Rail Freight Hub - Good or Bad News?

According to the BBC news website a rail freight hub has been approved in the East Midlands which can handle the equivalent of up to 1,800 lorries a day.

My initial thought is that this will be good for the regions truck drivers because all that freight will have to go somewhere however it could have a negative impact further afield on those currently supplying to the region.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-le … e-35301865

There is also a Hub in Radlett in sight. Its also the Talk that Royal Mail Rail Hub ( PRDC ) comes to Radlett.

Immigrant:
There is also a Hub in Radlett in sight. Its also the Talk that Royal Mail Rail Hub ( PRDC ) comes to Radlett.

Thank you please.

Due to the volumes of traffic on our roads now and in the future railfrieght must be seen as the way ahead.

this is good news .

every box still needs a lorry to deliver it , just drivers dont have the hassle of A14 .

there is very limited capacity for extra freight trains tho . they have to work around the scheduled passenger services .

and what if box going to wellinboro or somewhere ? they going to take it by road from felixstowe , or train to east mids and then back out on road . its anybodies guess but doesnt stop truck journeys , just makes em bit shorter .

taunton cider built a freight yard years ago . never used much it because trains were always trapped in sidings .

as for royal mail , they built 1 at bristol parkway . boarded up now .

The railways cannot cope with the passenger traffic they have, the railhead they built at Donnington (Telford) has more or less stood unused since opened

As usual, its the suits doing the yapping, and everybody in authority believes their ■■■■■■■■…

7000 direct jobs ■■?..Prove it, can`t see that myself…

16 trains a day ■■?..complete pie in the sky crap…

Hams Hall doesn’t get 16 trains a day, and they have been at it for years, the network is full, where is the extra capacity coming from ?

There is another Rail Head going to be built @ Northampton pretty soon, just as the global economy slow down starts, with China at the head of the queue :unamused:

Immigrant:

The road hub is but the rail hub will remain at Park Royal

pete smith:
The railways cannot cope with the passenger traffic they have, the railhead they built at Donnington (Telford) has more or less stood unused since opened

I load out of the MOD opposite most weeks for the past few years - I can’t recall ever seeing anyone in there.

kjw21:

pete smith:

I load out of the MOD opposite most weeks for the past few years - I can’t recall ever seeing anyone in there.

I think it has been used once or twice since opening in 2009 or 2010!

Its a bit of a damp squib then. :laughing:

By the time they get it built they’ll probably be 10 x the freight on the roads so any effect on driver numbers would be much less significant.

As soon as carry fast sees this we will have a 10 page essay it is a conspiracy by everyone from Edward heath To the prime minister of China to stop UK hauliers running Australian style road trains on red diesel.

In California on the rail Track the Route 66 along.
There is one Train going after the other. (Single Track mainly). But only Container. And the Road is full with Trucks.
Now look to Europe. There is one Freight Train hunting the other between Germany/Netherland and Italy. That brings rather more Lorries on the Road
The only a Rail Hub is good to have a overflow Container Depot outside the Port.

Immigrant:
In California on the rail Track the Route 66 along.
There is one Train going after the other. (Single Track mainly). But only Container. And the Road is full with Trucks.
Now look to Europe. There is one Freight Train hunting the other between Germany/Netherland and Italy. That brings rather more Lorries on the Road
The only a Rail Hub is good to have a overflow Container Depot outside the Port.

There also double stacked, and heading coast to coast.

Gb is too small for it to be beneficial time wise, and it costs so much each end that theres no benefits costs wise.

Walter are the main user in europe, RoLa isnt amazing. Lets just wait and see what happens when the brenner basis is finished. As its the austrians aim to get everyone of the a12/a13 and onto the train.

Our yard has a railway in it, where trains used to take the built Hondas for export but no longer used, yet we still go to Southampton to collect boxes - a train once or twice day would save money…
It’s still connected to the GWML…

Bring back the canals its about the only option that hasent been tried
loads of employment as well digging out cuttings by hand and blasting tunnels. one contaner per narrow boat pulled by the recently unemployed the resugence of riverside inns and watering holes
full emplyment for all…!!! ( not entirly serious )

Notimetoulouse:
Bring back the canals its about the only option that hasent been tried
loads of employment as well digging out cuttings by hand and blasting tunnels. one contaner per narrow boat pulled by the recently unemployed the resugence of riverside inns and watering holes
full emplyment for all…!!! ( not entirly serious )

Harry Monk is already set up then!!

Isn’t there already one in the East Midlands at DIRFT?

They should look at dropping one in by that big new truck park you may be getting down by Stanford on the M20, direct access to the rail line for London and Europe

Immigrant:

Mate of mine lives near this proposed site at Radlett,he’s hoping to get some shunting work there should it come off.He did say the locals aren’t happy about it being built and protest about it all the time.