Really nasty hills

windrush:

Spardo:
This for our recent Aussie mates. I only drove lorries in Oz in The Territory and WA (on the road anyway, Queensland sugar mill was different), and in the northern part at that.

Don’t remember any really scary hills which was just as well. A B61 Mack with 3 trailers full of cows would have been no fun with no exhaust brake, no retarder and no Jake. :open_mouth:

Were they all invented back in the 60s? And how come Jakes didn’t seem to spread to Europe? Or did they? I do have a faint memory of Cat engined wagons fitted with them.

Are retarders more efficient?

Talking about TKs, TMs and also my first steel cabbed Foden, they all had propshaft handbrakes. What was all that about? Snap a drive shaft and you have nothing left to park it with except for large rocks, as long as it will stay still long enough for you to find someone to fetch one for you. :laughing:

Plenty of trucks with Jake brakes in the UK, though I never drove one myself. The Ford Cargo six wheeled rigids with ■■■■■■■ L10 engines the hauliers ran at our quarry had them retrofitted, blooming noisy though and got some complaints from locals when used early morning. Regarding transmission handbrakes, Bedford and Land Rover fitted them to the gearbox output shaft so if a propshaft or half shaft broke or was removed you had no parking brake, however Foden fitted them to the rear of the differential so even if the propshaft snapped the parking brake still worked. The way our Fodens broke propshafts on a weekly basis that was very handy! :laughing:

Pete.

Nowt wrong with foden handbrakes Pete , it’s the rough old buggers that kept breaking the halfshafts . Never managed to break a foden halfshaft in nearly 50 years . Dave

No Dave we never had a halfshaft snap, but those halfcabs with air clutches broke propshafts regularly especially above the Mermaid pub when loaded with clinker from Waterhouses to Hope! The clutch was lighter than the throttle on those, you could press the clutch pedal down with your hand while standing outside the cab and snatching for low 2nd didn’t do the propshaft a deal of good. The S39’s with non air asstance gave no such problems though.

Pete.

robert1952:

Wow!

Surely Shap? Taken about 500 yards before the ‘Leyland Motors for all Time’ clock? D reg Scammell. New style Seddon. Maybe 1971?

John.

Spardo:
This for our recent Aussie mates. I only drove lorries in Oz in The Territory and WA (on the road anyway, Queensland sugar mill was different), and in the northern part at that.

Don’t remember any really scary hills which was just as well. A B61 Mack with 3 trailers full of cows would have been no fun with no exhaust brake, no retarder and no Jake. :open_mouth:

Were they all invented back in the 60s? And how come Jakes didn’t seem to spread to Europe? Or did they? I do have a faint memory of Cat engined wagons fitted with them.

Are retarders more efficient?

Talking about TKs, TMs and also my first steel cabbed Foden, they all had propshaft handbrakes. What was all that about? Snap a drive shaft and you have nothing left to park it with except for large rocks, as long as it will stay still long enough for you to find someone to fetch one for you. :laughing:

Well ! exhaust brakes verses retarder, that’s a can of worms. Here’s fact that I read in a trucks mag ( add for a truck, could have been Kenworth. or something like that ) fitted with the new Jake Brake giving up to 600 hp of breaking efficiency. Sounds pretty good. I’ll have one thanks very much.
Like most folk on here that still driver I really don’t get much of a say as to what I’m driving. about 6 pm the night before the boss’ll phone me and tell me what I’m doing tomorrow and what truck to take. Most of the time I’m in "my own truck " but it’s been so long now I forget what it was. I like to think it as a Western Star with a 650 ■■■■■■■ in it. But in reality it could be a Fuso, Hino, Kenworth, Daf, Volvo, Scania or what ever one of the younger drivers has chickened out of driving because they’re ■■■■ scared of driving an inappropriate truck up to the top of a Tasmania mountain in the dark when it’s raining, only to find he should be up the mountain on the other side of the valley because he’s holding the map upside down.
Exhaust brakes,600 hp of breaking efficiency, not sure if they’re that good but if you get into the low box, low split, you can hold 69 ton log truck from getting away from you, and on loose gravel you can get compression lock up as well.
So I’ve got this new driver with me, he’s sitting in the passenger seat I was driving, and I was hauling out the Puzzle, 45 k’s each way from the mill to the logging coupe. But it’s about 35 k’s on gravel and steep, really steep, hour and 5 to get there empty and the best part of 2 to come back out. The guys nervous and I can see him bracing his knees against the dash in front of him and he’s looking for something to hold on to. Not much in a K1 but he’s doing a pretty good job. Up Little Poatina, It’s so steep that on the approach you have to bend your body forward to look under the sun visor so you can see up the hill, can’t use the diff lock cause it just chews the road up. And that’s just the first climb.
I look across at the new driver who’s got a bad case of white knuckles and even whiter face…We get loaded and are coming back out. First drop and I miss the split, the truck’s off so I slide it on the trailer break, crunch it back into gear and I’ve almost forgotten about the passenger ( poor guy ) 2nd gear exhaust break on #3 but it gets into a compression lock up pretty much straight away. Trailer break on again and we’re a bit side ways in a 69 ton B double looking straight out into fresh air at about 20 degrees to the road which is getting steeper.
Well I couldn’t resist " Oh ■■■■ we’re going to die " Well I though it was funny, I was only having a joke, but I heard the door click and the exhaust note got very high. So I turned my head to see the new driver’s got the door open and is about to jump out. "No, no, it’s alright mate it’s like this all the time.
By the time we got back to the wood yard the driver still hadn’t said a word. He pointed to the weigh bridge and said " just let me out here " Never to be seen again…
Engine Brakes… fitted to mainly American origin engines Cat, ■■■■■■■■ Detroit. I’m sure other folk’ll wade in here and have a full list of other engines that they’er fitted to and some will no doubt say that technically they’re not engine brakes…
Most Australian trucks that go about doing every day trucking stuff have to meet fairly restrictive length measurements and just like most other places in the world so the more load length you get the more money you’ll get. Very few trucks are on cream work so you don’t want to give away to much working weight or load space.
Engine brakes compared to retarders don’t weigh very much. The other thing is that there isn’t much free space between the rear of the gear box and the front drive axle, less than the length of an average fuel tank actually probably, talking about 3 feet on most trucks. I know that in America land they tend to have longer tractor units, The early K1 I had there had enough room to park a Mini between the back of the cab and the front of the trailer when I had the 5th wheel slider sitting fully back.
Engine brakes are an integral part of the engine usually part of the factory spec, and a retarder has to be a special order. So you don’t usually have to pay extra for it.
Engine Brakes are noisy. put it on setting #1 and there’s not much going on. about as good as an exhaust brake on an early series 1 F12
Setting #2… Fantastic ■■■■■■■ noise… if you’re into that sort of thing, even if you’re not it still makes a ■■■■■■■ noise.
Setting #3 read the above, also noisy.
I don’t think the people of the Pennines would be very happy if 1000 trucks a night went over and back using engine brakes, the noise has a reverberating bass that travels for miles…
Your not allowed to use them in built up areas at night… "Avoid using engine brakes " that’s what the signs say

There’s not many trucks fitted with retarders in Australia some of the ridged Scanias have them but the resale value is low as not many people know how to fix them if they go wrong, so buyers tend to stay clear of them. There wouldn’t be many diesel mechanics in Australia that haven’t come across a Jake/ engine brake and would know how to fix it if it went wrong… Retarders …ooooooooh ■■?

Jeff…

Interesting, and entertaining, Jelliot, just one thing that the Yanks do best and that is most states as far as I know limit the trailer length (usually 53 feet I think) as opposed to the overall lengths imposed in Europe.

This has always meant that the interests of the driver have been compromised by having to accept short sleepers and short tractors.

I have always thought that that was a better idea, after all, no operator who knows his business is going to use a tractor of ridiculous length in case he might get stranded on a tight city corner. :laughing:

Having said that I once wandered into the centre of Galway city with a max length wagon and drag and lived to tell the tale. The stall holders in a street market at the back of O’connell street in Dublin weren’t too impressed either. :unamused:

I can’t remember how steep this was, but I do remember thinking I’m glad I’m not walking up it! It was on a little back road close to the ski areas in British Columbia.

newmercman:

I can’t remember how steep this was, but I do remember thinking I’m glad I’m not walking up it! It was on a little back road close to the ski areas in British Columbia.

At least in Brit Columbia you can presumably crest the hill in a leisurely fashion, slot into bottom gear and glide down at 10kph on the secondary braking system without having to check your mirrors for suicidal Turks with their brake drums on fire! Robert

I don’t recall seeing any Turks now you mention it Robert [emoji3] [emoji3]

I’d forgotten I started this thread until this morning while I was walking by the sea. It suddenly occurred to me that one of the things I really miss about the job, is driving older, heavy lorries (with decent 'boxes) up long steep hills! It’s something you simply cannot replicate in a modern car. It’d be great to spend the weekend driving across hilly old Spain with say a 250 ■■■■■■■ and Fuller RT9509 and a fully-freighted tilt in full sail. Ahem - sorry, I really should get out more :blush: . Nurse! Robert

John West:

robert1952:

Wow!

Surely Shap? Taken about 500 yards before the ‘Leyland Motors for all Time’ clock? D reg Scammell. New style Seddon. Maybe 1971?

John.

Proves that you haven’t been over Shap Fell very often “JW” :wink: because it’s a shot of climbing the northbound side after you pass the farm on the left in the bottom. Cheers Dennis :open_mouth: :laughing:

Bewick:

John West:

robert1952:

Wow!

John.

Proves that you haven’t been over Shap Fell very often “JW” :wink: because it’s a shot of climbing the northbound side after you pass the farm on the left in the bottom. Cheers Dennis :open_mouth: :laughing:

That is just where you wouldn’t want to meet one of Alexanders coming down .

I had many white knuckle rides on Shap, An old Atki 4 wheeler pulling a Dyson trailer, The Atki was the old vacum system & the trailer braked on the back axle only There was a Neate ratchet hand brake on the passenger side, But it was noted for going over the knot if not used properly, Regards Larry.

Hey, Happyly i was empty, the deversion route with a short bend and 10/12 percent is even worse.

Eric,

The IP5 at Guarda, Portugal is worthy of a special mention.
Coming from Spain there was a first sign

Teste Travoes (?) Check Brakes
And a bit of a hill.

Another warning sign.
Another hill.

A third sign. Here we go again you think. No problem.
Around a gentle bend and you can see the curvature of the earth…

Get into a low gear ASAP and all is ok. But warm up your brakes on this one and youll be screwed on the other hills that follow this un.
F10s with an exhaust brake needed a very low gear at 40(ish) tons.

The N-121-A from Pamplona down to Irun caught me out the first time. I hadn`t gone up it, and first sight was on the descent with an old ex-rental, step frame tilt, with small wheels, and a heavy load of onions from Gallur. Had to stop on a levelish bit to cool it all down a bit.

Franglais:

And a bit of a hill.

Another warning sign.
Another hill.

Get into a low gear ASAP and all is ok. But warm up your brakes on this one and youll be screwed on the other hills that follow this un.

The N-121-A from Pamplona down to Irun caught me out the first time. I hadn`t gone up it, and first sight was on the descent with an old ex-rental, step frame tilt, with small wheels, and a heavy load of onions from Gallur. Had to stop on a levelish bit to cool it all down a bit.

You’re right about that steep hill on the Pamplona road. After it was upgraded it was, if anything, even more deceptive because the modern road lent a false sense of security. This road gets a mention in the early pages of the thread. Here’s a pic I took in the layby half way up it in Nov '05.

ERF-NGC-European:

Franglais:

And a bit of a hill.

Another warning sign.
Another hill.

You’re right about that steep hill on the Pamplona road. After it was upgraded it was, if anything, even more deceptive because the modern road lent a false sense of security. This road gets a mention in the early pages of the thread. Here’s a pic I took in the layby half way up it in Nov '05.

I think Ive a picture somewhere too. Ill look after cutting the grass, fixing the car, tidying up, weeding the flowers…
Very pretty road, if no silly sod is coming over the white lines towards you. Certainly less boring than motorways.

For those that don`t know it, it has a 700m change in about 12km.

That is a bit like two Shaps (old road) one on top of the other.

yoyo5:

Jelliot:
OK starting in the north and heading south. A list of my favorites…
Berridale Braes on the top end of the A 9
The short cut over by the Altnaman pub, it used to take a good half hour of going round by Spinning dale, but it was single track with grass growing down the center of the road, I only just managed to fit my draw bar round some of the corners. To my surprise I met one of Kinlockbervies Dafs up there one night, but later on I asked him about it and he told me he only took the 40 footer up that way.
The climb up over Glen Fiddick and Glen Annan,
The decent to Elgol harbour on Skye.
The west side of Skye.
The A 949 from Grantown on Spay to Banckory
The A 93 from Ballater through Breamar to Blairgowrie.
The Carter bar south of Jedburgh.
Most of the the south end of the A 68 including Killin pit hill on the south side of Hexham
The old road down into Stickelpath.
Telegraph hill ( short but sweet )
The drop into Honiton.
Jubilee drive.
The climb up Lawyers eastern Belguim on the way to Luxemburg, ( actually there are a few climbed and descents in that area )
Cutting through from Rimermount to Thann
in the same area from St Die to Mulhouse
The climbs from Bourg to Nantua, ( tunnel bridge section )
The drop on the Italian side of the Blonk, St Bernard, and Brenner.
Mont Cenis
Canna in southern Italy

Running north east out of Italy towards Hungary and Slovakia there were a few climbs but I wouldn’t know their names.

Robert has already mentioned most of Spain Portugal and Greece, and north Africa.

A couple more for Turkey are; Tahir still as high as it used to be but it’s now Autoyola most of the way, Kizeldag as well.
Kirikkate to Samsun, pretty wild both directions.
Getting from the UAE to Muscat is a bit vertically challenged.
There are some nasty ones round Almaty in south east Kazakhstan. hard to read the topography so they come up quick and unexpected.

The Moombie ranges near Armadale NSW.
The Blue Mountains Especially Mount Victoria, in NSW
The south end of the Putty road from Windsor to Singleton NSW.
Mount Arrowsmith Lylle highway west Tasmania.
Queenstown Lylle highway west Tasmania.
Tarralieaha, Lylle highway Tasmania.
The Sidings near Scotsdale Tasmania.
Kingston to Hounville Tasmania.
The Southern Outlet into Hobart, 1 in 9 ( the steepest main road descent into any capital city in the world )
Any climb with a road train.

In Australia we have the most stupid law, which is no use of foot brakes on descents, everything must be on gears, backed up with an engine brake. No engine brakes after dark in built up areas. If your caught with your foot on the brake its 3 points and $150.

Jeff…

Hi Jeff I cannot remember the law about no brakes on down slopes in Aussie, Although I only drove up and down Western Australia and never ventured into other states. All of my work was ■■■■■■■ with the mining and oil industry.

If I remember correctly, the no brake law was only in NSW. It all fell apart when European trucks (Scania in particular) connected the stop lights to the exhaust brake.

There are not many photos of Mont Blanc on here so I think that I should add a couple.

The Monkey House.

Passing Chamonix.

Courmayeur (I think) ?

Passing The Steelworks On The Way Down.

The Stilts.

Going Up The Stilts.