Rates

Well its been in the news lately that Richard Branson…and British Airways are passing on their increased fuel costs to their customers…others will follow…Where are the haulage companies in this…now is the time to jump on the bandwagon…or are they all ■■■■ scared…no guts as per usual…any business that has increased costs…always pass on the extra to the customer…Except the haulage industry…theyre lucky if they get £1 a mile…and its been like that for a very long time…my increases this year are as follows:
GAS
ELECTRIC
COUNCIL TAX
WATER
PHONE
INSURANCE
SKY TV
And the general cost of living…so although i cannot pass on these costs that most of us have to bear…i can seek a realistic wage in which to cover these costs and give myself and my family a decent standard of living…i think that next week when i start looking for work…theres going to be a few shocked faces at interviews when i tell them what wage i want…and what vehicle i would expect to drive…not some 10 year old wreck…we`ll have to wait and see…

So at the end of the day this industry needs a shake up…it needs some body or organisation to oversee the rates and to keep them in line. The drivers need a union run by drivers…maybe there could be one union to oversee all aspects of the industry…but definitely away from the so called bodies that are supposed to represent this industry and yet havnt lifted a finger in years…except to help themselves to a final salary pension and leave others to suffer in silence or bankruptcy…we need a body who are not afraid of the government…who are not afraid to negotiate a decent wage for all drivers…and to bring back a pride to this industry…and fight to the end for what we so rightly deserve…but i guess i`m dreaming again…

And in addition to Bobs post, how many of you get the delivery notes signed for demmurage?

In my other post about rates that we were paid 20 years ago, we also charged £25 per hour after 2 hours. I would think now that trucks probably deserve £100 per hour.

If customers had to pay for their inability to tip 26 pallets in less than 30 minutes, why should they not pay for the extra warehouse?

We do…they charge after 2 hours on a 20ft box, 3 hours on a 40/45ft-er…but the only reason we bother pushing the point is because the drivers get demurrage too. :wink:

Lucy:
We do…they charge after 2 hours on a 20ft box, 3 hours on a 40/45ft-er…but the only reason we bother pushing the point is because the drivers get demurrage too. :wink:

on boxes at freightliner they demurrage on 20’s after 11/2 and 40’s 3 hrs i think its £40 ph but some places try their hardest to get out of signing for it.

up until i left places were getting alot quicker like next at south emsall used to be good for 3 to 4 hrs but now they can a box in 1 hr :imp: :imp: :imp: i think they got the idea that instead of paying £40 ph they could 3 agency lads in for that.

Getting tough isn’t it?

If you’re paying 95p/litre at the moment and you’re only managing 7mpg, you’re spending 61p/mile on fuel :open_mouth:

Whats really REALLY winding me up at the moment is that we are staring the £5.00 gallon in the face because we’re selling 2 million barrels a week to the US so their fuel prices don’t go too far beyond $3/gallon.

So Mr Bliar, the US congress last year turned down a request for federal funding to strengthen the sea defences around New Orleans because they didn’t think there was sufficient risk. Then the environmental chaps were proven right and New Orleans, together with 30% of the US refining capacity gets wiped out by Katrina. Then for some bizarre reason you decide that those of us this side of the Atlantic should pay through the nose to artificially supress the US fuel prices. WHAT■■?

IIRC the worlds oil market is run from Rotterdam, the sudden rise in oil prices and lack of supply are to be blamed on things other than katrina, like Iraq and the middle east.

We are going to run out of oil anyway, so new methods of fueling vehicles has to be found and quickly