RDC's, and advance information

Looking for sensible feedback here to a project we may be starting in the New Year.

The concept is to get as many RDC’s, Docks etc to provide to us their information and make this available free and online to drivers before they arrive at the various locations. - they would also be available in a print freindly format so you could produce your own folder of regular destinations

Things that would be available are
maps to location
The RDC site map
The RDC health and safety rules
The RDCprocedures
The RDC emergency (Fire etc) procedures
The RDC contact numbers
The RDC drivers welfare facilities

A couple of other things I have thought should be included

Local amenities for drivers (Truckstops, Council lorry parks etc)
Local restrictions- (Local routes to the RDC covered by weight limits etc)
Arrival time restrctions- ( Will not be allowed on site more than 1 hour before booking time etc).
Specified Loading restrictions (Trailers must have internal straps , fridges a minimum of 6 locking bars etc)
On site restrictions- ( all mobile phones must be handed into gatehouse on arrival etc)

Are there any other SENSIBLE peices of information that would make this a worthwhile database for you to use?

Please use this thread to give us any further idea’s, anything considered spurious or unhelpful will be deleted from this thread

Recommended approach routes?

Trucknet RDC, company depots - etc POI’s ?

I think it would be a great idea, aslong as we dont end up with conflicting information from different drivers…maybe check with the company before putting anything on to print?

DS074:
I think it would be a great idea, aslong as we dont end up with conflicting information from different drivers…maybe check with the company before putting anything on to print?

All the info for this would come from the companies…

We are asking what YOU want them to put on the list, Information that the companies can supply to you in advance of going there that would be of help

Sorry, mis-understood.

Rikki-UK:

DS074:

All the info for this would come from the companies…

We are asking what YOU want them to put on the list, Information that the companies can supply to you in advance of going there that would be of help

Very good idea with one floor in it. No 2 Rdc’s are rrun the same and things can vary depending on shift. They do love to move the goal posts. Still a good idea, carry on.

agreed Rob,

That is why each RDC would have its own page

and the index would list the RDC by
1.the operator - e.g. Wincantons
2. the RDC client e.g. Sainsburys

so you could find the exact RDC you are delivering to, and download, print or just read the working practices and location etc of that one particular RDC

the stuff we would provide to the driver would be supplied by those running the RDC, so if the shifts wanted to change the goalposts you have in your grubby mitts the info you need to challenge that… :laughing:

hi Rikk

one good thing would be to see if the RDC’s allow overnight parking on there site
also with regard to maps of RDC’sbest way to come in from

del

at

Rikki-UK:
Looking for sensible feedback here to a project we may be starting in the New Year.

The concept is to get as many RDC’s, Docks etc to provide to us their information and make this available free and online to drivers before they arrive at the various locations. - they would also be available in a print freindly format so you could produce your own folder of regular destinations

Things that would be available are
maps to location
The RDC site map
The RDC health and safety rules
The RDCprocedures
The RDC emergency (Fire etc) procedures
The RDC contact numbers
The RDC drivers welfare facilities

A couple of other things I have thought should be included

Local amenities for drivers (Truckstops, Council lorry parks etc)
Local restrictions- (Local routes to the RDC covered by weight limits etc)
Arrival time restrctions- ( Will not be allowed on site more than 1 hour before booking time etc).
Specified Loading restrictions (Trailers must have internal straps , fridges a minimum of 6 locking bars etc)
On site restrictions- ( all mobile phones must be handed into gatehouse on arrival etc)

Are there any other SENSIBLE peices of information that would make this a worthwhile database for you to use?

Please use this thread to give us any further idea’s, anything considered spurious or unhelpful will be deleted from this thread

I turned up at Sainsburys Basingstoke at 0300 for a 0400 tip they said come back in 30 mins if i would of known that i would of stopped for a cuppa on the way down so i think it would be a great idear to tell the drivers the earliest they can turn up at D.Cs

I would like to tell drivers Tescos RDC BROOKFIELDS BYFLEET turned me away in the past because i was 15 mins early they said they did not have the room come back at your booking time and as most drivers no there is no where to park on the ind est yellow line everywhere :confused:

Telephone numbers would be useful but, TBH, most do not encourage direct contact from drivers. However, I have been in a situation of being early, and nearby, and aware that the local Motorway network was ‘screwed’ and they were glad for me to go in early.

Mobile phones. Never been an issue. But most ban their use within the actual warehouse so, common sense dictates that it stays in the vehicle unless needed.

Lock bars and internal straps are not normally an issue for vehicles delivering. Tesco Middleton require bars (and, I would presume, other restraints) to be removed by the driver. Where ‘meat hooks’ are fitted, most will either require them to be strapped forward, or require the driver to unload the trailer with a pallet truck.

Welfare facilities. Rather than asking what they provide. Ask them if they are fully compliant with INDG (whatever). Lucy knows the one. The one that stipulates that they must provide somewhere for a pregnant female to lie down. As well as access to free drinking water. Asda have a number of RDC’s where, although the water out of the machine is free, you first have to insert 20p. :unamused: Which you then can’t get refunded. So you have to buy a drink anyway. :smiling_imp: Therefore. It fails to be free. :open_mouth:

Emergency (Fire etc) procedures. I don’t have a lot of faith in them as they normally stipulate that visiting drivers go to R.V. points. This is fine until the cause of the fire is actually a fridge within a trailer. Which is what took out the old Blakes depot at Warrington. Surely, in the event of a fire, vehicles, and the fuel contained within them, should be removed as rapidly as safety allows. Which is where I have concerns regarding Tesco, Snodland, which is, effectively, built into the base of what I presume to be a former quarry. Surrounded on three sides, by steep inclines and, on the fourth, a lesser incline. Employees have an electronic exit via turnstiles. The barriers are at a height whereby they are not ‘vaultable’. In the event of a serious incident involving fire or chemicals (together with an electrical failure), there would be a need for a vehicle to ‘take out’ a barrier or a section of fencing to enable people to escape ‘en mass’.

Overnight Parking. Although a senior executive for the operating company for Magna Park had a letter published in T&D some years ago pointing out that it was a condition of their lease that operators provide overnight parking for drivers whose hours had had expired, I have been in a position to overhear staff at Asda, Lutterworth, refuse to permit a driver to remain in such circumstances.

If we are going to down that line, then perhaps we should be requesting the details of the company who have ownership of the site and confirming what is stipulated in the Contract?

Rikki. You are into my territory. :laughing:

Whilst you are at it. Ask about their attitude towards CPD. (Continuous Professional Development). I’ve heard of a tale about Iceland, Swindon (I think) where the NVQ assessor was classed as a ‘passenger’ and required to sit in the gatehouse for two hours.

If that had been me, then the ‘load’ would not have entered the site. It would have been a case of the ‘Duty Manager’ attending to explain as to why the Company did not support CPD or the load would have been ‘late’ as I’d needed to be dropped off at the nearest railway station, prior to ‘penning’ a letter to the chairman of said company to the relevant effect.

And on the subject of NVQ’s. Where a significant amount of ‘evidence’ can be in an electronic format. Ask as to their attitude to photographic or video capture of the conduct of a candidate whilst ‘on site’. :wink:

I’m sure I’ll think of more.
:wink:

While I applaud your idea, I cannot see this being a lot of use as it can all depend on the attitude of some miserable snot in the gatehouse or at the desk. Also the H&S rules are often only there for show and actually there is no health and safety provision for the driver.

It will be interesting to see how many companies tell you there are toilets and drivers facilities on site to find there isn’t even a tap hanging off the wall behind the locked door.

Sometimes the site rules are different to the rules of the site :open_mouth: :wink:

I was told to deliver into London at 6 am imperative. I left Calais at 2 am, caught the train to arrive at 5.50 local time. The gatehouse refused me entry until 8am because they had to load thier own trucks.

I argued. I cajoled and finally accepted that this twit was not going to let me in, or let me park up on site either.

Eventually at 8 am I went back in to get the biggest bollocking from my boss on the phone and from the warehouse manager face to face. They needed some of my 26 pallets to go on an early trunk.

When I insulted the gatemans stature, parentage & intelligence and suggested they give him a broom. I was banned off site indefinately after they took my load off.

Wheel Nut:
I was told to deliver into London at 6 am imperative. I left Calais at 2 am, caught the train to arrive at 5.50 local time. The gatehouse refused me entry until 8am because they had to load thier own trucks.

I argued. I cajoled and finally accepted that this twit was not going to let me in, or let me park up on site either.

Eventually at 8 am I went back in to get the biggest bollocking from my boss on the phone and from the warehouse manager face to face. They needed some of my 26 pallets to go on an early trunk.

When I insulted the gatemans stature, parentage & intelligence and suggested they give him a broom. I was banned off site indefinately after they took my load off.

Some of theses gatehouse men think there are god stuff um!!!

Moving on i for one think RDC’S should provide overnight parking for drivers running out of time. If you go to any of the tesco`s at Drift there is no parking anywhere,also you cant sit in your cab anymore more so easy acces to the canteen’s would be good ,you could park in the truck stop up the A5 which get’s quite full and after 2 hours you half to start paying parking

superdix:

Wheel Nut:

Some of theses gatehouse men think there are god stuff um!!!

Moving on i for one think RDC’S should provide overnight parking for drivers running out of time. If you go to any of the tesco`s at Drift there is no parking anywhere,also you cant sit in your cab anymore more so easy acces to the canteen’s would be good ,you could park in the truck stop up the A5 which get’s quite full and after 2 hours you half to start paying parking

I saw two spainish trucks parked up in Waitrose Brinklow Milton Keynes on tuesday They had been there all nite curtains closed RDC has 1 rule for 1and1 for another And the toilets are very BAD

i think this would be a good idea.anything tha takes the stress out of the job can’t be a bad thing…

argued. I cajoled and finally accepted that this twit was not going to let me in

Santa’s golden rule No 2:

NEVER argue with these guys beyond trying an explanation.

Just ask for their name so that you can tell your boss who it was that’s giving you grief. It’s amazing how, when asked to become personally responsible, they change their minds and make the phone call which they should have made in the first place.

If you know in advance that you might get grief then it pays to get a contacts name on site - I have done this several times at sainsbury’s Hams Hall when I am delivering without a booking reference.

great idea but it sounds like a huge project maybe simpler to collate drivers comments and then check the details with the rdc concerned.

maybe each RDC could provide the name of a contact who could intervene/ give a ruling in case of problems on site with interpretation of rules etc.

Most large organisations, Sainsburys, Tesco, asda etc provide their suppliers with a Supplier Manual which has the basic templates for RDC rules within. I know I have several folders in my office with details of RDCs that we deliver too. I think half the time the information has already been made available but either hasnt been passed on by the supplier to the haulier or hasnt been passed on from the haulier to the driver!