Queues At Dover & Calais

Now, 9Km. 11:50 Weds 25/01/22

Seem to recall this being a little bit more than Customs Controls on goods. Perhaps you can correct me here?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Monkey241:
Seem to recall this being a little bit more than Customs Controls on goods. Perhaps you can correct me here?

From earlier this morning:
bbc.com/news/60111856

““These queues were not out of the ordinary and traffic was flowing smoothly through the port for much of the weekend,” a Port spokesperson said.” No queues at weekend…should hope not. :smiley:
“The Port of Dover told us that increased customs checks were “not the sole reason for queues”.
It pointed to other factors including the volume of freight, work going on in the Port of Dover and a number of ferries being out of action for servicing.”
"A spokesperson for Logistics UK, which represents hauliers, ferry companies, ports and customs agents, told Reality Check: “The queues we are seeing now result from the implementation of UK import requirements combined with volumes that are now picking up.”

More controls due in the summer of course.

From personal experience in previous years, in the winter, any queue is out of the ordinary. (Aside from bad weather of course)

Arrived in Calais 13.00 no queue,ADR load so normally slow,booked on DFDS 15.15,might be queue in dover but more than likely just not enough room in the port due to works ongoing,and some ships on refit,which is normal this time of year

Franglais:

Monkey241:

bbc.com/news/60111856

““These queues were not out of the ordinary and traffic was flowing smoothly through the port for much of the weekend,” a Port spokesperson said.” No queues at weekend…should hope not. :smiley:
“The Port of Dover told us that increased customs checks were “not the sole reason for queues”.
It pointed to other factors including the volume of freight, work going on in the Port of Dover and a number of ferries being out of action for servicing.”
"A spokesperson for Logistics UK, which represents hauliers, ferry companies, ports and customs agents, told Reality Check: “The queues we are seeing now result from the implementation of UK import requirements combined with volumes that are now picking up.”

From personal experience in previous years, in the winter, any queue is out of the ordinary. (Aside from bad weather of course)

Why would imports cause queues at Dover when outgoing Dover traffic is exporting any queues due to imports would surely be in France? Do the BBC know which way imports and exports flow? If imports were causing delays in Kent then would the queues not be heading westbound rather than eastbound?
The Port of Dover is not fit for purpose Brexit or no Brexit everywhere else has made improvements except Dover when I queued a couple of weeks ago there was no queue for the train and speaking to someone who uses it weekly when transiting the UK there haven’t been problems because Eurotunnel took action to prevent delays, action Dover did not take.

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

Monkey241:

bbc.com/news/60111856

Why would imports cause queues at Dover when outgoing Dover traffic is exporting any queues due to imports would surely be in France? Do the BBC know which way imports and exports flow? If imports were causing delays in Kent then would the queues not be heading westbound rather than eastbound?
The Port of Dover is not fit for purpose Brexit or no Brexit everywhere else has made improvements except Dover when I queued a couple of weeks ago there was no queue for the train and speaking to someone who uses it weekly when transiting the UK there haven’t been problems because Eurotunnel took action to prevent delays, action Dover did not take.

What you have highlighted in red is in “quotes” so is what what Logistics UK said.
I do agree it seems about faced until you read the full article, as linked, that previously mentioned the 18 mile Calais queues.

But yes any delays in UK won`t be seen at Dover roads, rather they will be trucks held in Sevington etc.

“Drivers were also reporting long delays at the inland border facility in Ashford where truckers must pre-notify French authorities of their cargo in order to get the goods vehicle movement certification necessary for boarding a ferry.”
theguardian.com/world/2022/ … not-brexit

There is a lot going on including a lot of finger pointing and buck-passing.
Dover Port is run by the Dover Harbour Board. Mostly appointed by the Department for Transport. How honest and unbiased would they be about reasons for delays I wonder?
Would they be influenced by their political masters` views?
Why is that bear carrying roll of paper into the woods?

12 Km now. 15:30.

As part of preparations for Brexit, Dover had applied to the British government for 33 million pounds in funding to adapt the port for life outside the EU, an application that was recently rejected.

OwenMoney:
As part of preparations for Brexit, Dover had applied to the British government for 33 million pounds in funding to adapt the port for life outside the EU, an application that was recently rejected.

