Reasons to be miserable part 3

In France they call it Jambes Lourdes (Heavy Legs) Aching, Tired & Heavy limbs, especially if you are inactive or suffered from trauma.

Well mine have developed into something more serious. I am being treated by my GP with a further appointment next week.

I wouldn’t wish this on an enemy!

More tests and results on Tuesday

At the moment both legs are competing with each other to leak, even after bathing it 2 or 3 times per day.

Jesus that looks nasty, any idea of the cause?

I take it the doctor doesn’t know what’s causing it, do they have any ideas ?

Anyway good luck on Tuesday :wink:

tachograph:

No, they just gave me antibiotics :open_mouth:

Something to do with circulation, but everything else checks out ok

Wheel Nut:

tachograph:

Prior to the ulcers, did you get severe cramping pain in your calves after walking a shortish distance (worse walking uphill), but subsides if you stop for 5 mins? If do it’s PVD you’ve got.

Rob K:

Wheel Nut:

tachograph:

Prior to the ulcers, did you get severe cramping pain in your calves after walking a shortish distance (worse walking uphill), but subsides if you stop for 5 mins? If do it’s PVD you’ve got.

Cheers Rob, they have looked into that too. They gave me Heparin injections in case it was DVT. Hopefully Tuesday will come up with something.

I am quite attached to my legs!

That’s nice but you didn’t answer my question.

Rob K:
That’s nice but you didn’t answer my question.

Dr Bob Kay.

I was going to PM you, but you don’t have a PM button :neutral_face:

Not so much cramps in the calf, more like in my buttock. I believe this may have stemmed from a fall earlier this year as my thigh and buttock swelled up around the scar from my hip replacement. But yes the pain subsides after about 5 minutes or if I sit on my bed edge.

Was this what you went through?

Wheel Nut:
Not so much cramps in the calf, more like in my buttock. I believe this may have stemmed from a fall earlier this year as my thigh and buttock swelled up around the scar from my hip replacement. But yes the pain subsides after about 5 minutes or if I sit on my bed edge.

I found over the past year or so that I was getting severe pain in my calf muscles and lower legs in general after walking for more than around 5-10 mins, getting progressively worse as time went by, but subsides if I stop for 5 mins. Anyway, long story short, the diagnosis was intermittent claudication which is a sympton of PVD. Sounds very much like you could have PVD if you’ve got ulcers (blood restriction), and that’s pretty far advanced :open_mouth: , but of course it could be some problem/complication with your previous hip op.

If it is PVD, things to do :

1. If you smoke, give it up today, as that’s the main cause of it.
  2. Walk. Do lots of walking. LOTS. The pain will nearly kill you, but you’ve got to fight it and keep on walking. Only stop to rest when it’s really at the top of your pain threshold. 30 mins walking every day will see you huge improvements in your endurance and ulcers after a couple of weeks as blood will have made new routes to the affected areas and can begin the healing process.
  3. Keep your lower body/legs on the same level as - or higher than - your heart as much as poss to help blood flow.
  4. Raise the bottom end of your bed so that your feet and legs are higher than your ticker to help blood flow. It’s an awkward feeling at first but trust me you get used to it pretty quick.
  5. Take aspirin as short-term relief as this thins your blood and helps it get to where it needs to be.

Yours,

Dr. K’s online surgery :grimacing: .

But on a serious note, my Old Man suffered quite bad with this in his 40s. Those lower pics you posted remind me of what his legs used to look like when he removed his bandages :cry: . He was a heavy smoker and also did next-to-no exercise whatsoever and also sat on his arse all day in his job. He had some stents put in but within a few years the problem was back again with a vengeance and it was when the doc started talking about amputation that finally made him realise it was either cigs or legs, not both. The cigs went, as did the fry-ups and my Old Dear ‘conveniently’ happened to stumbled across a dog that was looking for a home, so she had him walking round the park with it in all weathers :laughing: :laughing: but it did the trick and within 4 months he was walking again without sticks and after 12 months you’d have never known he’d had any problems (ulcer scarring all gone, no problems walking etc). So yeah it’s something I know stuff about on a personal level and immediate family as the male side of our family does suffer from vascular problems. :neutral_face:

hope they sort it out for you soon wheelnut and get well soon :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Cheers Rob. I had my last ■■■ at 7.30 last night. I am going to get my bike tyres blown up and try that for an hour a day. If I do the average speed I could be in Manchester for next weekend :laughing:

I am joking of course, but really ■■■■■■■■ myself

Rob K:

Wheel Nut:

I found over the past year or so that I was getting severe pain in my calf muscles and lower legs in general after walking for more than around 5-10 mins, getting progressively worse as time went by, but subsides if I stop for 5 mins. Anyway, long story short, the diagnosis was intermittent claudication which is a sympton of PVD. Sounds very much like you could have PVD if you’ve got ulcers (blood restriction), and that’s pretty far advanced :open_mouth: , but of course it could be some problem/complication with your previous hip op.

If it is PVD, things to do :

1. If you smoke, give it up today, as that’s the main cause of it.
  2. Walk. Do lots of walking. LOTS. The pain will nearly kill you, but you’ve got to fight it and keep on walking. Only stop to rest when it’s really at the top of your pain threshold. 30 mins walking every day will see you huge improvements in your endurance and ulcers after a couple of weeks as blood will have made new routes to the affected areas and can begin the healing process.
  3. Keep your lower body/legs on the same level as - or higher than - your heart as much as poss to help blood flow.
  4. Raise the bottom end of your bed so that your feet and legs are higher than your ticker to help blood flow. It’s an awkward feeling at first but trust me you get used to it pretty quick.
  5. Take aspirin as short-term relief as this thins your blood and helps it get to where it needs to be.

Yours,

Dr. K’s online surgery :grimacing: .

But on a serious note, my Old Man suffered quite bad with this in his 40s. Those lower pics you posted remind me of what his legs used to look like when he removed his bandages :cry: . He was a heavy smoker and also did next-to-no exercise whatsoever and also sat on his arse all day in his job. He had some stents put in but within a few years the problem was back again with a vengeance and it was when the doc started talking about amputation that finally made him realise it was either cigs or legs, not both. The cigs went, as did the fry-ups and my Old Dear ‘conveniently’ happened to stumbled across a dog that was looking for a home, so she had him walking round the park with it in all weathers :laughing: :laughing: but it did the trick and within 4 months he was walking again without sticks and after 12 months you’d have never known he’d had any problems (ulcer scarring all gone, no problems walking etc). So yeah it’s something I know stuff about on a personal level and immediate family as the male side of our family does suffer from vascular problems. :neutral_face:

I never thought I would see the day when Rob gave a sensible and very informative answer on here with no malice in it. Good to see you DO have a soul, Rob lol

Luckily for me, Rob was wrong on this occasion, but I did take him very seriously and printed the article off that I found. The doctor asked why I thought I had PVD and I explained what Rob had said, and went through my family history again.

She has done another bloodtest, the third in 2 weeks, there was a urine sample result which she checked against my previous records. The outcome is good. I have bacterial cellulitis which can be caused by streptococcus. This may have entered into the wound whilst in Hospital and a CT scan has been arranged. At the moment I am on strong Antibiotics, 500mg Flucloxacillin and pain killers, which only seem to make me ■■■■ like a station horse :stuck_out_tongue:

Having a nurse taking care of me daily and taking swabs of the fluid is proving valuable, and the putrid smell is going away and new skin is growing. The bandages are disgusting but no doubt some kind lorry driver will pick those up in leaky clinical waste bags :laughing:

However Rob K was on the button with this and even the doctor was impressed with his diagnosis, having never seen it in the (rotting) flesh so to speak.

As an aside. I am already on a dose of aspirin every day plus other blood rectification tablets. :blush:

If anyone needs medical advice or how to set up as an owner driver. Robert is your man!

PS. One thing has helped and i now sleep with my head on the mattress and my legs against the wardrobe so the poisoned blood can run to my heart and head

That’s good new Wheel Nut :smiley:

Well I think it is anyway, PVD, bacterial cellulitis, streptococcus :open_mouth: :confused: :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously It’s good that you seem to be on the mend :smiley:, lets hope it’s a one way street from here on :wink:

Cellulitis is also something I’ve had experience of too. :open_mouth: You oldies on here probably remember my diary where I got bitten by something on my lower leg and it got infected. Ended up in hospital for 2 weeks on a drip. Also very serious like PVD and potentially limb-losing if not caught quickly. Anyway anti-b’s will have that sorted in no time and you’ll be good to go. :stuck_out_tongue:

Something bit you and IT got infected? Sounds right! :laughing:

Things have certainly improved since May. I am out of bandages and using an antibaterial cream every couple of days, but the bleeding and leaking have stopped, the pain has almost gone and my legs are not swollen as much. Quite a scary time, whatever it was :open_mouth:

Nice to here you on the mend good luck

great to hear that you are on the mend

Those legs weren’t pretty Malc. Glad to hear things are improving for you.