Radio stations while in France

Simon:
You would have to use your mobile as a modem to do that wouldn’t you? Which must make it a rather expensive way to listen to the radio.

You can now get mobile broadband dongles to connect to the web from a laptop, thereby removing the need to use a mobile as a modem.

At the moment, T-Mobile, 3 and Vodafone are offering this. Prices will probably start to fall when more providers get on board.

More info HERE

At the moment the cost for using the internet dongle/modem in europe is quite expensive. I have the 3 one and i have to say it works well when you can get a signal, which is most places but not verywhere, bit like there phones. However 3 also have tie ups with some sister countries where it costs nothing just comes out of your allowance, but at the moment they are few and far between italy and austria are two good ones in europe.
New station in france called virgin seems to play mostly british/american pop.

Now that’s interesting. Is it countrywide and on what frequency?
Last summer I heard an English speaking channel in the Dordogne area. Anyone have any info on this phenomena?

Virgin isn’t an english speaking station. Well not in france . Country wide yes on a range of frequency’s.

jayseabea:
Now that’s interesting. Is it countrywide and on what frequency?
Last summer I heard an English speaking channel in the Dordogne area. Anyone have any info on this phenomena?

I read somewhere that one of the French stations has an English DJ/Presenter for an hour or so a week but I’ve never heard it or any clue as to the hours.

i read somewhere that french radio must play at least 80% of its music in french so unless thats an another urban myth in MHO french radio aint worth listening to

malcolmj:
i read somewhere that french radio must play at least 80% of its music in french so unless thats an another urban myth in MHO french radio aint worth listening to

It’s partly true.

I believe they have to play 33% of their music in French, not 80%. I understand it’s part of the broadcast licence agreement for any station in France

You get a fair bit of French language music on 107.7. Some of it is French covers of English language rock and pop, some is original French stuff. As I only have it on as background music and for the information, I barely notice the difference.
I try to translate the traffic reports, from French to English, before they do it for me (practice :open_mouth: ), but they do the announcements so quickly it’s difficult.

malcolmj:

I am not sure this is true atall because if you tune into music box in the paris area, it’s all country and western. And there aint much french country music. Dont think it would sound right some how.