Really nasty hills

Not much experience with nasty hills being that most of our work (tippers) was in and around London but, I distinctly remember Archway Rd causing problems on what seemed like a weekly basis, before the Roundabout was put in there was a High St Bank at the bottom of the hill, can’t remember the name of the Bank but, it was hit on several occasions, fortunately for us we always came down empty, fair old slog going up though with the Motors we had at that time…

Ray

The Gillies near Cairns, Far North Queensland is a beauty.
I preferred it on a motorcycle, rather than in a truck.

youtu.be/k8WpzNWrr0A

mushroomman:
There are not many photos of Mont Blanc on here so I think that I should add a couple.

The Monkey House.

Passing Chamonix.

Courmayeur (I think) ?

Passing The Steelworks On The Way Down.

The Stilts.

Going Up The Stilts.

Great pics! I remember entering the Italian end of the tunnel in sunshine one December day, only to emerge on the Chamonix side in a driving blizzard! I believe this was quite a common occurrence.

Reading further up the page, someone asked why Jake Brakes and retarders weren’t so common in Europe. IIRC, we certainly had them but because the kerb-weight of a standard tractive unit was critical it paid to use lightweight components wherever possible. Jake-brakes are heavier than exhaust-brakes so the latter were more popular; and retarders are considerably heavier than all the alternatives which is why they were so popular in coaches but not lorries. Ro

ERF-NGC-European:
Reading further up the page, someone asked why Jake Brakes and retarders weren’t so common in Europe. IIRC, we certainly had them but because the kerb-weight of a standard tractive unit was critical it paid to use lightweight components wherever possible. Jake-brakes are heavier than exhaust-brakes so the latter were more popular; and retarders are considerably heavier than all the alternatives which is why they were so popular in coaches but not lorries. Ro

That would be me Robert, and you are mostly right but not in one important aspect. Retarders in France were excluded from the weight of the tractor I think, in order to encourage their use on safety grounds without affecting the carrying capacity of the truck. But thank you for explaining why regarding the weight penalty. :smiley:

Regarding nasty hills, this was one of the scariest I encountered regularly. The B 5036 down into Cromford near Matlock, simply called The Hill. I only knew it from the quarry near the top but coming down fully loaded in crawler on its 1:8 / 12% slope was a real knee trembler. You only get a sense of the steepness on this video when you start to see the houses either side and it was into the bends there one wet day as I crawled down a cyclist overtook me. :open_mouth: Leaning into the bend his tyres lost traction on the wet suface and he fell to ground but, staying with the bike and sliding horizontally wheels first, his tyres then found a grip and jerked him upright, after which he continued nonchalantly on his way. :laughing: :laughing:

For us it was only the sign for the left turn up the Via Gellia to the left which sygnified safety and we could breath again. :unamused: :smiley:

Here it is: youtu.be/7YSuaaKDQqc

Spardo:

ERF-NGC-European:

That would be me Robert, and you are mostly right but not in one important aspect. Retarders in France were excluded from the weight of the tractor I think, in order to encourage their use on safety grounds without affecting the carrying capacity of the truck. But thank you for explaining why regarding the weight penalty. :smiley:

Regarding nasty hills, this was one of the scariest I encountered regularly. The B 5036 down into Cromford near Matlock, simply called The Hill. I only knew it from the quarry near the top but coming down fully loaded in crawler on its 1:8 / 12% slope was a real knee trembler. You only get a sense of the steepness on this video when you start to see the houses either side and it was into the bends there one wet day as I crawled down a cyclist overtook me. :open_mouth: Leaning into the bend his tyres lost traction on the wet suface and he fell to ground but, staying with the bike and sliding horizontally wheels first, his tyres then found a grip and jerked him upright, after which he continued nonchalantly on his way. :laughing: :laughing:

For us it was only the sign for the left turn up the Via Gellia to the left which sygnified safety and we could breath again. :unamused: :smiley:

The rest of Europe should’ve taken a leaf out of the French book - it makes common sense for a common market!

Good film. That really is quite a hill. Loved the cyclist tale! :laughing:

Doesnt show the hill too well, but pics of the N121A from near the hydro-electric plant. Bit of an incident ahead, so leg stretch time. BGKs “Young Andy” (Spiech?) there.
Note the huge single sleeper cabs, with mighty 10 litre, 310 horse engines underneath. :smiley:

Still managed to pull a full 24tons* of load though.

• :wink:

I remember that there is an impressive hill heading up and away from Aqaba port in Jordan. I was always impressed watching old bonneted Mercs pounding their way up at a snail’s pace. And this in very hot ambient temperatures, day after day. Well made vehicles.

Dipster:
I remember that there is an impressive hill heading up and away from Aqaba port in Jordan. I was always impressed watching old bonneted Mercs pounding their way up at a snail’s pace. And this in very hot ambient temperatures, day after day. Well made vehicles.

I remember that hill well. Here’s a pic I took of a Merc in Aqaba.

ERF-NGC-European:

Dipster:

I remember that hill well. Here’s a pic I took of a Merc in Aqaba.

Memories…

Spardo:

ERF-NGC-European:

When I was a fitter at Ballidon quarry I took trucks weekly to Derby for their annual test and occasionally took one home with me to Matlock Bath if I had an early test the following day. One day I took a Foden S80 powder tanker home and used the road from Middleton down Porter Lane and Cromford Hill to bed the brakes in and get them nice and hot. I usually loaded them with 15 tonnes of powder etc as you needed weight to get a brake reading. Anyway I was over the pit at the test station and the tester pointed out that a nut holding the nearside front track rod end into the stub axle was missing, however luckily the joint hadn’t parted company so I was fairly fortunate. :wink:

Pete.

Guy Big J 8lxb:
Not much experience with nasty hills being that most of our work (tippers) was in and around London but, I distinctly remember Archway Rd causing problems on what seemed like a weekly basis, before the Roundabout was put in there was a High St Bank at the bottom of the hill, can’t remember the name of the Bank but, it was hit on several occasions, fortunately for us we always came down empty, fair old slog going up though with the Motors we had at that time…

Ray

Hi Ray, Archway Road always seemed a bit of a slog in a Ford D series.

youtube.com/watch?v=I8QhVCQ2NgA

windrush:

Spardo:

ERF-NGC-European:

When I was a fitter at Ballidon quarry I took trucks weekly to Derby for their annual test and occasionally took one home with me to Matlock Bath if I had an early test the following day. One day I took a Foden S80 powder tanker home and used the road from Middleton down Porter Lane and Cromford Hill to bed the brakes in and get them nice and hot. I usually loaded them with 15 tonnes of powder etc as you needed weight to get a brake reading. Anyway I was over the pit at the test station and the tester pointed out that a nut holding the nearside front track rod end into the stub axle was missing, however luckily the joint hadn’t parted company so I was fairly fortunate. :wink:

Pete.

At least if you couldn’t make the turn onto the A 6 there is a nice big rock face to save you going further. :laughing:

Not sure if the A227 Gravesend road out of Wrotham has been mentioned, but north of the roundabout from the A 20 is a bit of a drag. Narrow and twisty road in a lovely tree tunnel, making it nice and slippy in autumn.
Watch out for van drivers coming down the hill[emoji39]
Couple of interesting hills I have encountered, in Britain, are dropping down into Bath. Landsdowne Lane being notorious.
Used to work for a company delivering roofing felt all over Britain in a Volvo F6, 18 tonner, due to site access considerations, so could be going down any type of road.

Noted with interest someone mentioned the road over the Atlas Mountains from Marrakech to Tourodent thro. Tiz n Test. Once went over that in a Fiat Panda hire car whilst on holiday. Was going swimmingly till a local in a Peugeot flat bed decided to hit me head on. Luckily no injuries and unbelievably the car still driveable. His rad burst. He feined to speak no French or English but offered about £70 in compensation. Was advised by another local to take it or be arrested. Did so and on returning the car to the rental company was told the damage would cost …
about £70.[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

As an aside interesting that the Jake Brake was invented by Clessie ■■■■■■■ of ■■■■■■■ engine fame.
By the time of it’s invention in 1965 he had parted ways from ■■■■■■■ Engines and offered it to the company, but they declined.
Jacob’s took it on and never looked back.
If anyone wants a good read try to get a copy of “The Engine That Could” by David Scilia and Jeffrey Cruikshank. Shows how ahead of their time ■■■■■■■ were socially and industrially.

teech:
As an aside interesting that the Jake Brake was invented by Clessie ■■■■■■■ of ■■■■■■■ engine fame.
By the time of it’s invention in 1965 he had parted ways from ■■■■■■■ Engines and offered it to the company, but they declined.
If anyone wants a good read try to get a copy of “The Engine That Could” by David Scilia and Jeffrey Cruikshank. Shows how ahead of their time ■■■■■■■ were socially and industrially.

Now THERE’S an interesting bit of transport history! The ■■■■■■■ / Jake combination was quite popular with long-haulers in the '70s, especially with ERFs.

Oh, and it was me BTW that drove an artic over the High Atlas earlier in this thread. It was a gruelling but pleasant drive but I’d rather have had a Fuller than a Eurotronic! :laughing:

The pair of Foden’s with 250 ■■■■■■■ engines that we at Tilcon had new came fitted with exhaust brakes instead of Jakes, however ■■■■■■■ refused to warranty the engines unless they were removed so we managed without.

Pete.

windrush:
The pair of Foden’s with 250 ■■■■■■■ engines that we at Tilcon had new came fitted with exhaust brakes instead of Jakes, however ■■■■■■■ refused to warranty the engines unless they were removed so we managed without.

Pete.

Not sure exactly how “exhaust brakes” operate but I believe the Jake Brake changes the phasing of the engine valves, during operation, thus preventing damage to the engine (at least that is what the ■■■■■■■ book states). Perhaps that explains ■■■■■■■■ reticence?

ERF-NGC-European:

teech:

Now THERE’S an interesting bit of transport history! The ■■■■■■■ / Jake combination was quite popular with long-haulers in the '70s, especially with ERFs.

Oh, and it was me BTW that drove an artic over the High Atlas earlier in this thread. It was a gruelling but pleasant drive but I’d rather have had a Fuller than a Eurotronic! [emoji38]

An interesting road to say the least! Especially when trying to avoid kamakaze Mercedes taxi drivers overtaking or coming the other way, at speeds which defy explanation![emoji16]

Regarding Jake and exhaust brakes, found these:
youtube.com/watch?v=jaqX2mx1yhQ

youtube.com/watch?v=tQQ23AjlI9s
youtube.com/watch?v=JxOy-UEbhbU

mushroomman:

Guy Big J 8lxb:

Ray

Hi Ray, Archway Road always seemed a bit of a slog in a Ford D series.

youtube.com/watch?v=I8QhVCQ2NgA

Hi MM

I’d been up many times as a kid in the passenger seat, first time up driving was in a 6whl Albion (lad cab) Leyland 400 ex Hoveringham iirc, it was painful, I enjoyed the Video, thank you…

Ray