Real ale

How many real ale drinkers we got on here?
Seemed to be spoilt for choice here in yorkshire for good ale and micro brewers.
Tells us your favorite.

I love real ale, and in fact it is probably the number one thing that I miss living here in the south of France. So a rare treat when I can get it, and something I always look forward to on a visit to the UK. Favourite tipple, a pint of Wychwood Hobgoblin, mouth is salivating just thinking about it :cry:

I’m partial to a Stroud Brewery Budding on occasion. Best thing, the brewery is only 10 miles away and they sell 70l barrels or 30l boxes of the stuff. :smiley:

109LWB:
I’m partial to a Stroud Brewery Budding on occasion. Best thing, the brewery is only 10 miles away and they sell 70l barrels or 30l boxes of the stuff. :smiley:

You’re probably not far from me then. Loads of great breweries about, Stroud Organic, Cotswold Lion Golden Fleece and Gloucester Priory Pale are all really nice local beers.

I love real ale, but very rarely drink these days - as I get older my stomach seems to get more and more intolerant if anything other than bland crap, either food or drink.

I normally grit my teeth at birthdays and Christmas and go for it then!

KCLeblanc:

109LWB:

You’re probably not far from me then. Loads of great breweries about, Stroud Organic, Cotswold Lion Golden Fleece and Gloucester Priory Pale are all really nice local beers.

Not far by the sound of it. Keep meaning to try a Gloucester Brewery Ale from the Docks, but always forget when Im there. One of the Cotswold Brewery’s used to be one of my customers and Id always leave well stocked up. :smiley:

Yes. Love trying the different bottled ales from the supermarket. My favourite has to be Banana Bread Beer from Wells Brewery.

damoq:
Yes. Love trying the different bottled ales from the supermarket. My favourite has to be Banana Bread Beer from Wells Brewery.

I can’t get enough of that at the moment, I thought it was just a silly name what they sometimes get but then realised you could actually taste banana, beautiful stuff!

Desperate:

damoq:

I can’t get enough of that at the moment, I thought it was just a silly name what they sometimes get but then realised you could actually taste banana, beautiful stuff!

There was another one I tried a few years back and I’ve never seen it since. It was Rasin Beer. Can’t even remember who made it now. It was lovely, but not as good as banana beer though.

Edit: Just googled it. Was Cains who made the rasin beer.

damoq:

Damoq have you been in the drum & monkey in glasgow city centre?? the ale they sell in there is spot on,ales change all the time, a bit pricey but don’t mind when it’s good

Another plus point about real ale for me is I can have a real good session and get up in the morning feeling great,if I had a session on normal keg ale like john smiths smooth or lager I’d have a stinking hangover due to all the chemicals and crap in them.

There’s a shop opened near me in ossett wakefield that sells all the micro brewery’s bottled ale,it takes me ages to choose a few beers for a Saturday night :smiley:

yorkshire terrier:

damoq:

Damoq have you been in the drum & monkey in glasgow city centre?? the ale they sell in there is spot on,ales change all the time, a bit pricey but don’t mind when it’s good

Haven’t been in there before. Its one of those places I keep meaning to go but never get round to it. I don’t normally go into the city that often though, cos I don’t like the atmosphere when all the numpties are out and about. Been to another place in Glasgow that has its own micro brewery called the Clockwork Beer Co. Theirs is usually quite nice and not too pricey. Only discovered it after delivering to it one day.:stuck_out_tongue:

damoq:

yorkshire terrier:

damoq:

Haven’t been in there before. Its one of those places I keep meaning to go but never get round to it. I don’t normally go into the city that often though, cos I don’t like the atmosphere when all the numpties are out and about. Been to another place in Glasgow that has its own micro brewery called the Clockwork Beer Co. Theirs is usually quite nice and not too pricey. Only discovered it after delivering to it one day.:stuck_out_tongue:

Yes I went in clockwork when rangers played queens park at hampden.
Had some of there ales and it was good stuff.
The drum and monkey seems to have a good atmosphere all the time,last time I was in was a Saturday night late on and all very relaxed,I don’t think the numpties appreciate the good ale so it keeps them out :smiley:

wellsandyoungs.co.uk/home/ou … -s-special

fullers.co.uk/rte.asp?id=48

twickenham-fine-ales.co.uk/regulars

Any of those preferably ESB and cask strength Glenfiddich single malt whisky.But had a pancreatitis attack a few years ago which put a stop to all that. :frowning:

But recently found out it might have been caused by gall stones not alcohol so I’ve now got to decide wether to risk drinking again.

Milk Street brewery in Frome do a Funky Monkey.
It sells out so fast at Weatherspoons.
Bath has the Hobgoblin made with chocalate.A dark Ruby ale.
Box Steam brewery all good,Piston Broke.
Dorsets Old Thumper.
Bath Ales all good.

Héraultais:
Favourite tipple, a pint of Wychwood Hobgoblin, mouth is salivating just thinking about it :cry:

I live about 15 minutes walk/30 minutes staggering from the brewery. :sunglasses: I’ll be opening a bottle of their “King Goblin” later on (6.6%) so I will review it whilst enjoying it. :smiley:
I also like Hook Norton ales, which is about 5 minutes drive from where I park the lorry.
Christ I sound like an alcoholic now. :blush:

I have a customer in Hook Norton, keep meaning to pay the brewery a visit when I’m there.

I’m rather partial to Brewdog beers. Black libertine is fantastic. Jack hammer makes you ■■■■ your cheeks in, extremely hoppy.

Williams brothers do a lot of good ales. Often cheap in aldi!

I think it’s Wickwar Brewery who do raikway themed ales, often sold at steam railways. Station Porter, IKB (Brunel), and a couple of others I can’t remember.
Bit of beer trivia; Anyone recall an F1 driver, Piers Courage? Was heir to Courage brewery, but died in 1970 Dutch GP when his Williams hit a grass bank and blew up. Wasn’t much left after the fire went out as the car was built largely of magnesium.

The King Goblin is very nice. I’d describe it as a refined Hobgoblin. Got about half a pint left…