Really!!.

He some kind of insurance expert is he?, and look at the mess it caused on the other side due to rubber necking.

youtu.be/G6OY56-uRKw

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

The truck driver has hit the car he’s in the wrong changing lanes and missing the car being there. He had enough opportunity to know it was there and should have been more cautious about moving left. The car admittedly could have moved over into the nearside lane, but the onus is on the larger vehicle as we all know to protect more vulnerable vehicles, whether we agree with it or not.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Mini totally at fault.

But all great drivers, get basic details swapped phone number and registration number and and witness details and get the ■■■■ vehicles off to the next slip roads or services, but no let’s hold the traffic up for 10 mins and meander around the motorway and cause carnage on the opposite carriageway with rubber neckers. There is a time and place to be taking photos etc, and to be fair even then it would only take a minute or 2 to do that anyway.

stu675:
Mini totally at fault.

If you really think that i’d suggest you hand your licence in. The onus is on the larger vehicle to keep more vulnerable road users safe. With that sort of attitude that will be you one day and could be a lot worse and you could even find yourself in front of the traffic commissioner. I’d have a rethink about things if I were you.

Sign for Emergency Refuge just ahead

stu675:
Mini totally at fault.

The Mini is guilty of having no road craft at all, especially with his son in the car. That accident would not of happened if he hadn’t undertaken the truck then sat in his blind spot, especially with the inside lane clear. In the eyes of law the truck is unfortunately solely at fault for only having a quick mirror check and moving over. The cabbage in the Mini shouldn’t of put himself and his son in that position

simcor:

stu675:
Mini totally at fault.

If you really think that i’d suggest you hand your licence in. The onus is on the larger vehicle to keep more vulnerable road users safe. With that sort of attitude that will be you one day and could be a lot worse and you could even find yourself in front of the traffic commissioner. I’d have a rethink about things if I were you.

Since when was it our job to ‘keep the likes of him safe.’■■
Ok up to a point, but not the 'onus!.
Surely the onus is on him to keep himself safe…especially with a kid on board nonchalantly driving down lane 2 undertaking everything.
If he had been travelling in the correct lane and then consequently not getting in the truck’s BLIND spot (he had ample time to do so ) it wouldn’t have happened.
Lane discipline. :bulb:
Where do I send my licence? :smiley:

To me…

It appears that the lorry slows down and that causes the mini to coast up the inside. I don’t see a rage induced red mini trying to cut everyone up by passing on the left. As the first comment on youtube points out, it’s the sort of thing that as a driver, you should know what’s happening by mirror checking and know he’s there in the blind spot.

But, driving in the blind spot is a pretty stupid thing to do. Then again, are blind spots taught to car drivers at driving school level?

Notice it’s a driver facing camera too.

stu675:
Mini totally at fault.

:open_mouth: you are of course joking.
The lorry is 100% at blame he drove into him

We can argue about blind spots all day long but at the end of the day if the lorry driver had been checking his mirrors properly he would have spotted the car very easily before it got anywhere near any blind spots. Then before moving back over he needs to be very sure he knows where that car is

robroy:

simcor:

stu675:
Mini totally at fault.

Since when was it our job to ‘keep the likes of him safe.’■■
Ok up to a point, but not the 'onus!.
Surely the onus is on him to keep himself safe…especially with a kid on board nonchalantly driving down lane 2 undertaking everything.
If he had been travelling in the correct lane and then consequently not getting in the truck’s BLIND spot (he had ample time to do so ) it wouldn’t have happened.
Lane discipline. :bulb:
Where do I send my licence? :smiley:

Have a look at road hierarchy. Especially as there have been recent highway code changes that puts the onus on heavy vehicles for more vulnerable road users. A vulnerable road user is someone who you can cause the most harm to, because of the size and weight of your vehicle. You won’t agree I know, so waste of time arguing the point.

Until people accept the fact we are expected to keep others safe and change their habits driving like that will continue.

It’s attitudes that have to be changed, like Stu’s blaming the mini, as I said with that sort of cavalier attitude he will be the one doing something like that sooner or later and could end up in a lot worse ■■■■.

Anyone with eyes can see the mini wasn’t at fault for the accident, maybe driving a little below standard, but the professional driver should have known he was there. How can most of us drive for many years and not ever nearly take a car out let alone actually take one out changing lanes? Sheer luck, I don’t think so.

The truck driver should have known the car was there simple as that. He probably did and potentially did it cause he was getting ■■■■■■ off, he now has the arse ache of insurance forms etc.

And no I ain’t going back and forth as you have done your usual truck of adding (should I hand my licence in too) in typical Rob stylee.

Attitudes to driving do have to change, we see it all day every day. But we share the greatest responsibility on the road it really is as simple as that.

Lorry driver is clearly at fault for a number of reasons, not least of all because whether people like it or not, the largest vehicles have the most responsibility (changes to the Highway Code 2022, rule H1 gov.uk/guidance/the-highway … ion#ruleh1).

It looks like he wanted to overtake the Mini, got held up by the red van in front, hadn’t had his eye on his nearside mirror, & wasn’t aware the Mini had moved upside him.

It’s not smart for the Mini to be alongside the HGV, he ought to have been in the inside lane once he’d overtaken the motor home, but the Mini driver isn’t going to be held responsible because the HC 133 puts the responsibility on the truck driver to check before moving lanes
gov.uk/guidance/the-highway … 103-to-158

(EDIT: posted fairly simultaneously with Simcor’s post)

Zac_A:
Lorry driver is clearly at fault for a number of reasons, not least of all because whether people like it or not, the largest vehicles have the most responsibility (changes to the Highway Code 2022, rule H1 gov.uk/guidance/the-highway … ion#ruleh1).

It looks like he wanted to overtake the Mini, got held up by the red van in front, hadn’t had his eye on his nearside mirror, & wasn’t aware the Mini had moved upside him.

It’s not smart for the Mini to be alongside the HGV, he ought to have been in the inside lane once he’d overtaken the motor home, but the Mini driver isn’t going to be held responsible because the HC 133 puts the responsibility on the truck driver to check before moving lanes
gov.uk/guidance/the-highway … 103-to-158

Exactly responsibility aka onus as I said.

Until drivers start changing those attitudes things like this will continue to happen.

I see it all the time truck drives who want to change lanes as quickly as possible, instead of taking a little more care and ensuring it is safe to change lanes.

And the typical driver who gets out and puts his hands on his head. He even knows he was in the wrong most likely.

A little more care and all round attention and he would not have been in that situation. It really is as simple as that.

Being right or blaming someone else does not change the fact.

And as said twice now, the mini was not driving brilliantly but we should expect less professional drivers to be crap and driving and we should be much better than them, whether we agree with it or not is irrelevant.

So the dashcam footage is clearly going to be in the hands of the Mini driver, probably going to be shared with Police I imagine. The Mini’s insurer is going to be in touch asap with the haulage company’s insurer and most like the haulage company itself. Their TM is going to find himself looking at that footage and wondering how to mitigate the damage to the company, no doubt be straight on the phone to the company solicitor asking for advice. Full apologies and the offer of a swift resolution would be the smart option in damage limitation, no doubt with advice on disciplinary action for the driver.

It’s on YouTube so is in the public domain. What a lot of people might not appreciate, and this has been a hot topic of discussion recently for those of us with an interest in what the OTC gets up to, is that police, DVSA, OTC et al, actively scour social media for incidents that might warrant their attention.

Just within the past month a written decision from the OTC was published where two TMs lost their Good Repute, that is, their entitlement to work as a TM, because of what they posted on a FB TM group. And… For those who might be newer to TN, we have previously had a TC (he’s now retired from the OTC) join us as a TN member, this was verified by TN Admin.

Hello Nick, if you’re still with us in another guise, and no doubt having a good laugh at some of the numpty POVs

And, there’s nothing to say Police and/or DVSA aren’t going to make the effort to bring this directly to the attention of the TC, who might very well decide that he’d like to have “tea and biscuits” with the driver, only there won’t be any tea or any biscuits, only a very difficult (for the driver) discussion about what standard are expected from a professional driver.
gov.uk/government/publicati … er-conduct

stu675:
Mini totally at fault.

In case there was any doubt, that was only my wishful thinking posting. Why can’t cars travel at 70mph like they’re supposed to instead of getting under our feet at 56 to save the planet or penny pinch on fuel.

stu675:

stu675:
Mini totally at fault.

In case there was any doubt, that was only my wishful thinking posting. Why can’t cars travel at 70mph like they’re supposed to instead of getting under our feet at 56 to save the planet or penny pinch on fuel.

Good cop out well done.

stu675:

stu675:
Mini totally at fault.

:laughing: Yeah, OK…

Every day’s a school day, and I’m always happy to expand my knowledge, so please direct me to where it states that the minimum speed on a motorway is 70mph.

It doesn’t, not anywhere. It’s a speed limit, not a speed target

And not every HGV is able to do 56mph, some are limited to 52mph or 50mph, (Sainsbury’s seem quite keen on that) and heavy haulage is sometimes limited to far less: STGO Cat 2 & 3, motorway speed limit 40mph

As has been said before on here (by Conor), all of the oversight we have to deal with (Tachos, DVSA etc) are all there only because of those drivers who can’t or won’t do the job according to the rules.

■■■■ up :open_mouth: :blush: