Red Diesel.

Can we have a definitive answer on this?

Does red diesel damage an engine, is it in some way inherently different, less highly refined etc, or is red diesel simply fully-refined diesel which has had a harmless red dye added?

Just a harmless red dye.

+1 Why do farmers run there Mers And Bm’s on it

Harry Monk:

Does red diesel damage an engine, is it in some way inherently different, less highly refined etc, or is red diesel simply fully-refined diesel which has had a harmless red dye added?

I dont think that all red diesel meets the EN590 regs which engine manufacturers insist we put in our tanks to ensure no engine damage.

It has had a dye added. It is in no way detrimental to an engine whatever anyone else say’s.

Solly:
It has had a dye added. It is in no way detrimental to an engine whatever anyone else say’s.

^this^

The reputation of red as making filters clog etc comes from the old days when it was stored in belly tanks, which were sometimes of dubious quality and full of rust and various other crap due to their location under the trailer :wink:

newmercman:

Solly:

^this^

The reputation of red as making filters clog etc comes from the old days when it was stored in belly tanks, which were sometimes of dubious quality and full of rust and various other crap due to their location under the trailer :wink:

Plus it was cut with kerosene at places like Bulgaria or Romania

Wheel Nut:

newmercman:

Solly:

^this^

Kerosene=Paraffin+Diesel. ?

Harry Monk:
is red diesel simply fully-refined diesel which has had a harmless red dye added?

Correct.

Solly:

Wheel Nut:

newmercman:

Solly:

^this^

Paraffin is dry, it hasnt got the same lubrication properties. Try rubbing it between your fingers

TVO was a mix of paraffin and petrol

When i worked in a cab office, most of the turks ran thier bmw’s/sharans/audi’s etc etc on red with no problems.

Not sure now, but vehicles running on red used to smoke more, but I believe that was the die that caused that.

The die is only added to show it’s been bought without the duty paid on it required for road fuel.

waynedl:
Not sure now, but vehicles running on red used to smoke more, but I believe that was the die that caused that.

The die is only added to show it’s been bought without the duty paid on it required for road fuel.

That is true and each marker dye can be identified to each fiscal zone.

We use compound 24

Wheel Nut:

Solly:

Wheel Nut:

newmercman:

Solly:

^this^

Paraffin is dry, it hasnt got the same lubrication properties. Try rubbing it between your fingers

TVO was a mix of paraffin and petrol

red derv wont do any harm at all, engines are made to fit vehicles all over the world, the grade of fuel/diesel used is not the same the world over in the first place so the red dye wont hurt, some/most countries don’t sell rebated fuel in the first place so ask yourself “do the engine builders provide special engines that are ok for red in the countries that use it”

answer NO!!!
when we mix TVO we also put a small amount of oil in for lubrication, some folk used to put in diesel, but these days diesel has less lubrication in to start with so i would go with the oil!
moose

Harry Monk:

the red diesel sold is also now refined with emissions in mind the same as white,it is white till the dye is added, a lot of my mates are farmers or plant hire men, and i remember them telling me that their fuel suppliers had contacted them iro 2 years ago in regards the sulphur content and the fact the newer stuff wont lubricate as well, the white we put in road vehicles is also less lubricating!

Moose:

Harry Monk:

the red diesel sold is also now refined with emissions in mind the same as white,it is white till the dye is added, a lot of my mates are farmers or plant hire men, and i remember them telling me that their fuel suppliers had contacted them iro 2 years ago in regards the sulphur content and the fact the newer stuff wont lubricate as well, the white we put in road vehicles is also less lubricating!

300 ml of two stroke oil in a tank full of red or white helps the pumps on cars which have fragile pumps , some Vectras , some mondeos , I use it , the two stroke oil , in a Vectra 2.2 which are having pump probs due to low sulphur Diesel .

Red doesnt cause any problems whatsoever .

just change the fuel filter a bit more often. the die does build up in it. but other than that it’s the same fuel.

Farmer’s used to run on gas oil which was called red diesel if that was put into a new car now you will get problems,now they use red diesel which is the same as white so won’t do any harm.

mac12:
Farmer’s used to run on gas oil which was called red diesel if that was put into a new car now you will get problems,now they use red diesel which is the same as white so won’t do any harm.

gas oil, and red diesel are the same thing. heating oil, and kerosene are the same.
they may have used kerosene, and called it gas oil, but they arn’t the same thing.

Harry Monk:

Blimey Harry, you haven’t even had your first invoice yet and you’re considering running on cherry :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink: :smiley: