Really nasty hills

mushroomman:
A question for Harry Gill or for Paul M.M.L.

Peel Brow coming out of Ramsbottom on a cold and frosty morning onto the A56 was a bit nasty, even for the cars.
Can anybody remember if there was a single lane bridge near the top of the hill ?

I can’t remember it but it might of been when they were building the M66.

Have you got any photos Paul. :slight_smile:

Photo courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.

There’s 2 roads run parralel Peel Brow and i cant remember the other 1 but i do remember 1 was closed for a while when they were extending the M66 and the other was the only alternative. I went down there with my dad in a Mandator usually overloaded , it was quite steep

mushroomman:
I thought that all the drivers from London were called Jon.
The most popular being Prato Jon, then there was Carrissio Jon and are you going over The Blonc Jon.
Or did I dream that. :confused:

I met another brother of their`s: OhOne Jon.

ramone:

mushroomman:

Peel Brow coming out of Ramsbottom on a cold and frosty morning onto the A56 was a bit nasty, even for the cars.
Can anybody remember if there was a single lane bridge near the top of the hill ?

There’s 2 roads run parralel Peel Brow and i cant remember the other 1 but i do remember 1 was closed for a while when they were extending the M66 and the other was the only alternative. I went down there with my dad in a Mandator usually overloaded , it was quite steep

Thanks for that Ramone. :smiley:
In the 50’s/60’s my brother-in-law used to drive an O’ type Bedford delivering to lots of the mills around the area.
I wonder how many old motors burnt their clutch out while trying to get onto the A56. :frowning:

mushroomman:

ramone:

mushroomman:

I remember Richard Nuttalls 6 & 8 wheeler ERFs coming out of Trinity Paper Mills at the bottom of Peel Brow fully loaded with reels of paper and going up the big hill , J & H Hinchcliffe would do the same. Nuttalls with 180 Gardners

Thanks for that Ramone. :smiley:
In the 50’s/60’s my brother-in-law used to drive an O’ type Bedford delivering to lots of the mills around the area.
I wonder how many old motors burnt their clutch out while trying to get onto the A56. :frowning:

1980s, down the escarpment at Gharyan, Libya. 20 ton machine on the back. High’ boy trailer. Dead slow coming down.

Not a nasty hill more like a gentle slope Just started driving had a N reg D1614 on this day had two jobs did the first loaded up the second load for Hereford thinking i would be late for delivery i put my foot down Just outside Brecon is the village of Felinfach now bypassed Back then out of Brecon there was a hill going into Felinfach A470 I was pushing on and on the hill there was traffic lights on red I was flat out ■■■■ i pressed the footbrake and handbrake was put on I stopped after going through the lights .Luck was on my side that day nothing coming otherway and i learnt a very valuable lesson

There are a few nasty hills I’ve come across here in Oz:

Mt. Victoria pass (NSW):

youtube.com/watch?v=5W9DnI6IqnU

youtube.com/watch?v=ycT_a3NB3tI

youtube.com/watch?v=X2ti9Vfdifg

Bolivia Hill:

youtube.com/watch?v=hNMc7NJgrQI

Mount Ousley:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hv5FURHZfn4

You could add Toowoomba Range:

youtube.com/watch?v=C80JnUaJPQs

youtube.com/watch?v=stzpnfyplng

All of them have steep gradients.

Hi P.R. it’s been over twenty years since I last crossed The Toowoomba Range and I think that it may have changed a bit. I am sure that I read somewhere that there is now a bypass around Toowoomba.

Another steep climb that I remember around that area, was coming from Warwick towards Brisbane through Cunninghams Gap. As you came down there were spectacular views in the distance of The Glass House Mountains and The Scenic Rim. Unfortunately, this guy didn’t show it on his video.

youtube.com/watch?v=KXt2BS9GlD8

Another amazing road that I used in the seventies was The Piekeniers Kloof Pass in The Northern Cape in South Africa.
It was always a struggle back then with a six-ton Nissan U.G. 780.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZjD3oXV4hkM

earth.google.com/web/search/Pie … MWlVM2cQAg