Recording break when double manning? HELP

Can someone please tell me how you record your 45 minute break when double manning on digital tacho.
I know that when you have completed 4.5 hours driving you need to swap your cards over but when i am now taking my 45 mins break whilst co driver is driving but the digi tacho only shows POA. My question is this, how do i record that the first 45 mins of POA is my break, can you make a manual entry, or do i need to take a print out and make entry on the back or do i not record it as the first 45 mins of POA is counted as “break” anyway.
I need to know asap if possible as i am setting off at 5.30 tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance.

Jamie

You cannot take a break in a moving vehicle :slight_smile:

you can take a break ie 45 mins etc in a moving double manned vehicle, digi card in driver 2 position set to break, if both drivers taking break i stationery vehicle both cards set to break, you cannot take REST PERIOD IN A MOVING VEHICLE

thanks green456, i thought that i read on a post somewhere on here that the digi tacho do not take into account double manning so when driver2 set to break and vehicle starts moving the tacho shows POA and not break. This is why i am wondering how you record that the first 45 mins of POA ie vehicle moving is break. Can you either make a manual entry before card is removed or take a printout and make note of it on back or make no manual record as the first 45 mins can count as break anyway.

There is a design flaw in a digital tachograph that VOSA are well aware of, so the first 45 minutes of POA is allowed as a break.

Remember the difference between Break and Rest and it was correctly mentioned that you cannot take a daily or weekly rest period on a moving vehicle. but a 45m break is quite legal in this instance.

As per wheelnut, first 45 mins of POA when double manning is classed as break so perfectly OK. Have a nice trip!

(And yes only daily rest not to be taken in a moving vehicle).

Lycanthrope:
You cannot take a break in a moving vehicle :slight_smile:

Yes you can.

green456:
you can take a break ie 45 mins etc in a moving double manned vehicle, digi card in driver 2 position set to break,

You cannot set the second position to break while the vehicle is moving, it defaults to POA.

laughjimbo:
thanks green456, i thought that i read on a post somewhere on here that the digi tacho do not take into account double manning so when driver2 set to break and vehicle starts moving the tacho shows POA and not break. This is why i am wondering how you record that the first 45 mins of POA ie vehicle moving is break. Can you either make a manual entry before card is removed or take a printout and make note of it on back or make no manual record as the first 45 mins can count as break anyway.

Don’t need to do anything. In multi-manning operations the first 45 minutes of POA for the card in position 2 is assumed to be break by VOSA. You would only need to take a printout if you performed other work while your card was in position 2, navigating or doing paperwork for example. Then strictly speaking you would take a printout and write an explanation correcting the fact you weren’t on POA.

Wheel Nut:
There is a design flaw in a digital tachograph that VOSA are well aware of, so the first 45 minutes of POA is allowed as a break.

Correct, but it should be pointed out that this only applies to multi-manning operations. In single manned vehicles all POA is POA and break is break. Drivers have been caught out when they have read about the 45 minutes of POA as break thing and thought they could use it when they were not part of a multi man team.

zippy!:

Not only daily, weekly rest as well.

zippy!:

[/quote]
Sorry forgot that bit but obviously… doh.

zippy!:

zippy!:

Sorry forgot that bit but obviously… doh.
[/quote]
And just to confuse things, technically you can’t take a regular weekly rest in either a moving or stationary vehicle. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

Thanks guys for all the very prompt answers!! :smiley: :smiley:
Will post back about my trip and how it all goes.

Jamie

Do you not leave the cards in the same slots or do you have to swap them over every driver change over?

Silver_Surfer:
Do you not leave the cards in the same slots or do you have to swap them over every driver change over?

Swap cards over just as with analouge tachos. Position 2 cannot record driving, which makes sense because with driving automatically recorded the card in slot two would be recording driving the person driving when that isn’t the case.

One day they might design a digi where the ‘prime’ user can be selected without changing the cards in the slots so only the prime will record the driving but still leave the other ‘user’ able to select the other modes … one day …

ROG:
One day they might design a digi where the ‘prime’ user can be selected without changing the cards in the slots so only the prime will record the driving but still leave the other ‘user’ able to select the other modes … one day …

Hopefully they won’t. People have enough trouble remembering to use the mode switch as it is so having to select driving as well is a recipe for disaster. It would also be a large step backward by 20 odd years where driving mode is not automatically recorded and the drive symbol appears back on the mode switch.

DNA scan to recognise who is prime driver at the wheel at any given moment :bulb: :wink:

ROG:
DNA scan to recognise who is prime driver at the wheel at any given moment :bulb: :wink:

Yeah, all right George Jetson. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Coffeeholic:

Silver_Surfer:

Swap cards over just as with analouge tachos. Position 2 cannot record driving, which makes sense because with driving automatically recorded the card in slot two would be recording driving the person driving when that isn’t the case.

It can take up to seven minutes for a digi tacho to register a card in the second slot. Don’t move off until it registers it or you will have an infringement !!

MrReliable:
It can take up to seven minutes for a digi tacho to register a card in the second slot. Don’t move off until it registers it or you will have an infringement !!

What is VOSA’s take on this? Surely it’s not a ‘serious’ infringement. We do a lot of double manning with the digi tacho and it’s a right pain swapping the cards over all the time and waiting for it to register the 2nd card :unamused:

Let’s face it, who’s got 5-7mins to sit doing nothing everytime you swap cards :confused:

Andy,
If it don’t let it register the second card each time you stop and changeover I believe you will have problems if stopped by VOSA I know the French and Belgians love a “PROBLEM” like this.
If it doesn’t register I presume that both drivers will have big blocks missing out of their day with only the current driver recording any speed.mode or time worked.
Just need to plan your changeovers better usually left one driver in the truck swapping cards while the other got the coffee’s in :smiley:

ROG:

why? its fine the way it is tbh, if your driving your cards in slot 1, if your not its in slot 2 where the first 45 mins of poa is recorded as break.

please tell me whats soo hard about that? the only thing i can see that needs sorted is the time it takes to replace the cards. we timed it at 7 mins once, do that 4 times a day and thats half an hour lost compared with analouge