Rates of pay 1962

can anybody remember rates of pay 1962.

maky:
can anybody remember rates of pay 1962.

Nope but I do remember what I was earning.

I was earning 10 shillings + tips a week for doing a morning paper round and in the winter another 10 bob on a Saturday for delivering fire wood (logs) after finishing the paper round :sunglasses:

Them logs was hard work for a kid :smiling_imp:

I think the average adult wage would have been around the £15 per week mark at a guess.

Not 1962,but in 1968 the basic on a 4-wheeler in Sheffield was £11-7s-9d for a 44 hour week.
Plenty of overtime though :laughing:

Although I cannot be dogmatic about the 1962 rates of pay, I can tell you that in 1960 the RHA recommended rates for an artic was £ 11 - 1 - 6d. ( wich equates to £11-7 1/2p )for a forty two hour week. This rate was for domestic general haulage within the UK.
Night out money was down to the individual company but was I think about 7/6d ( 37 1/2p ) which rose later to 12/6d about 1963 ( 62 1/2p).
Your nett weekly wage back in 1962 would be about £14 -£15 including expenses. This may not seem much today but back then it was good money because after you had paid your rent or mortgage and your weekly shopping bill, you were left with over half of your wages. I’m sure that is more than can be said today. Happy days ? Yes they I think myself they were but it was bloody hard work as it was all handball and ropes and sheets. No sleeper cabs, no night heaters and no cab heaters. In the winter you drove in an overcoat and two pairs of socks. So instead of taking the p*ss out of us old’uns just be thankful what you have today and how easy the job has become.

Hear,hear TIR :smiley:

Not sure about driving in '62, but in 1960 I was working as a sales clerk and I remember the boss giving me my first rise from £4 10s (£4.50) to £5.
Not bad really, 11%, but I can’t remember what inflation was at the time.

I paid £50 for a BSA 250 C12 at £1 down and a quid a week for a year. Then, unable to grasp the principle of hire purchase (ie, hire it for a year and then pay a pound to buy it) I refused to part with the final quid. My Dad tore his hair out trying to convince me I wasn’t being ripped off but finally persuaded me after first persuading the hire company to forget about the outstanding interest charges. :open_mouth: :laughing:

In 1961 I was on bulk grain and earning £8 basic +o/t +6 old pence per ton bonus.Subsistance was18 shillings a night. And I was paying 6 pounds a week mortgage

It were still 18 bob night out money in 1968 for me Charlie - tight buggers in Sheffield :frowning:

Tight buggers on the south coast as well. 1968 was a little better Chris. It had gone up to 25 bob. Not bad when you could get bed breakfast and evening meal for 12/6. You nippers work that out for yourselves.

These are the Liverpool rates, 1974- 1984, maybe a bit later for your question but the ones my shop steward used for our negotiations.
As a Tankerman we were on quite a bit more.

I was an engineer in 1961 and we had a flat rate off £12.10s.00. I had just finished national service on £3.0.0 a week .

Tankerman. Ruskle.

charlie one:
Tight buggers on the south coast as well. 1968 was a little better Chris. It had gone up to 25 bob. Not bad when you could get bed breakfast and evening meal for 12/6. You nippers work that out for yourselves.

:laughing: :laughing: . I like that Charlie.By the way,is the Juniper Berry pub still going in S’oton? I used to stay in some digs near there — Cliff summat,can’t remember exactly.Then in the mid/late 70’s I stayed in Millbrook?? near Freightliner and Calor Transport’s depots at the side of the main road going out towards Totton I think.

That Juniper Berry… :open_mouth:

Not sure about Soton any more Chris.I never lived in the area.Only worked for a few Soton companies.We Pompey boys were never very welcome.Used to keep a low profile.Went in the Juniper Berry a few times.Good laugh.Also I’ve been retired five years now so am a little out of touch.TIR Original will be able to tell you more.I have heard that he spent a lot of time in the J/B.

TIR yes £14 aweek was not bad but have you forgotten you had to work equivalent of two weeks to earn it

Well Chris, the Juniper Berry. That must be one of the most well known pubs in the world. I have met people from all over and when you mention Southampton they always bring up the Juniper Berry. Although as a kid I spent a couple of years in the Merchant Navy, I never ventured in the place. Even later in life I only went in there on about two occasions and it was full of queers, pros and comic singers. Long gone now though I believe theres a block of flats on the site now. You mentioned Cliffs dig’s and I remember them because when I was on for Yardley of Leeds, the trunk drivers used to stay there.
Maky, as you said £14 was good money back then but you did have to work for it. Yes I agree fully but there wasn’t any whinging and whining we just got on with it. Our attitude to each other back then was a lot different than you get today and there was always someone there to show you a beter way to do it .
There is no short cut to experience and if you could bottle it then blokes like us would be millionaires !

Well said TIR Original.Couldn’t have put it better myself.This posting about having to do two weeks work for one weeks pay I find a little puzzling I can never remember having to do that.If I wasn’t in the digs by 5.30 Washed shaved changed and having my tea there was something badly wrong.

Yes agree with you whole heartedly Charlie. But then maybe the cloth cap brigade did not have the same sort of guvner’s as we had in the south. I’m sure from what I remember when I spoke to them that the wages were not quite the same as we expected. And as you said, bed taken, washed and shaved and down the boozer for opening.

TIR Original:
…the cloth cap brigade…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

PMSL…that could get a reaction!! :laughing:

bullitt:

TIR Original:
…the cloth cap brigade…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

PMSL…that could get a reaction!! :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: .
Nay lad,I had to bath t’kids and tek me ferret fer a walk before I could go t’pub.Your lot from darn sarf were lucky.
Never had a cloth cap in me life and me top coat were allus on t’engine cover keeping me BOCM sack company.

Tried eel and mash once. :open_mouth:

I’m not getting into any conflict over this North/South divide.We are all sprung from Adam and Eve except the Jocks.The Paddys and theTaffys. There is not a shred of predudice in my body.Oh and the Poofs

No problem with ‘poofs’ according to the auto censor Charlie so no need for your disguise. :wink: :laughing: :laughing:
BTW, on a pedantic note, should it not be ‘pooves’? :unamused: D.

charlie one:
I’m not getting into any conflict over this North/South divide.We are all sprung from Adam and Eve except the Jocks.The Paddys and theTaffys. There is not a shred of predudice in my body.Oh and the P.oofs

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: