ratchet straps

hi i have hooks in the middle i always shout when throwing over the load and use zip ties to keep them rolled tight
regards gazzap

i always roll mine up with the hooks on the outside. i once saw a bloke throw his strap over his load of timber and get caught on the phone line… :open_mouth:

Dead right timmo. It also does less damage if it hits some poor innocent bystander!

I should have put in my last post, yes, stand the rolls up in a side box, then pack the ratchet handles around them. That way they won’t move or get tangled up.

ETA: oops wrong person. :blush:

zebadee:
I ALWAYS roll the straps with the hook to the outside for just the above reason - I once saw someone hit on the head by a hook and it nearly killed him (no joke!) and since then I would NEVER throw the hook over a load. I also try to keep the ratchets to the nearside of the load and away from the traffic if they need to be checked whilst n transit.

If you roll them with hook out, Store them upright with hook lying on the top of the roll and they dont get to tangled up :smiley:

This is exactly what i do.

gm:
A rachet strap is a generic name for a load securing nylon strap and metal rachet assembly - originally developed for the Royal Engineers to secure Medium Girder Bridge sections on a transportable frame work during helebourne and vehicle transport

• these days used by almost everyone and normally called a ‘span-set’ after the company that developed the original military application
    oh yes and its used by drivers to secure loads to stop them moving during transit
    regards
    Steve

Driving containers i’ve never seen one :exclamation:
Ropes :question:
Sack Barrows :question:

C_O,

How do you stop your mallets rolling around and getting ■■■■■■■… :laughing:

Rat :grimacing:

Kind of off the stowage of ratchet straps but still related- Lots of people use WD40 day in day out in an attempt to prevent bits of kit siezing up with rust. WD40 is a freeing agent and not strictly a lubricant, in fact it washes out any grease/lube oil from moving parts. 3in1 oil or spray grease is better than WD40 for the ratchets unless they are already seized. Using the correct oil or grease will coat the metal with a film that prevents oxygen/water/salt/debris rusting up the components. WD is good for a short fix but won’t keep metal lubed up as long as 3in1 or grease.

Currently to date…

x1 tractor windscreen SMASHED!! (Wasn’t me this time :wink: )

x2 marker lights SMASHED!! (I only did one of these :blush: :blush: )

and x1 drivers side window SMASHED!! (NOT ME! :laughing: )

All because the hook was on the inside of the roll when thrown :imp:

If you’re able to, park side on to the wind, and throw the strap with the wind :slight_smile:

As said before, WD40 is a quick fix/freer upper. It washes/wears off quickly in the weather etc. I use oil and/or white grease.

And finally, ANY signs of wear/fraying/tearing, replace them, regardless!! Don’t matter what boss says about cost of them :imp:

Drivers responsibility and all that when you leave the depot. I think it’s one of the things that interest plod etc in an accident…

GF

Goldfinger:
Currently to date…

x1 tractor windscreen SMASHED!! (Wasn’t me this time :wink: )

x2 marker lights SMASHED!! (I only did one of these :blush: :blush: )

and x1 drivers side window SMASHED!! (NOT ME! :laughing: )

All because the hook was on the inside of the roll when thrown :imp:

If you’re able to, park side on to the wind, and throw the strap with the wind :slight_smile:

As said before, WD40 is a quick fix/freer upper. It washes/wears off quickly in the weather etc. I use oil and/or white grease.

And finally, ANY signs of wear/fraying/tearing, replace them, regardless!! Don’t matter what boss says about cost of them :imp:

Drivers responsibility and all that when you leave the depot. I think it’s one of the things that interest plod etc in an accident…

GF

if i see you or your mate playing darts in the pub, i think i may leave sharpish!