R500?

The R500 would seem to be the most popular V8 Scania with buyers. Is a 500 only a re map of the ecu away from being a 560 or 620?, is it the same engine,intercooler,injectors and radiator?. And is it that much better than a R480?

i’v a mate who has the 480 and the 500 in his firm and he says the drivers say here aint much diffrence between them

Well no…20 BHP to be precise!!

Well yeah but theres 20bhp between a R580&R560 but the same torque and id bet stripped of the badges youd be hard pressed to tell the differance, but there would have been 20bhp between a 113 380 and a 143 400 and a whole world of a differance. So yeah the horsepower gap is 20bhp but is the V8 a whole lot meatier or just a ■■■ paper ahead?

Well if ya wanna be like that…The 144 V8 and 164 V8 is only 50 BHP between them, but one is 16 ltrs and the other 14 ltrs, Ive had both and the 480 was miles better than the 530, more torque!

So was your 164 480 a lot ahead of a 124 470 as that would only be a 10bhp gap and on paper difficult to justify the extra expense when buying

Yeah, 480 is a 16 litre V8
The 124/470 is a six pot turbo compound, only 12 litre
Its all about torque too.

Or talk!

The r500 has 250nm more of torque than the 6 cylinder-unless you buy the new xpi r480.These are very expensive,and complex. Bound to be some teething problem’s.

Right so off the spec sheet and in the real world theres no substitute for cubes and the V8s the winner all day long. So what about the engine then, is the 500 just a downrated 560 requiring a little re mapping of are the componants differant?.

Different turbo’s and software i think.

the 560 is a turbo-compound engine, whereas the 500 has just one regular turbo. they are quite different designs.

I see, so is a older R580 or the R620 turbo compound as well?

Also i know its an older engine but was the 144 460 a mechanical fuel pump (like 143 450) and 144 530 EDC (like 143 500)?

When you say turbo compound, do you mean a vari vane turbo?

turbo compound i think is scanias way of sayning twin turbo but i could be wrong

milodon:
the 560 is a turbo-compound engine, whereas the 500 has just one regular turbo. they are quite different designs.

As i said the block and head are the same.

on www.wowtutning.co.uk they CLAIM an extra 90bhp on the R620 and an extra 332 poundfoot of torque!! 710bhp for pullong 44tonne = happydays :smiley:

on the R500 upto 580bhp is achievable and an extra 295torques!!

scotstrucker:
turbo compound i think is scanias way of sayning twin turbo but i could be wrong

taken from www.scania.com

Scania TurbocompoundTurbocompounding converts excess energy into power.
Turbocompounding seems to defeat the laws of physics by creating energy out of nothing. It works by recovering energy that would otherwise be lost, or wasted. It is a classic example of recycling. Instead of expelling excess energy via the exhaust pipe, additional heat is extracted from the exhaust gases by a second exhaust turbine downstream from the turbocharger.
The second turbo (the turbocompound turbine) spins at 55,000 r/min. This motion is passed through turbine gears and a hydraulic coupling, then through the timing gears to the crankshaft. Stepping down the revs produces a useful boost in torque, which adds momentum when it reaches the flywheel. This means extra driving force without increased expenditure of fuel.

chappy261:

scotstrucker:

taken from scania.com

Scania TurbocompoundTurbocompounding converts excess energy into power.
Turbocompounding seems to defeat the laws of physics by creating energy out of nothing. It works by recovering energy that would otherwise be lost, or wasted. It is a classic example of recycling. Instead of expelling excess energy via the exhaust pipe, additional heat is extracted from the exhaust gases by a second exhaust turbine downstream from the turbocharger.
The second turbo (the turbocompound turbine) spins at 55,000 r/min. This motion is passed through turbine gears and a hydraulic coupling, then through the timing gears to the crankshaft. Stepping down the revs produces a useful boost in torque, which adds momentum when it reaches the flywheel. This means extra driving force without increased expenditure of fuel.

Erm…so some sort of turning power took from a second turbo and mated to the crankshaft via a hydrolic coupling?

Yes, that’s turbocompounding, extra energy for nowt, except for the initial cost, unless it goes wrong of course, when Scania first launched the concept on the 470 124 I covered the launch for TRUCK mag, IIRC the torque rating was 100nm less than the smallest of the then new V8s, which was the 480, there was a couple of grand in the price, the main thing was close to V8 power outputs with 6pot weights, I must say I was impressed by them, they pulled like a train & were very quiet, fuel economy was varied, if you kept the revs down they were very good, if not then they could be quite greedy.

Was it not first used on the 113 400, and available on the 124 470 at the same time as the 144 460, i seem to remember an article in a mag about it and within it it suggested Scania had shot themselves in the foot by exceding the output of the smallest V8 with the 470.
Have to say though it sounds like a good idea and if others dont use it have Scania got a patent on it?, it would seem though that the number of R500s on the road that not everyone buys into it although i see Prestons of potto and Bartletts seem to have started buying R480s over the V8s they were buying previously.