RBL Poppies

Caernby corner BP garage selling truck poppies for a tenner. They’re on the counter

Drempels:

Socketset:
Just got back from the Normandy Beaches - Mrs Socketset suddenly expressed a desire to visit (who knew) but this was my sixth visit over having taken friends before.

Anyway we sat in the theatre at Arromanche and watched the 30 minute film - and she completely broke down and wept uncontrollably.

The enormity of those guys bravery on that day had overwhelmed her - she had only a hazy idea of what it was all about up 'til then.

She looked at me and said “now I know what the poppies are for - guys like these”

Sickens me when I hear about “white poppies”. These beneficiaries of those who paid the supreme sacrifice are insulting those who died for their right to do so.

But doesn’t that reinforce the notion that the liberties these men women and animals died to protect are free for us all to enjoy. I choose not to wear a poppy because I’m free to make that decision. I always donate to the cause by the way, I just dont take a poppy. We seem to be at a point where we’re expected to wear a poppy and not to do so is wrong. In my opinion that’s the removal of free choice. The very thing that people died for to prevent.

Nite Owl:

Drempels:

Socketset:
Just got back from the Normandy Beaches - Mrs Socketset suddenly expressed a desire to visit (who knew) but this was my sixth visit over having taken friends before.

Anyway we sat in the theatre at Arromanche and watched the 30 minute film - and she completely broke down and wept uncontrollably.

The enormity of those guys bravery on that day had overwhelmed her - she had only a hazy idea of what it was all about up 'til then.

She looked at me and said “now I know what the poppies are for - guys like these”

Sickens me when I hear about “white poppies”. These beneficiaries of those who paid the supreme sacrifice are insulting those who died for their right to do so.

But doesn’t that reinforce the notion that the liberties these men women and animals died to protect are free for us all to enjoy. I choose not to wear a poppy because I’m free to make that decision. I always donate to the cause by the way, I just dont take a poppy. We seem to be at a point where we’re expected to wear a poppy and not to do so is wrong. In my opinion that’s the removal of free choice. The very thing that people died for to prevent.

No. Nobody should feel they have to wear one, that’s exactly my point. Wear one if you like, don’t wear one if you don’t like. But leave it at that.

If you want to promote pacifism that’s great, wear a dove badge or a pansy or whatever.

There are myriad symbols in this world to choose from to make whatever point you want to.

Poppies are already in use.

Nite Owl:

Drempels:

Socketset:

Me too. My act of Remembrance is between me and those who I remember. I feel no need to display that to anyone at all.

Lucy:

Drempels:

Me too. My act of Remembrance is between me and those who I remember. I feel no need to display that to anyone at all.

Me three

Drempels:

Socketset:

Correct me if i am wrong but, do white poppies remember all victims of war whereas the red poppy only remembers soldiers? If indeed correct i respect their individual choice to wear a white poppy if it does indeed remember all victims ( which would include innocent children ). I also respect the choice to wear a red poppy or wear no poppy at all.

Live and let live is my motto :wink: