RBL Poppies

Struggling to find any large poppies for the front of goods vehicles. Plenty of “car” poppies for sale, but I think they’d look out of place.

Anyone have any links, etc?

Thanks

poppyscotlandstore.com/moul … poppy.html

try truckstops ?

mardybum:
Struggling to find any large poppies for the front of goods vehicles. Plenty of “car” poppies for sale, but I think they’d look out of place.

Thanks

Personally I think lorry ones are too big. I put three car ones on mine.

Do you want the English, Scottish or any other version of the poppy?
(The French have one too… le bluet Du France, which represents the cornflower of Flanders field).
The poppyshop Onlineshop is probably the best place to look and save time poppyshop.org.uk/all-products.html

Edit: I did see some for sale yesterday in the gatehouse at the Frank Wright place in Ashbourne

madmackem:

mardybum:

Thanks

Personally I think lorry ones are too big. I put three car ones on mine.

Seconded

Just got back from the Normandy Beaches - Mrs Socketset suddenly expressed a desire to visit (who knew) but this was my sixth visit over having taken friends before.

Anyway we sat in the theatre at Arromanche and watched the 30 minute film - and she completely broke down and wept uncontrollably.

The enormity of those guys bravery on that day had overwhelmed her - she had only a hazy idea of what it was all about up 'til then.

She looked at me and said “now I know what the poppies are for - guys like these”

Socketset:
Just got back from the Normandy Beaches - Mrs Socketset suddenly expressed a desire to visit (who knew) but this was my sixth visit over having taken friends before.

Anyway we sat in the theatre at Arromanche and watched the 30 minute film - and she completely broke down and wept uncontrollably.

The enormity of those guys bravery on that day had overwhelmed her - she had only a hazy idea of what it was all about up 'til then.

She looked at me and said “now I know what the poppies are for - guys like these”

Sickens me when I hear about “white poppies”. These beneficiaries of those who paid the supreme sacrifice are insulting those who died for their right to do so.

Have you seen a Silent Soldier yet?

Fingers crossed, but first time I saw one I instantly thought “I hope that takes off”.

Socketset:

I went on a coach trip for a long weekend doing the beaches and cemeteries a few months ago and we stopped there on the way back to the ferry and I quite agree about the theatre, I started welling up watching too…

Was at a quiz last night in the local golf club, a few young millennials took part,one of the questions was what was the date of D-day, they didn’t know! Apparently they know more about black American history! WTF is going on in our schools!

Dork Lard:
Have you seen a Silent Soldier yet?

Fingers crossed, but first time I saw one I instantly thought “I hope that takes off”.

I first noticed one yesterday as it happens. He is stood at the sign for the village of Easton on the hill on the A43 between Stamford and Corby. Well done the residents of Easton I say.

The local RBL branch are selling poppies today (Saturday) inc truck poppies at my local Morrisons (the one near the Stockyard) they’ve also got someone in the car park with a truck painted in poppies, soldiers etc, the truck is pulling a display trailer with various RBL / poppy paraphernalia onboard

Cobham services on M25 have them on a table just inside the entrance to the fuel station shop

Looking at the site…which is quite good btw…i dont see the need for a Manchester United poppy…wtf is that about…and i dont see a Purple one which is for the animals who also sacrificed their lives too…especially the horses…over a million was sent, not many returned.

Purple poppies are sold from a separate website:
purplepoppycampaign.org/support-us/

Everything is sold out, so someone has made a major miscalculation.

I saw the football ones as well and thought they were rather tacky and somehow missing the point.

I looked at the site specifically as I wanted an “upgrade” on the standard paper poppy. I spotted one that included a certificate of dedication to a fallen soldier. My family had no-one who even fought in either World War so I thought it might be good to get a name (and other details) to research and find out about. When my poppy arrived, the dedication was to “Able Seaman W Vise”.

I looked him up. Lots of info, but I feel rather deflated…
worldwar1luton.com/individua … lliam-vise

Discharged from the RN due to ill health in February 1915, he dies of tuberculosis in August of that year. He had evidently never seen combat and is only a fallen soldier (or sailor) on a technicality. Unlike most (if not all) RN and Army casualties he enjoys an individual grave in a normal churchyard. Yet I feel somewhat guilty in wanting to figuratively throw him back into the sea and make another catch.

Can anyone convince me that he played a part in the conflict that kept many of our allies free?

tgf1961:
Can anyone convince me that he played a part in the conflict that kept many of our allies free?

Well he enlisted and took the Queens shilling, which meant his life was on the line to be spent as the powers that be wished.
That he wasn’t healthy enough doesn’t really matter that much, he still stood up to be counted at the asking.

Lymn truckstop /popular 2000

Simon:

tgf1961:
Well he enlisted and took the Queens shilling, which meant his life was on the line to be spent as the powers that be wished.
That he wasn’t healthy enough doesn’t really matter that much, he still stood up to be counted at the asking.

This! Never denegrate someones service due to the fact they never got sent anywhere or didn’t die!

The fact that men and women have freely joined the armed forces and have at somepoint been prepared to pay the ultimate sacrifice makes them worthy. I wear my poppy not just to remember those that died, on all sides in conflict, but in support of those that still may do today.

Simon:

tgf1961:

Beautifully said.