Really nasty hills

ERF-NGC-European:

teech:
As an aside interesting that the Jake Brake was invented by Clessie ■■■■■■■ of ■■■■■■■ engine fame.
By the time of it’s invention in 1965 he had parted ways from ■■■■■■■ Engines and offered it to the company, but they declined.
Jacob’s took it on and never looked back.
If anyone wants a good read try to get a copy of “The Engine That Could” by David Scilia and Jeffrey Cruikshank. Shows how ahead of their time ■■■■■■■ were socially and industrially.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Now THERE’S an interesting bit of transport history! The ■■■■■■■ / Jake combination was quite popular with long-haulers in the '70s, especially with ERFs.

Oh, and it was me BTW that drove an artic over the High Atlas earlier in this thread. It was a gruelling but pleasant drive but I’d rather have had a Fuller than a Eurotronic! :laughing:

Dennis, and later TRANSBUS, continued to fit exhaust brakes to the coach chassis (the Javelin and R Series) until they stopped building them in 2010. All these chassis were ■■■■■■■ engined.

teech:

windrush:
The pair of Foden’s with 250 ■■■■■■■ engines that we at Tilcon had new came fitted with exhaust brakes instead of Jakes, however ■■■■■■■ refused to warranty the engines unless they were removed so we managed without.

Pete.

Not sure exactly how “exhaust brakes” operate but I believe the Jake Brake changes the phasing of the engine valves, during operation, thus preventing damage to the engine (at least that is what the ■■■■■■■ book states). Perhaps that explains ■■■■■■■■ reticence?

The ■■■■■■■ L10 and C series we had were fitted with exhaust brakes fitted by ■■■■■■■ (although they never worked and were soon disconnected!) but apparently the 14 litre engines were not acceptable.

Pete.

windrush:

teech:

windrush:
The pair of Foden’s with 250 ■■■■■■■ engines that we at Tilcon had new came fitted with exhaust brakes instead of Jakes, however ■■■■■■■ refused to warranty the engines unless they were removed so we managed without.

Pete.

Not sure exactly how “exhaust brakes” operate but I believe the Jake Brake changes the phasing of the engine valves, during operation, thus preventing damage to the engine (at least that is what the ■■■■■■■ book states). Perhaps that explains ■■■■■■■■ reticence?

The ■■■■■■■ L10 and C series we had were fitted with exhaust brakes fitted by ■■■■■■■ (although they never worked and were soon disconnected!) but apparently the 14 litre engines were not acceptable.

Pete.

E series erf with the l10 , if the throttle linkage failed (frequently) the engine ran flat out . I drove one up the m1 about 30 miles by using the exhauster when the speed built up too far . Gave in at trowel services . Pulled in an lashed it up with a length of wire . Don’t know if it did the engine any good , but I hated the thing , gutless lump of rubbish .

Hi anybody done Colintraive to Tighnabruich a lot of it single track with passing places :open_mouth: cheers Ray p.s the Berrisdale braes another eye opener :grimacing:

A question for Harry Gill or for Paul M.M.L.

Peel Brow coming out of Ramsbottom on a cold and frosty morning onto the A56 was a bit nasty, even for the cars.
Can anybody remember if there was a single lane bridge near the top of the hill ?

I can’t remember it but it might of been when they were building the M66.

Have you got any photos Paul. :slight_smile:

Photo courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.

Peel Brow,Ramsbottom..jpg

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned The Shipka Pass in Bulgaria, as I know that some of you lads went over it, at one time or another.
There is loads of information about the place on the internet now and after the lifting of The Iron Curtain, it looks like somebody is cashing in on tourism around the area.

At the top of the pass there was a large cobbled area where we used to park up to let the engine cool down. I never saw any of those cannons that are there now but there was a monument to say that there had been a war there years ago between the Bulgarians and the Turks. All the sign posts were in the Cyrillic alphabet so you sometimes struggled to know if you were on the right road.
There were some great views near the top of the pass and I think that there is now a 22 ton weight limit on this road.

As you passed Shipka village on the way home, there used to be a handy layby on the right at the bottom of the pass where you could see the onion shaped, golden dome of a church through the woods.
It was one of those places where I always said to myself, the next time that I am passing then I shall have a look at that church but of course, I never did get to see the place.

youtube.com/watch?v=WJm4OAymYSQ

youtube.com/watch?v=UGTXFehStO4

youtube.com/watch?v=AJqjsvjqVDc

mushroomman:
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned The Shipka Pass in Bulgaria, as I know that some of you lads went over it, at one time or another.
There is loads of information about the place on the internet now and after the lifting of The Iron Curtain, it looks like somebody is cashing in on tourism around the area.

At the top of the pass there was a large cobbled area where we used to park up to let the engine cool down. I never saw any of those cannons that are there now but there was a monument to say that there had been a war there years ago between the Bulgarians and the Turks. All the sign posts were in the Cyrillic alphabet so you sometimes struggled to know if you were on the right road.
There were some great views near the top of the pass and I think that there is now a 22 ton weight limit on this road.

As you passed Shipka village on the way home, there used to be a handy layby on the right at the bottom of the pass where you could see the onion shaped, golden dome of a church through the woods.
It was one of those places where I always said to myself, the next time that I am passing then I shall have a look at that church but of course, I never did get to see the place.

youtube.com/watch?v=WJm4OAymYSQ

youtube.com/watch?v=UGTXFehStO4

youtube.com/watch?v=AJqjsvjqVDc

By jove you’re right there, Mushroomman! The alternative route was ‘little Shipka’ and that was bad enough, especially in bad weather. Here’s a pic I took when we got snowed up for the night on Little Shipka in Dec '95. I was driving the 112.

That’s a very evocative photo Ro and some days you just had to put your Moon Boots on, get your shovel out, put your snow chains on and get on with the job.

mushroomman:
That’s a very evocative photo Ro and some days you just had to put your Moon Boots on, get your shovel out, put your snow chains on and get on with the job.

Or park up and go to bed? :laughing: :laughing:

Although I didn’t follow his advice to the letter, that was what a much more experienced driver that I met in my early international days said. I am myself amazed that it is true but, I have never yet in my life put on snow chains. Even frequently over the Blanc in winter. In fact I wasn’t the only one because when I started driving for Cheveralls of Luton I didn’t have any and was given a bunch to hang on the hooks on the rear of the chassis. I managed without them which was just as well because when I got back I was told that they were only for show for the gendarmes. They weren’t snow chains, just a bunch of chains. :open_mouth: :unamused:

Subsequently, with WhiteTrux, I had some, I think, but never used them. Many years later, after retirement and a new career as a volunteer I began to be asked to go further and further throughout the EU and, as France is almost surrounded by mountains thought I had better get a set for the car. They are still there, I still have them, never been out of the bag. :smiley:

Spardo:

mushroomman:

Or park up and go to bed? :laughing: :laughing:

Although I didn’t follow his advice to the letter, that was what a much more experienced driver that I met in my early international days said. I am myself amazed that it is true but, I have never yet in my life put on snow chains. Even frequently over the Blanc in winter. In fact I wasn’t the only one because when I started driving for Cheveralls of Luton I didn’t have any and was given a bunch to hang on the hooks on the rear of the chassis. I managed without them which was just as well because when I got back I was told that they were only for show for the gendarmes. They weren’t snow chains, just a bunch of chains. :open_mouth: :unamused:

Subsequently, with WhiteTrux, I had some, I think, but never used them. Many years later, after retirement and a new career as a volunteer I began to be asked to go further and further throughout the EU and, as France is almost surrounded by mountains thought I had better get a set for the car. They are still there, I still have them, never been out of the bag. :smiley:

Sometimes the Turk polis would pull you over and make you chain up. This happened to me on the Marmara coast road, which had a lot of short, sharp hills heading from Istanbul to Ipsala.

Hi David, I was given some similar advice by a few very experienced older drivers when I started out. Sometimes, parking up for a few hours made a big difference to the road conditions and a bit of a ‘lie in’ was always welcome.

I was on my way back from Greece once, I.I.R.C. it was in January 1981 and just before Nis, the Yugoslav Malicija were sending all the trucks that were heading towards Belgrade into a field to park up. Apparently, there had been a massive accident that had blocked the main Belgrade to Sophia road and we all ended up parked there for three days.

There must have been over one hundred T.I.R. trucks parked up in that field and it snowed on and off for three days. I had no night heater so I had to keep the engine running for most of the time, just to keep warm.
On the third day when we were allowed to leave, the field was like a mud bath and I only got out of it with the help of two Hungario Camion drivers who had a D.A.F. type double drive Raba.

Here is a little story that I would like to share with you about the snow chains that I had for several years, strange but true.

I bought them in December, at a garage in Austria 1980 and between May and November every year I would put them in a sack and store them in my brother’s garden shed. When I stopped doing international driving in the summer of 1987, I had forgotten all about the snow chains and never thought any more about them.

By 2010 we were living in Oz and we had decided to do a trip back to the U.K. One Saturday afternoon we were on our way to my brother’s house when I noticed an Astran Scania parked up in Steve Greenwoods yard so I stopped to take a photo.
A guy was working on the Scania and I asked him if he would mind if I took a couple of photos. He was very helpful, he seemed like a nice bloke and we had a bit of a chat before I had to shoot off. He mentioned that his name was Carl and that he was doing a couple of jobs on the unit before he went to a truck show somewhere.

When I arrived at my brother’s house, I told him that I had just seen an Astran truck and he said “that reminds me while you are here, what do you want me to do with those snow chains that are still in the shed”.

After twenty-three years I had forgotten all about those chains so I told him to do whatever he wanted with them.
As my brother used to drive past Steve’s yard regularly, he saw Carl one day and asked him if he wanted those snow chains which Carl gratefully accepted, I have no idea what Carl did with them.

B.T.W. David, is your grandfather’s clock still ticking.

I can’t remember where I took this photo but I must of just used the snow chains because I had thrown them on to the side rails of the trailer and not stored them back on the unit.

DOW B58 (1).jpg

Dave and Jimmy Walker.

The National Hotel Belgrade, Yugoslavia.

cc9f98c2 (1).jpg

Carl.

P4170891.JPG

Not My Photo.

Not My Photo.

Morning Mushroomman

A long and interesting post and entirely related to the title of the thread, but there are 3 points in your narrative which bring back memories and will take me somewhat off piste. But there is only you and I reading it so no-one will mind.

I was on my way back from Greece once, I.I.R.C. it was in January 1981 and just before Nis,

On my way back to Oz in about 1967 or 8 I was a passenger, and sometime assistant driver, in a 12 year old AEC Regent coach travelling to New Delhi. We overnighted in a hotel at Nis. Although I had suffered to a degree from hay fever as a kid, nothing prepared me for what was about to happen, quite out of the blue I was struggling for breath and it got so bad that I was convinced I wouldn’t survive. A massive asthma attack. Eventually I did fall asleep and to my amazement woke in the morning entirely free of any problem.
Fast forward 50 odd years and as a volunteer I was making my way east in France to collect a dog next morning from a refuge and take it south to Nimes where I was to swap it for another destined for the Dordogne. I overnighted at the Centre Routier near Moulins and snuggled down after reading to sleep n my Teardrop caravan. At 1am I awoke, unable to breathe again. I sat up in bed, thinking that would help matters, but it made no difference, I was dying for the 2nd time in my life. Eventually in desperation I sent a text abandonning the mission, climbed back behind the wheel and headed for home, or the ‘Urgences’ of the nearest hospital I could find en route. After half an hour I began to recover and made it back to see the doc, who gave me a puffer. It is still in the box, never used, never needed.

we all ended up parked there for three days.

Not snow, nor accident but did need a different kind of help. With WhiteTrux I think, trying to cross into Italy at Ventimiglia there was a massive jam at the customs. The system of documentation or something had changed overnight and no-one, not even the dogana knew how to cope. Finally we were all directed to a large field up the hill behind and then walked down to join the throng in the building. Nothing happened until several Dutch and Flemish drivers, with their unique command of all the languages of Europe managed to get it all sorted out and, waving new paperwork we all trudged back up the hill to continue our journeys.

Sadly no, it is still there but stuck at 16 minutes past three after my wife and a friend decided they would stop it chiming every 15 minutes and broke the pendulum. I keep meaning to get it mended, the chiming could be curtailed simply by removing one of the weights, but I quiver in terror twice every 24 hours at quarter past 3. Not really, but wouldn’t it make a good story if I finally do peg out at that hour? :laughing: :laughing:

Apologies to all for the flight of fancy.There were a lot of hills along the way, honest. :unamused: :smiley:

I agree it was sometimes a relief to sit the snow out. One February evening I stopped at the truck stop at Duzce at the bottom of the Bolu mountain. The polis wouldn’t let us proceed because it was snowing hard up the hill. This was a nice bit of serendipity for me, as it just happened to be my 50th birthday! Plus I was running with Trevor Dodwell and Billy Tingle had just caught us up. Mercifully, I just happened to have some bottles of vino collapso under by bunk (for emergencies, you understand!). :sunglasses:

pic I took of Duzce in the snow heading south east next morning:

Spardo:
But there is only you and I reading it so no-one will mind.

That’s fortunate, isn’t it? :wink: :laughing:

Spardo:

Sadly no, it is still there but stuck at 16 minutes past three after my wife and a friend decided they would stop it chiming every 15 minutes and broke the pendulum. I keep meaning to get it mended, the chiming could be curtailed simply by removing one of the weights, but I quiver in terror twice every 24 hours at quarter past 3. Not really, but wouldn’t it make a good story if I finally do peg out at that hour? :laughing: :laughing:

Apologies to all for the flight of fancy. There were a lot of hills along the way, honest. :unamused: :smiley:

Sorry to hear about the clock and it reminded me straight away about a Spike Milligan book I.I.R.C. called Puckoon many years ago.
He mentioned about an Irish village where the church clock was only accurate twice a day.

And then I remembered this.

youtube.com/watch?v=Kytd9SPvghA

And then I remembered a book about the guy who started Top Deck Travel with a double decker bus back in the 70’s. He is now one of the richest blokes in Australia and if you are interested in overland travel, then it’s well worth a read.
Star Down Under will of heard of the fellow.

See lads, that’s where we all went wrong, we should of all been bus drivers. This time next year we could all be millionaires. :wink:

The book is called Top Deck Daze by Bill James and I am sure that many of you will remember seeing their orange and white double decker buses somewhere on your travels.

Anyway back on topic.

Bolu in Turkey has been mentioned on this thread a couple of times but I don’t think that there are any photos. :confused:

Here is one of Bolu taken by a colleague of mine Pete Woodfinden, sometime in the eighties.

Bolu, Turkey.

mushroomman:
The book is called Top Deck Daze by Bill James and I am sure that many of you will remember seeing their orange and white double decker buses somewhere on your travels

I used to drive busses with a fellow of the same name. He had a minor collision with a cyclist who was riding around the globe, starting in England. Coincidently, they both hailed from the same city in England. Billy certainly copped some ribbing about the poor fellow who rode halfway around the world, to get cleaned up by him. :laughing:

Love the Italian joke. :laughing:

Bolu in Turkey, don’t know where that is but we did descend many hairy hills in that country and also Bulgaria before, but I doubt that that was one of them because we didn’t take the traditional route east for trucks to Iran. For reasons best known to the ‘captain’, from Istanbul we took the road south to Adana and then across the border into Syria.

It was in Turkey I think where we lost braking power, overheating I suspect, on a long down grade with a sharp drop into the valley where we could see at least one crumpled truck at the bottom. The owner was driving, he had been a bus driver I think, there were only 2 lorry drivers on board and the one other than me was was nicknamed Wishbone due to his resemblance to a character in a western TV show of the time. The owner, the Captain, was beginning to panic and Wish, who was nearby slipped into the driving seat pushing him out the other side, and then proceeded to go down through the box enough to slow the downward progress. Seeing a very large stony parking area which appeared on the left that was completely empty, he steered onto that swinging the wheel over as he yanked hard on the handbrake. In a cloud of dust we came to a halt facing the way we had come. Wheels were chocked and brakes were released as we sat there for a long time till it was adjudged that they were recovered enough for a short test. Then we carried on. :unamused:

A rather shaky outfit, to say the least, we had many more such adventures, including, in Iran, after a repair in a roadside workshop there was a dispute as to the correct amount of remuneration demanded. The answer was for the Captain to get behind the wheel and return to the highway at the max speed he could muster from the old girl. Before long a pick-up drew along side with the mechanic in the back hurling rocks at us. Fortunately, he soon ran out of rocks and retired. :laughing:

This looks like Mont Cenis to me, at the start and at the end.

At 28 mins 56 secs, Jon stops at The Bake House.

youtube.com/watch?v=kjnwG9Xrw-c

mushroomman:
This looks like Mont Cenis to me, at the start and at the end.

At 28 mins 56 secs, Jon stops at The Bake House.

youtube.com/watch?v=kjnwG9Xrw-c

I agree Mont Cenis where I once went down with a stepframe dragging the underrun bar on every turn. And also definitely the Bakehouse but it looks a lot different now, not much room for wagons and where he pulled in all car parking spaces divided up by areas of pretty flowers, but it is several years since I last pulled in there. But Jon? I thought that was Bob McAngus, the bloke who caused a storm by revealing all the secret goings on with border guards and customs back in the day. I remember he turned up at a London premier with his wagon and crashed the awning in front of the cinema. Or did I dream that?

Bakehouse last year:
google.com/maps/@46.2760598 … 384!8i8192
google.com/maps/@46.2759593 … 384!8i8192

I thought that all the drivers from London were called Jon.
The most popular being Prato Jon, then there was Carrissio Jon and are you going over The Blonc Jon.
Or did I dream that. :confused: