Realistic take home pay

I’m seeing so many mixed messages about pay and work availability, it is making me wonder if it is worth the investment to get the license?

I think £420 take home is about £550 gross? So to get that you are looking at 50 hours x £11 an hour. Yet I see people here saying they are working for £6.88 ph, so to achieve £550 gross is 80 hour a week. :neutral_face: I can’t even see the point in driving for £6.80 ph, you could get a much easier shop job, cleaning job or whatever.

In the Coventry/ West Midlands area I’m seeing plenty of jobs advertised for £10+, but most of them want experience.

eagerbeaver:
My employer in Warrington. £11.80 per hour.

That’ll be Iceland on Hardwick Grange. That rate absorbs your duty-bound weekend work.

No Monday to Friday in that game.

Driving for Iceland ■■■■■, anyway. All them little stores, with little service yards. Or worst still, for those stores, which don’t even have them; blocking a road in a village somewhere, ■■■■■■■ the motorists off, whilst you’re ■■■■■■■ the gear off with your pallet truck. Yuk!

I wouldn’t want your job lol

Necros:

Driving for Iceland ■■■■■, anyway. All them little stores, with little service yards. Or worst still, for those stores, which don’t even have them; blocking a road in a village somewhere, ■■■■■■■ the motorists off, whilst you’re ■■■■■■■ the gear off with your pallet truck. Yuk!

+1

£430 take-home here, for 45-ish hours a week, dayshifts, no weekend working and no nights out.

You wouldn’t be able to do my job sweetheart.

You don’t have what it takes.

Pimpdaddy:

Necros:

+1

■■■■■■■ hell this forums is cheerful ain’t it…

Take no notice CovGuy!

All villages have an idiot, TNUK just happens to be a large village with space for more.

Looking a little more into it seems Royal Mail pay £14-£21 an hour dependant of which shift. A 36hr week gets you £26800 basic, on top of this you’ll get allowances. Spoke to some Royal Mail drivers who do £38k+

i think it depends a lot on the employer. one of my friends got his class 2 in the summer, found it hard to get work as he’s under 25. he ended up with agency work at 10er per hour. early starts, pallet work.

got another friend who’s on 15-17 an hour, class 1 night work

Necros:
I speak the truth, nothing more, nothing less.

Don’t let yourself be misguided by the happy tucker brigade in here, which I’m NOT part of.

I know eagerbeaver will be back here, shortly and will proceed in telling you how wonderful it is to be sitting on an air-sprung seat, whilst earning his poor wage.

If I was you, I’d stick with delivering mail. You’ll get a hell of a lot more respect from the general public doing that.

Troll alarm is ringing … Massive!! total post contribution and already showing disrespect to seasoned contributors.

To the OP have a look at how many posts a negative contributor has before paying it much attention. Not saying some with thousands don’t talk ■■■■■ but its a reasonable guide.

Yeah the “stick to delivering mail, you’ll get a lot more respect from the public” was a little strange. I’m doing this to pay my bills, I don’t really care what the public think.

It’s wonderful to be sitting on an air sprung seat.

Mine is £385 basic, yes its crap but that is the going rate around here but the job itself is a doddle. I’d rather be earning peanuts doing an easy job than earning peanuts running around with my arse on fire. I average about 50 hours but I do get bonus’s which top up my pay so I actually take home between £430 and £475 depending on how many nights out etc.

All the class 2 work is about the same wage wise here, its just this is the best of the lot. I spoke to a Handtrans driver at 10am whilst waiting to be reloaded in our yard, I’d done one full load to Donny, he had done 10 drops and 3 collections and was on his way back to his yard for another run. My run was to drive to Kent for the next morning.

I love my Merc S class too. Seats are amazing.

Correct. I’ve got two.

Yes. And a yacht in Monaco. The seats on that are comfy too.

Bored of you now, really lazy and ■■■■■■■■■■ trolling effort. Plus, you don’t use question marks when appropriate.

Cheerio.

SLK’s aren’t very nice over potholes. Older ones anyway. Mines comfy over them at the moment, although I hear a knocking noise occasionally. Do cars still have ‘big ends’■■

lmao. Is that the Royal We?

You want to be concentrating on the job rather than the pay.
All you need to know at this stage is it can pay poor, it can pay average and it can pay well.
Chase the money when you get your test passed and some experience.

Royal Mail do pay well, but only for 17 ton and class 1, and where I work the main driving I’m able to pick up is 7 1/2 ton and is only worth the same as postie work. The other thing is if you’re considering staying with RM is whether there is actually any work driving for you once you take your test. I was told when I first started that they were desperate for drivers, so went ahead and did class 2 test. It has taken since May last year (and a lot of badgering and agreeing to do the 2 days change-over for no pay) to get the change-over sorted. My point being that I’m not sure how desperate for drivers they actually are.
I don’t regret doing my test or my change-over with RM, and the 1 driving job I’ve done since was one of the most enjoyable days work I’ve ever had, and can’t wait for the next drive, but it is worth looking into with your place of work how much driving you’ll actually be able to do.
Are you going to be transferring to network side of business or staying an deliveries and picking driving up as overtime? If staying on deliveries you’ll be very limited as to how much driving you’ll be allowed to pick up due to drivers hours and weekly rest periods. At the moment with how my shifts work I’m only allowed to pick up 1 shift every other weekend, that’s if there’s a shift going. Not going to get rich on this any time soon! Lol.
Your place of work may be different to mine as I work in a medium sized office rather than one of the large regional jobbies.