Seems strange?
In Sept 2019 Dover were ready and that was for a “no deal Brexit”.
bloombergquint.com/politics … eal-brexit

A propos of not a lot,my mind is wandering back to the time when I was blond and much of what is now concrete at Dover was still water.The ferry company offices were cabins at the foot of the cliffs and ferry tickets for drivers were largely written out longhand.Then we used to keep 10FF coins handy for gents in uniform in Calais welcoming us to Europe.Happy days.

Franglais:

Monkey241:

bbc.com/news/60111856

So…not the sole reason for queues?

Franglais:

Monkey241:

bbc.com/news/60111856

Any queue is out of the ordinary?

What’s your point? Your post details several reasons for supposedly extraordinary queues.
Your anecdotal experience is perhaps tempered by a certain fanaticism.

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

Monkey241:

bbc.com/news/60111856

What you have highlighted in red is in “quotes” so is what what Logistics UK said.
I do agree it seems about faced until you read the full article, as linked, that previously mentioned the 18 mile Calais queues.

But yes any delays in UK won`t be seen at Dover roads, rather they will be trucks held in Sevington etc.

“Drivers were also reporting long delays at the inland border facility in Ashford where truckers must pre-notify French authorities of their cargo in order to get the goods vehicle movement certification necessary for boarding a ferry.”
theguardian.com/world/2022/ … not-brexit

There is a lot going on including a lot of finger pointing and buck-passing.
Dover Port is run by the Dover Harbour Board. Mostly appointed by the Department for Transport. How honest and unbiased would they be about reasons for delays I wonder?
Would they be influenced by their political masters` views?
Why is that bear carrying roll of paper into the woods?

Nice bit of integrity questioning there.

What evidence have you that said authorities aren’t being honest?

We usually need at least some evidence …

Just not the way you do things

Hauliers warned about Customs Declaration Service downtime this weekend

"The Road Haulage Association explains that this downtime will affect the Goods Vehicle Movement Service (GVMS), which was only implemented at the start of the year as part of Great Britain’s introduction of post-Brexit checks on EU goods.
So far the new system has not created any consistent and severe lorry queuing. However, queues of several miles did occur at the entrance to Dover Port on a couple of occasions last week. Moreover, at the time of writing, data from Supply Chain visibility firm Sixfold shows that a queue of 12km is currently detected on A20 leading to the Port of Dover."

Came off boat at 16.15, Dover port only half full,6km queue on A20, when there is no need,looks like trucks are being used by to make a point to someone, just like in the weeks before Brexit.

nogin:
,looks like trucks are being used by to make a point to someone, just like in the weeks before Brexit.

I reckon that ^^^ is probably very close to the truth. Some pantie wetters around.

the maoster:

nogin:
,looks like trucks are being used by to make a point to someone, just like in the weeks before Brexit.

I reckon that ^^^ is probably very close to the truth. Some pantie wetters around.

A friend went through today all traffic is being held on the A20 with nothing in the port, from entering the port to sailing was just over 30 minutes, now I know to some on here MMTM is inadmissable as evidence but is roughly the same scenario as when I went through 2 weeks ago all held on the A20 and for me a massive 45 minutes from check in to sailing if anything somewhat faster this week so all in all nothing to see and another non story from our over excitable media aided by those who were/are against Brexit the RHA seem surprisingly quiet perhaps over egging one story was enough for them :exclamation:

Tell ya what Mazzer, they should ask people like you who actually do the job day in and day out for their opinions. They won’t do that though as it won’t fit the narrative.

whisperingsmith:
Hauliers warned about Customs Declaration Service downtime this weekend

"The Road Haulage Association explains that this downtime will affect the Goods Vehicle Movement Service (GVMS), which was only implemented at the start of the year as part of Great Britain’s introduction of post-Brexit checks on EU goods.
So far the new system has not created any consistent and severe lorry queuing. However, queues of several miles did occur at the entrance to Dover Port on a couple of occasions last week. Moreover, at the time of writing, data from Supply Chain visibility firm Sixfold shows that a queue of 12km is currently detected on A20 leading to the Port of Dover."

Hauliers warned about Customs Declaration Service downtime this weekend | trans.info

It will be down for a limited time over Saturday night into Sunday for at the quietest time of the week plenty of warning about it on various sites so will only affect those firms who have ■■■■ poor planners, so on reflection that might be a few :smiley:

the maoster:
Tell ya what Mazzer, they should ask people like you who actually do the job day in and day out for their opinions. They won’t do that though as it won’t fit the narrative.

:smiley: :smiley: Do you think that will ever catch on :question: