ratchet straps

hello all, so tell me how do you store your ratchets and straps im sick to the back teeth rolling and sorting them out only to get to the next drop and they are all over the place again.

cheers chris

It always annoys me when I open the locker and find them in a jumble. I separate the two parts and coil the strap with the hook on the inside. The ratchet doubles over. A squirt of spray on grease on the moving parts helps a lot too.

:unamused:

…and if you get fed up of constantly winding them up by hand (as they drag thru’ a puddle :unamused: ) you can make or buy a tool that slots into the end of a spray arch support tube.

Or follow your local postman and pick up all those red elastic bands and use a couple of them on each strap

Get an empty box and fill it!

I take them apart … roll the strap, starting from the loose end … so that you finish with the hook facing into the rolled up strap … then when you come to use it … hold the hook, and throw the strap up over the load ( a la roping a load - showing my age :laughing: ) … it means you have to roll the strap facing inwards - if that makes sense :question: I used to put a dab of paint on the inside of the strap, so i new which way to start - without having to straighten the strap out.
Just fold the ratchet over … spray regularly with WD 40 type.
I’m assuming you have your “own” straps that you carry all the time ? Stow in your locker tidily / in the trl box :laughing: (who has one of those ? ) or in a plastic veg tray on the catwalk … don’t let Chep see you using theirs :sunglasses: … never done this myself … too easy for some-one to PINCH :exclamation:

What’s a ratchet strap :question:

A rachet strap is a generic name for a load securing nylon strap and metal rachet assembly - originally developed for the Royal Engineers to secure Medium Girder Bridge sections on a transportable frame work during helebourne and vehicle transport

• these days used by almost everyone and normally called a ‘span-set’ after the company that developed the original military application
    oh yes and its used by drivers to secure loads to stop them moving during transit
    regards
    Steve

gm:
A rachet strap is a generic name for a load securing nylon strap and metal rachet assembly - originally developed for the Royal Engineers to secure Medium Girder Bridge sections on a transportable frame work during helebourne and vehicle transport

• these days used by almost everyone and normally called a ‘span-set’ after the company that developed the original military application
    oh yes and its used by drivers to secure loads to stop them moving during transit
    regards
    Steve

Descriptor :stuck_out_tongue:

Excellent explanation Steve, but is it possibly the questioner was being a tad facetious? Did you look at his(her?) user name?

I find it easier to seperate the 2 parts,then roll up the strap with the hook in the middle,lot easier to store away as the hooks don’t get caught up.

Did someone call…? :smiley:

Two veg trays, one for the tensioners and one for the rolled up straps. Hooks in the middle when rolled up and carry enough to fill the tray that way they won’t come loose. Always store on their end and never flat. As said lightly lubricate the ratchet with WD40 and try to not get any on the handle.

Makes them easier to chuck with the hooks in the middle and when it’s windy.

Happy strapping!

Rat

Will:
I find it easier to seperate the 2 parts,then roll up the strap with the hook in the middle,lot easier to store away as the hooks don’t get caught up.

That is the way I do it. I was week-ended away somewhere with Transalliance and decided to have a tidy up, I counted and rerolled 35 ratchets and straps all stored in one MAN TGA sidelocker. I even found my spare number plate and a few spanners :stuck_out_tongue:

Will:

Ok :laughing: so i’m the odd one that rolls my ratchet straps the opposite way to every-one else … nowt like being different :unamused: :laughing: .
Yes i know the hooks sometimes get caught on each other … but if you keep 'em tidy, it’s not too bad.
Can never believe the number of straps you see every day on the road … i think in 30 years i have lost ONE strap throught the end coming adrift and going under the wheel - getting ripped out :blush: I always double the loose back on itself … then tuck in behind the strap against the trl … then ratchet tight … simples :sunglasses:

I can highly recommend the winding tool - it saves loads of time.

The Rustler:

Will:

Ok :laughing: so i’m the odd one that rolls my ratchet straps the opposite way to every-one else … nowt like being different :unamused: :laughing: .
Yes i know the hooks sometimes get caught on each other … but if you keep 'em tidy, it’s not too bad.
Can never believe the number of straps you see every day on the road … i think in 30 years i have lost ONE strap throught the end coming adrift and going under the wheel - getting ripped out :blush: I always double the loose back on itself … then tuck in behind the strap against the trl … then ratchet tight … simples :sunglasses:

I find your way the better Rustler, hook on the outside i know the hook on the inside gives it a bit more weight when throwing over something that is high, but if you pick the strap up with hook on the inside and the hook falls out the strap ends up a mess, also if that hook goes over first and someone walking past your trailer on other side may hit them, it has happened quite a few times over the years. anyway thats just my preference hook on the outside, you get your straps rolled tighter aswell.
regards

mark

I ALWAYS roll the straps with the hook to the outside for just the above reason - I once saw someone hit on the head by a hook and it nearly killed him (no joke!) and since then I would NEVER throw the hook over a load. I also try to keep the ratchets to the nearside of the load and away from the traffic if they need to be checked whilst n transit.

If you roll them with hook out, Store them upright with hook lying on the top of the roll and they dont get to tangled up :smiley:

chris mc:
hello all, so tell me how do you store your ratchets and straps im sick to the back teeth rolling and sorting them out only to get to the next drop and they are all over the place again.

cheers chris

Ooops sorry i thought this thread was going to be about all the ratchet straps dropping off into the carriageway causing mayhem :blush:

highways.gov.uk/news/pressre … eid=164475

highways.gov.uk/news/pressre … eid=413546

Oh well :neutral_face: :grimacing:

Hook on the outside, as above, in case it whacks someone on 't head.
Also if you throw it badly and need to wind it up and throw it again, the end with no hook wont get caught in the load, as it sometimes does if you throw the hook end first.
I stand my spansets up in the locker. White grease on the ratchet handles keeps 'em nice and easy working.