Rates of pay 1962

Sorry for the comment Chris, it was only meant in a joke. As you know there was no such thing as a north / south divide with the older generation, as we all did the same job and enjoyed each others company wherever we were. Also we found it no trouble to help each other out and didn’t find any pleasure in others misfortunes. Today its every man for himself and dog eat dog. I reckon we must have had the good days what say you ?

TIR Original:
Sorry for the comment Chris, it was only meant in a joke. As you know there was no such thing as a north / south divide with the older generation, as we all did the same job and enjoyed each others company wherever we were. Also we found it no trouble to help each other out and didn’t find any pleasure in others misfortunes. Today its every man for himself and dog eat dog. I reckon we must have had the good days what say you ?

No need to apologize TIR,in fact life would be dull without a bit of friendly north v south banter. :laughing: I am used to it as our main depot was in Barking and had some good laughs about " ap Norff".
There was plenty of rivalry between Sheffield and Rotherham as well.I don’t know whether you know Maltby near Rotherham but I worked there for 27 years and,being from Sheffield was affectionally known as a “dee-dah”–it’s all to do with the Sheffield dialect. I used to counter this attack :smiley: by calling M altbyites “pit moggies” as the area was littered with pits in them days.
Of course the locals always had an answer for you and it was “SUPER pit moggies,Webby” as Maltby pit was one of the few to be kept open.
You’re right about the good old days,I wouldn’t have missed driving in the 60’s to 80’s for the world 'cos you had so much independence (some gaffers would say too much :laughing: ),but I wouldn’t have it now - even if you only believe half of the stuff on the young 'un’s forum the job seems to have got worse,only the tackle has got better and the money nowt sparkling as far as I can see.These so-called “blue chip” companies seem to be the worst to work for,certainly Wincanton were nothing to write home about as far as Maltby depot was concerned.Some general hauliers in the area were paying better rates but at least there was a sick pay scheme and a fairly decent pension scheme and the tackle was well maintained.
All in all I’ve enjoyed my road transport career,I suppose the only fault I had was being a shunter for 20 years. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

By the way TIR have you seen my post about Summerfields and the digs I stayed in on the Southampton Hauliers thread?

Naw then Chris. Was there a firm in Maltby called Maltby Engineering? When reading your posting about Maltby Something started to turn the cogs over in my memory.Back in the early 60s I drove a low lowder for an earthmoving contractor called ■■■■ Hampton. We used to call in there for item or other.Perhaps you can put me out of my misery.

charlie one:
Naw then Chris. Was there a firm in Maltby called Maltby Engineering? When reading your posting about Maltby Something started to turn the cogs over in my memory.Back in the early 60s I drove a low lowder for an earthmoving contractor called ■■■■ Hampton. We used to call in there for item or other.Perhaps you can put me out of my misery.

Maltby Engineering was a small firm near where I worked Charlie and did repairs on plant etc.It expanded and in 1977 moved to Denaby near Doncaster just before I started at GGD.I believe it’s a big concern now.
I remember ■■■■ Hampton,they were quite prominent in the South Yorks area.

Chris was it the ■■■■ or the Hamptoh that was prominent? They did a hell of a lot of muck shifting on the M1 contracts.Thanks for the info.

charlie one:
Chris was it the ■■■■ or the Hamptoh that was prominent? They did a hell of a lot of muck shifting on the M1 contracts.Thanks for the info.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Aye,an unfortunate name ■■■■ Hampton.