Radio stations while in France

Re. the thread elsewhere about radio stations. Can anybody recommend English speaking or French radio channels in France?

In most of northen France you can get Talksport and Radio 4.

On most of the Autoroutes you can get Radio Autoroute on 107.7FM it broadcasts traffic reports every 15mins in frog and english.

If you are going south you can get Rivera Radio this is all in English and not a bad station can’t remember the frequency though. You should pick this up just below Aix en Provence across to Ventemillia.

There is another news only station that you can pick up in the Monaco area but it’s crap.

You can pick up Five Live in northern France when the sun’s not over the horizon. Signal disappears after that.
Also there used to be an English speaking station in Geneva which you could pick up on the French side, but this was aimed at expat bankers so was wall to wall Phil Collins interspersed with my-haven’t-we-done-well-and-let’s-shoot-all-the-poor type banter.
Contact FM up in the Lille area used to be good for banging tunes of the sort that a man of my age should not be listening to :sunglasses:

Radio 4 LW in the northern half and sometimes more than that.
World Service at night every where (MW)
Sometimes Radio 2 if you’re up in the Nord Pas de Calais region.
Otherwise just press the search button for French FM stations. I have my favourites but each to his own.
Culture - mainly talk in French, useful to practice your skills.
Musique - Classical.
Nostalgie - it does what it says on the tin.
etc…

can ya still pick up radio team fm in northern france im sure its a dutch station but it plays english and american music rock/pop

Thanks for that, y’all. We’ve just arrived at our destination in the South West and Spardo is pretty much spot on.
After brain ache set in we listened to cd books or the i.pod. One thing about putting the pod through the radio by wireless is that you have to keep changing channels every few miles. Very frustrating and difficult while driving.

France Bleu various frequencies thru France
plus usual classique nostalgie or NRJ for radio 1 type stuff

hitch:
plus usual classique nostalgie or NRJ for radio 1 type stuff

Pronounced ‘enairgee’ (energy - geddid?) if you hear it before seeing it. :wink: And yes, a good station, as is France Bleu. I like the latter because it has local content as well as music, only trouble is that although I live in the Périgord, FB Limousin has a stronger signal and I have to travel a few miles south before it changes without me searching.

you used to be able to captial radio in london late at nite i have been listening to it as far down as lyon

i find listenin to radio in france is a pain as every 5 min the fequency’s seem to change but the radio dosent
however it’s normally NRG i try to find failin that i just keep hittin the seek button till something takes my fancy

I listen to all the BBC radio,as well as tv,stations when in France,and just about anywhere else.

Mind you,that’s only when I’m parked up and got the satellite dish pointing in the right direction :wink: :wink: :wink:

RTL2 plus NRG . but yes get the cd,s out. NL Arrow clasic rock [no 1 ] b DonnaB /F Classic 21 [no 2 ] IT 1025 or radio dj. Arrow on am in the uk if you like the old rock .tune in

Rotterdam late 70,s dock strike uk.

KW:
I listen to all the BBC radio,as well as tv,stations when in France,and just about anywhere else.

Mind you,that’s only when I’m parked up and got the satellite dish pointing in the right direction :wink: :wink: :wink:

I used to be able to pick up all BBC radio stations plus Sky News with my analogue German satellite dish on the Astra 4 satellite, until the Brit signal went digital several years ago.

I’d be interested to know what kit you are using, Keith.

Inselaffe:

KW:

I used to be able to pick up all BBC radio stations plus Sky News with my analogue German satellite dish on the Astra 4 satellite, until the Brit signal went digital several years ago.

I’d be interested to know what kit you are using, Keith.

I just use one of those basic all in one sets that come in a case,you just need to use a digital receiver now.
I have around 25 tv stations in my favourites list,including all BBC and ITV channels,Film 4,Movies for Men (not ■■■■),Men & Motors etc.

In my radio favourites list I have dozens of stations,including all BBC,from Radio 1 to BBC7,Capital Gold,Virgin etc.
I think it’s the Astra 2 satellite you have to tune in to.

When I park up,I always make sure I’m facing the right way for a signal,then it takes less than five minutes to set it up.

The thing with a digital signal is it’s a perfect picture,you either get 100% or nothing at all.

Cheers, Keith.

I was under the impression that you would have to run through a Sky DigiBox, but after your reply I did a bit of a web search and found this not to be the case.

Good to know for future reference :wink:

Inselaffe:
Cheers, Keith.

I was under the impression that you would have to run through a Sky DigiBox, but after your reply I did a bit of a web search and found this not to be the case.

Good to know for future reference :wink:

A basic digital sat receiver can be found for under £50.

If you are ever going past a Media Markt store in Germany,Holland or Belgium,they have the full kit,in a carry case,for around €100,much cheaper than some of the truck stores in the UK.

If you have a laptop with you, one of those Win-TV USB plug in dongles can pick up a lot of digital stations. You need the one with the extension aerial.
Two of the drivers I work with have this and say it’s very good. They can get well over 100 stations, including radio stations on Freeview.

I’m not a tv watcher, so I’ve never bothered.

I tend to listen to Nostalgie and 107.7 coming up from Swiss

Although from the top of the N83 to Saverne i can get Talksport so i listen to that, then again from Namur to Calais i can get Talksport.

As others have said, just hit the scan button, there are shed loads of stations, you will find something you like!

Simon:
If you have a laptop with you, one of those Win-TV USB plug in dongles can pick up a lot of digital stations. You need the one with the extension aerial.
Two of the drivers I work with have this and say it’s very good. They can get well over 100 stations, including radio stations on Freeview.

I’m not a tv watcher, so I’ve never bothered.

Just got me thinking.

Has anybody tried using a laptop hooked up to the internet to listen to online radio whilst driving?

What is the reception like? Does the connection dip in and out depending on location, etc?

Inselaffe:
Has anybody tried using a laptop hooked up to the internet to listen to online radio whilst driving?

What is the reception like? Does the connection dip in and out depending on location, etc?

You would have to use your mobile as a modem to do that wouldn’t you? Which must make it a rather expensive way to listen to the radio.
Using wi-fi wouldn’t work because of the availability (or rather lack) of hot-spots.

I’ve got one of those MP3 player transmitter gadgets. It plugs into a usb port for power and the earphone socket for input, you then set the frequency you want to transmit on and tune your radio into that frequency (after checking there isn’t a radio station on that frequency).
It’s great for getting reasonable sound quality and volume when you’re watching DVDs or whatever