R500?

I run an R500 topline and it’s a great motor. I didn’t spec more horses when I ordered it as any more than that seems to be willy waving unless you are doing heavy haulage. Nothing has broken or fallen off the trim/buttons broken in the time i’ve owned it, solid build. I’ve got a retarder on it which is a great piece of kit. Can’t tell you much about the working of the engine as I only know how to drive 'em. When it was new it used to sail up to Scotland with a double decker on the back without having to drop a cog all day long, losing a bit of puff now mind. Mine was 80 grand 3 years ago, god knows how much they are now, there’s a new V8 due out this year and i’ll be itching to PX it in but I think prudence will prevail. Sounded like Gordon Brown then… :stuck_out_tongue: It really is an owner drivers motor or flagship though and I can’t see the justification for it as fleet motor when the 470/480 is good enough for the job.

NB12:
Was it not first used on the 113 400, and available on the 124 470 at the same time as the 144 460, i seem to remember an article in a mag about it and within it it suggested Scania had shot themselves in the foot by exceding the output of the smallest V8 with the 470.
Have to say though it sounds like a good idea and if others dont use it have Scania got a patent on it?, it would seem though that the number of R500s on the road that not everyone buys into it although i see Prestons of potto and Bartletts seem to have started buying R480s over the V8s they were buying previously.

Ah the 113 400, that was Scania’s first go at it, the electronics let it down though, when the 4 series & all its electronics had been out a few years they had another shot at turbocompounding with the 470, the 14ltr V8 at 460 was by then superseeded by the 16ltr, which as you know was a 480 at its lowest power rating.

Daf had used the concept many years ago, there’s an example on display at their museum in Einhoven, the technology originally came from aircraft engines as I remember, I did a fair bit of research for my magazine article, I’ll dig it out & have a look at it to make sure of the facts.

Volvo also offer a turbocompound engine, the series 2 FH 500 is a turbocompound, as is I believe the later 520, the next Mercedes engine, the Detroit Diesel DD15 which is currently being used in North America also uses turbocompounding, there was talk of IVECO using on the Cursor engines too, it seems to be catching on at last.

ellies dad:
As i said the block and head are the same.

never did i say they weren’t, but thanks to egr, xpi, etc etc those are no longer considered to make up the majority of an engine :slight_smile:

afaik R580 and R620 are twin turbo engines w/o compounding

So what is xpi?

Is there not somthing wrong if a three year old truck is starting to lose some power already?, most motors go better with a bit more milage on them. 80k does not seem too bad for a new scania in 06, seem to remember in 91 my dads 113 360 tag on air was rumoured to have been 72k, so if thats true then with inflation and stuff then prices have not increased all that much.

Seems pointless in the small HP gains they have between there 420/440/470 and 488 (Non V8 models) Why on earth so many models with only a few hp between and without them being V8’s I cant imagine much torque difference…

Also while were on teh subject of difference does anyone know why companies such as Volvo, Scania Daf etc make lower roffed models? Daf Superspace and Spacecab? Scania Topline and Highline? Volvo XL Globetrotter and Globetrotter… Is there a huge price difference? Certainly better when you have a biggers cab’d unit, especially if tramping and needing the room.

I think its 400/440/480 now on the 13l engine, and in a mag i read a while back they rekoned the 440 had the same torque as the old 144 530 V8

scottishcruiser:
Seems pointless in the small HP gains they have between there 420/440/470 and 488 (Non V8 models) Why on earth so many models with only a few hp between and without them being V8’s I cant imagine much torque difference…

Also while were on teh subject of difference does anyone know why companies such as Volvo, Scania Daf etc make lower roffed models? Daf Superspace and Spacecab? Scania Topline and Highline? Volvo XL Globetrotter and Globetrotter… Is there a huge price difference? Certainly better when you have a biggers cab’d unit, especially if tramping and needing the room.

Price & weight is what they say, can’t see how it makes much difference, a few inches of sheet metal & the same in the structural part, IMHO I reckon FHs, XFs, R Series etc should all be the biggest cab available, if you want to save money & weight go for an FM, CF, P series etc, but what do I know? (rhetorical question :laughing: )