said that it’s too hot to come to work on Monday so I’ll need to take the day off!” The TM in a rare display of spine responded with “crack on, I’ll log it as an unauthorised absence and initiate a disciplinary action”.

Truckulent:
Shame i live in such a [zb] of a country.

Sweet FA to do with the country mate, but everything to do with the spineless and entitled weasels that live here.

discoman:

Carryfast:

More nonsense from you, highest was 35.6c on the 28th of July in Southampton …. This is expected to be 40c or above …

Oi! A bit more discretion who you hand out invitations to, if you please. :laughing:

Can’t see what all the fuss is for I was in France 2 weeks back it was 42 degrees .

edd1974:

the nodding donkey:

Never mind asking them is it ok. Just do it it…ignore all the offices bods if they complain about you running air con…point out there more than likely in a very cold Aircon office. Using more energy on there electric bill… compared to the pennies of fuel your wasting using it on your truck.

And obviously keep drinking cold drinks water and wear a baseball cap keep the heat off your head

Picking the revs up slightly with the cruise control should fool most of the telematics that it’s not idling, failing that handbrake off with the trailer brake on. Failing that getting a job with a decent company that’s not run by pointy shoes would definitely work

Best off ask for advice on the Old Timers Middle east Forum
Cab temperatures often at 57/60c + and no air conditioning.

A tip - if it’s really hot put a towel or a cloth over the steering wheel when you take a break, saves you burning your hands when you jump back in the cab to carry on :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Night-and-day:
Picking the revs up slightly with the cruise control should fool most of the telematics that it’s not idling,

This ^^^ works actually as telematics are programmed to ignore fast idle for things like PTO use. I do it all the time when picking trailers up on account of the ridiculously small MAN air tanks.

Suppose working with fridges are bliss in these temps then.

I take them frozen cages out real slow from the frozen section. Like reallllll slow. (You know, in case I trip).

On a serious note, if anyone works on the fridges. Chuck your food/water into a pouch/drawstring bag. Leave it in the back. On your break, you got nice cold food and water.

Night-and-day:

edd1974:

the nodding donkey:

Picking the revs up slightly with the cruise control should fool most of the telematics that it’s not idling, failing that handbrake off with the trailer brake on. Failing that getting a job with a decent company that’s not run by pointy shoes would definitely work

Not anymore it doesn’t :imp:

Muddy K:
Suppose working with fridges are bliss in these temps then.

I take them frozen cages out real slow from the frozen section. Like reallllll slow. (You know, in case I trip).

On a serious note, if anyone works on the fridges. Chuck your food/water into a pouch/drawstring bag. Leave it in the back. On your break, you got nice cold food and water.

Even put a couple of shirts in the back as well [emoji106]

discoman:

Carryfast:

As opposed to the weeks not days of well above 30C temperatures in London, working in the fabrication shop of a factory, with a glass roof, welding and plasma and gas cutting steel plate let alone welding and grinding inside steel tanks, dressed in protective clothing to suit, in which the idea of air conditioning was unheard of.