Real Story!

BBC 1 tonight, Real Story. The right up on free view says
Killer in the Cab! Fiona Bruce investigates the sleep disorder that turns long distance drivers into a danger on our roads.

Check this thread ma’am.

Yes sir I was just pointing out that if you want to watch it then it will be on in 10 mins. :wink:

I’ll need bloody good eyes to see it from here. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Never mind honey you are probably the lucky one. :laughing:

Just hope I don’t nod off in the middle :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rikki is sitting in front of the TV with knives, bricks and hammers at the ready… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Matty and I wil be ok, we are wearing hi-vis vests :wink:

1 in 6 drivers serveyed suffer from sleep apnea

well i dont what about you :question: no one asked me :exclamation:

jon

Watching

jonboy:

well i dont what about you :question: no one asked me :exclamation:

jon

I think I had a knock on the cab door…

But I was asleep :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I work permanent nights and I don’t have any sleep related problems either.

Typically overdramatic BBC.

It finally took them 25 mins into the programme to mention that it’s not just HGV drivers that can suffer from this condition. Why are they always kicking the lorry drivers? We do not inherit certain health conditions as soon as we gain our truck licence …

Not impressed

I am very sorry for those families shown who have lost someone due to a driver with sleep apnea

and the driver who knew he had it deserves evrything he got, the same as a drink driver.

But I didnt hear any excuse for singling out HGV drivers, why not gas fitters, or heart surgeons,

Sorry I am still convinced they only singled out truck drivers for this “expose” becuase we are already unliked/feared ny the general motoring public, and therefore an easy target,

and if the programme makers can make the vilian of the programme someone who is already disliked it is far easier to demonise them…

sorry it did nt come across as a serious documentry… just trashy cheap shot TV

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Watched it… :imp:

What a load of tosh, one mention of a car driver, the rest HGV :open_mouth:

As far as I can see, another dig at our industry, what about the percentage of accidents where car, coach and bus drivers fell asleep?

Typical BBC tripe…

John

Just watched it. Now bear in mind I was strongly against this programme but I think they’ve done a decent job.

I wonder how many of us have put feeling knackered down to 12-15 hr working days and stupidly early starts when it could’ve been this. Problem is, you don’t know what is the cause. Is it the hours or this disorder?

Its got me thinking…

Quite a fair report overall i think.

But i also totally agree with what a poster on the other thread said about which drivers they interviewed.

chances are, they only surveyed the ones who looked like they might be likely sufferers.

Yeti:
Why are they always kicking the lorry drivers?

its called selective TV program making, they`ll make a story biased towards any angle so long as they get good ratings.
no doubt the daily press will turn the story around and turn us into the scum on the road just for the sake of selling newspapers and gaining profit for the shareholders

Conor:
Just watched it. Now bear in mind I was strongly against this programme but I think they’ve done a decent job.

I wonder how many of us have put feeling knackered down to 12-15 hr working days and stupidly early starts when it could’ve been this. Problem is, you don’t know what is the cause. Is it the hours or this disorder?

Its got me thinking…

Fine conor… but why single out truck drivers…

How amany surgeons suffer from this… or gas fitters, how about the electrician who is rewiring your house the pharmicist making up your medicines, the train dirver, the airline pilot…and 1000’s of other jobs
all of these could suffer from this and make a mistake that kills you…

Why focus on Truck drivers on prime time TV, unless we are an easy target already disliked by the public…

YES I agree bring the sleep apnea problem into the spotlight, but why just focus on us?

Surely the obvious common factor is a tendency to being overweight (putting it politely). I’m 6’2", weigh 98kg (about 15.5 stone) & I’m classed as ‘clinically obese’. I fully intend to do something about it for my own, & my family’s, sake. Luckily I don’t have to drive full time & I know I get adequate rest but surely somene in this high-risk group should be targetted by ‘health professionals’ in order to reduce the possibility of these & other life-threatening conditions. (It would be interesting to do a poll on weights of truckers - anyone want to set it up?, I can’t 'cos I’m off to the gym :wink:.

my better half has sleep apnea, and now sleeps with a machine, she says that her life is alot better but if it wasnt for the doctor who sent her for tests to do with migrane she would have never found out. just for info the nhs informed the dvla and she is still allowed to drive