Real Story!

Well i thought they did quite a good job of getting a very important message across :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Who cares if it was aimed at truckers at least the illness has been brought into public view and if it makes one driver stop and think about it and get help then i think the program was 100% right to present it as they did :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

simon

i suffer from sleep apnea,that is why i came of the road,i didnt wont to take some one with me when i fell asleep at the wheel,it has nothing to do with the work we do,more to do with the weight problem.By falling asleep i dont mean deep sleep it only takes a couple of seconds of shut eye to lose controlā€¦

jonboy:
1 in 6 drivers serveyed suffer from sleep apnea

We surveyed 1,000 journalists leaving their local pub.

100% were deemed to be alcoholics as they had consumed more than the recommended units in the previous 4 hours.

Surveys read exactly what you want 'em to.

If you want to know about the effects of sleep apnea if untreated:-

Try going into hospital on xmas day finding it hard to breath.

After Being treated in A&E you are kept in for tests & observation overnight.

Boxing day & 2 of your sons are visiting with your grandchildren.

You suddenly see somthing strange at the foot of your bed & point it out to your sons but they see nothing.

What you see comes alongside you by the bed

THEN YOU DIE!

This was what happend to my dad 6 years ago.
He was a Bricklayer by trade but he was also overweight with a bull neck & snored.

Sleep apnea is a killer but not just because you can have an accident while driving.

I wont go into any great detail as to exactly what happend when he died (symptoms) but suffice to say you cant have an open coffin.

I tell this to you in the hopes that maybe just maybe it might give 1 of you the kick up the arse you need to go to the doctor and get treatment before itā€™s too late!!!

Fine conorā€¦ but why single out truck driversā€¦

Because it putā€™s bumā€™s in front of tvā€™s m8,simple.And by tomorrow morning more car driverā€™s will detest us even more.

No body suggesting that the condition should be taken seriously, but it was the how the program was pitched that we all have a problem with.
The problem has been pitched as an HGV drivers problem and has been reported as such in papers and on news bullitins to advertise the program.

kitkat:

Because it putā€™s bumā€™s in front of tvā€™s m8,simple.And by tomorrow morning more car driverā€™s will detest us even more.

Those that arenā€™t having an unscheduled kip that is.

This was a news item on the radio today, they said a survey of 900 drivers is where they got the 1 in 6 from and there are 1/2 million HGV drivers - absolutely no mention of the ā€˜1 in 6ā€™ out of 20 million + car drivers out there

Jules

Rikki-UK:

How amany surgeons suffer from thisā€¦ or gas fitters, how about the electrician who is rewiring your house the pharmicist making up your medicines, the train dirver, the airline pilotā€¦and 1000ā€™s of other jobs
all of these could suffer from this and make a mistake that kills youā€¦

Apart from people in the medical game I.E. you mention heart surgeons how many other industries are forced to work a 15 hour shift with as little as a 45 minute break?.

Boots Oā€™Lead:
[
This was a news item on the radio today, they said a survey of 900 drivers is where they got the 1 in 6 from and there are 1/2 million HGV drivers - absolutely no mention of the ā€˜1 in 6ā€™ out of 20 million + car drivers out there

Jules

And the much-vaunted 'up to 4% who suffer from this turns out to be in the population as a whole.
The point they made was good and sobering though, I just wish they wouldnā€™t slant it in such a hysterical way towards the usual target.

Salut, Savid.

jammymutt:

Rikki-UK:

How amany surgeons suffer from thisā€¦ or gas fitters, how about the electrician who is rewiring your house the pharmicist making up your medicines, the train dirver, the airline pilotā€¦and 1000ā€™s of other jobs
all of these could suffer from this and make a mistake that kills youā€¦

Apart from people in the medical game I.E. you mention heart surgeons how many other industries are forced to work a 15 hour shift with as little as a 45 minute break?.

Itā€™s got nothing to do with your working day,more to do with your time of and rest periods,lack of comfortable sleep is the problem,those that have this are prown to be over weight,most men when over weight carry the excess weight around there guts(beer belly) and around there neck,after a few years the neck muscleā€™s lose there strength (ie double chin) when asleep these muscle relax thus constricting your wind pipe,thus starving your lungs of oxygen then your brain suffers and your heart stops beating,effectavely you die many times over night this can be as much as hundred times a night,the only time you will now about this happening is when you wake up during the night complaining of indigestion or heart burn,itā€™s none of these,itā€™s your heart kick starting back into life!,for some it dont work,you never wake up.Sleep apnea is a killer,sometimes not for the person who has it,perhaps some of you are the lucky 5 in 6 who dont have it,dont condem the 1 in 6 who do,or even the 1 in a thousand who now they have it

Rikki-UK:
Why focus on Truck drivers on prime time TV, unless we are an easy target already disliked by the public.

I think you answered your own question there.