Really Daft Relative Newbie Question

Ok, here goes.

If you see a square blue (obviously not an instruction) saying “road not suitable for HGVs” what do you make of it?

Another one that confuses me is a sign that says there’s a 7.5t limit due to a bridge or something, and then goes on to say except for access.

Bugs the living daylights out of me.

Of course I need access, as its on my route. Access to the other end of that road sometimes.

Some of these lanes, you can’t pass a pushbike on, and others you can pass a tipper coming the other way, who appears to be on the limiter.

The square blue ones are right in what they say!!, it is unsuitable for HGVs, unless you personally know the road and know your truck then its up to you whether you go down there or not but you if you get stuck or you start damaging things then its your head. Sometimes you will have deliveries down there but its still “unsuitable for HGVs”

Except for access means except for a delivery or collection within the weight limit and not accessing the other end of the road because its on your route :laughing: There will be another way round.
The weight limits arnt necessarily there for a bridge, the majority of them is because residents dont want trucks using their village as a through road.

There are also length limits on roads as well.

We haven’t been HGV’s for years, we’re LGV’s. Crack on :smiley:

10-08:

Give the OP a break…he is relatively new to driving and wanted some advice!
If you read the sign he was quoting it says “HGV”

Road traffic law on signage has not yet caught up with the EU changes in licencing which is why we still have the HGV signs

Not suitable for HGVs is not a legally restricting sign but more a cautionary one

7.5 except for access means its ok to go there with a vehicle heavier than 7.5 GVW if you need access to a place within that 7.5 zone

FarnboroughBoy11:
The square blue ones are right in what they say!!, it is unsuitable for HGVs, unless you personally know the road and know your truck then its up to you whether you go down there or not but you if you get stuck or you start damaging things then its your head. Sometimes you will have deliveries down there but its still “unsuitable for HGVs”

Except for access means except for a delivery or collection within the weight limit and not accessing the other end of the road because its on your route :laughing: There will be another way round.
The weight limits arnt necessarily there for a bridge, the majority of them is because residents dont want trucks using their village as a through road.

That’s a load of tosh for a start … I have roads round where I live that have that but I don’t know what there like as I have no PRESENT need to go through them EVEN in the CAR so how the hell would I know for a HGV…

Essexboy:

10-08:

Essex Boy i think 10-08 was actually joking. :confused:

bald bloke:

Essexboy:

10-08:

:wink: x

nick2008:

FarnboroughBoy11:

That’s a load of tosh for a start … I have roads round where I live that have that but I don’t know what there like as I have no PRESENT need to go through them EVEN in the CAR so how the hell would I know for a HGV…

Go back to sleep.

PaulNowak:
Ok, here goes.

Another one that confuses me is a sign that says there’s a 7.5t limit due to a bridge or something, and then goes on to say except for access.

That means there’s nothing wrong with the road except the NIMBYS who live there don’t want nasty smelly juggernauts thundering past their houses ( unless they’re having a delivery )

10-08:

bald bloke:

Essexboy:

10-08:

:wink: x

Sorry was a bit early and didn’t read it in the correct way! :blush:

Denis F:

PaulNowak:
Ok, here goes.

That means there’s nothing wrong with the road except the NIMBYS who live there don’t want nasty smelly juggernauts thundering past their houses ( unless they’re having a delivery )

^^^^^ this!!

And the bit that’s always bugged me, when you come to a weight limit sign on a road,
how do you know where the other end of the restriction is ■■
is my delivery point inside or outside the limit. ■■

Trukkertone:
And the bit that’s always bugged me, when you come to a weight limit sign on a road,

Look at map and see if there is another reasonable way to the drop - if not then continue into limit

It would be reasonable to assume that the limit is a particular road or perhaps a residential estate or village

nick2008:

FarnboroughBoy11:

How is it a load of tosh?? If you havent been down there in your car then you don’t know the road then do you.

If you’ve been down the road in a car then you know whether or not your truck would fit.

Trukkertone:

Oh come on, if your in one town, and your delivery is 30 miles away it’s quite obvious that your delivery isn’t going to be inside the weight restriction as you are leaving the first town.
You know full well when you are blagging it and it using it as a through road.

i used to deliver to a pub which is down a lane approx 7 miles long which says unsuitable for HGV,s and carries a 7.5t limit, the other way is down a very steep hill and also carries the same signs, bugger in it?

same as Leeds a bridge near tetleys carries a 7.5t limit, however same bridge is on a major bus route and you will see at least 2 double deckers on it at the same time, ive seen 5 on it… surely this amounts to more then 7.5t and surely the damage to life if said bridge collapses is more for 2 double deckers and passengers then a fully laden truck…

10-08:

It’s ok, I know that, just tell the folk that make the signs.

My problem is that I have to rely on a satnav, if I started doing detailed plans of my routes in advance, I’d never get the chance to sleep, I do multidrop, up to 30 drops a day, full wagon, sometimes palletised, but usually handball. They can be in any part of the country, and I don’t always go from a to b to c etc

If I drive past a road that says unsuitable for HGVs, satnav will just tell me to turn around at the next roundabout.

I guess my satnav is only set up for actual physical limits, ie low bridges or specified weight limits.

I’ll just keep plodding on, but thanks for all your comments folks. At least I know I’m not on my own.

Denis F:

PaulNowak:
Ok, here goes.

Not necessarily. There is one at the end of my road, it really means “use this road at your peril”.

As posted before, several artics have had to be recovered from outside my house since they get wheelspin because the hill is too steep and the bend is too sharp. So sharp that one of them had his trailer wheels sunk in the mud with the trailer at a really nice tilt, but if he HAD managed to go any further the whole lot would have toppled 20 to 30 feet over the edge of the quarry.

It’s quite amusing witnessing all the palather getting them out of their mess.

Because it seems so many drivers can’t understand English these signs in the area are slowly being replaced by even bigger square blue signs showing with a white lorry with a red line through it… errr I wonder what that means.

cav551:
Because it seems so many drivers can’t understand English these signs in the area are slowly being replaced by even bigger square blue signs showing with a white lorry with a red line through it… errr I wonder what that means.

It means no white lorries with red lines on them :laughing: :laughing: