Queston on insurance and job?

Hi. First post for me on here. I’m looking to upgrade my licence to the wagons at some point soon as I enjoy driving. I’m 20 but turning 21 in just over a couple of months.

What I’m concerned about (something I noticed when I began enquiring about doing van courier driving) is that are younger Rigid and Artic drivers less likely to get a job not only because of inexperience but because of a possible insurance rate increase for a company that wishes to employ someone so young in driving?

RJP001:
…are younger Rigid and Artic drivers less likely to get a job not only because of inexperience but because of a possible insurance rate increase for a company…

Yes.

Okay, thanks. What’s the age that this starts to be less of a problem? I hope I’m right in thinking that there are still places that take on 21-22 year olds, right? Or would it be a waste of money and time getting the licence entitlements for rigids and later (when money would permit) artics?

RJP001:
Okay, thanks. What’s the age that this starts to be less of a problem? I hope I’m right in thinking that there are still places that take on 21-22 year olds, right? Or would it be a waste of money and time getting the licence entitlements for rigids and later (when money would permit) artics?

Usually 25. There are places that take on younger drivers but it is often a case of who you know rather than what you know.

I know one artic driver, but he’s only doing agency work at the moment since being made redundant a year ago. Supposed to be very hit and miss with whether or not he has work on a week to week basis, but it’s suppossed to be gradually improving.

So, erm, do you mean that unless you know people who own or run haulage businesses, you haven’t much of a chance unless you’re over 25? :frowning:

RJP001:
So, erm, do you mean that unless you know people who own or run haulage businesses, you haven’t much of a chance unless you’re over 25? :frowning:

That sort of thing, or you have a dad who works for a firm which can give you a foot in the door. You can occasionally find a job without these assists but it can be hard.

Coffeeholic:

RJP001:

That sort of thing, or you have a dad who works for a firm which can give you a foot in the door. You can occasionally find a job without these assists but it can be hard.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

DAF95XF:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Does Norbert Dentressangle actually recruit young drivers?

Certainly do mate, and DAF95XF you mock, yet they were the only people foolish enough to give you a chance!!! :wink: and yet you’re back on the buses (of sorts) which you ■■■■■■■ hated!!! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Nobbys took me on at 22 with a 3month old C&E license, been with them for a year now, and if I’m honest it’s the easiest job I’ve ever had, even easier than when I had a paper round aged 13 :laughing: :laughing:

That’s very cool then. With me being so young I’m happy to work at min wage as long as I would be driving and getting paid for it. Much rather drive than work in a shop (as so many my age seem doomed to do after University).

So what are you driving Garnerlives? Rigids or Artics? I guess Artics or drawbar types, from what the company’s website shows on all of its photographs?

I drive artics, but we have some 7.5 tonners and loads of rigids too. The wagon and drags are mainly from over the water, however there are a couple of left ■■■■■■ w&d on english plates that only do uk work, strange I know but they got them dirt cheap as there was a cancelled order somewhere down the line and put them to work on a uk contract.

If you’ve got any questions give me a shout and I’d be happy to field them as best as I can. There are other firms out there who will give you a chance, just got to keep harassing people :wink:

garnerlives:
Certainly do mate, and DAF95XF you mock, yet they were the only people foolish enough to give you a chance!!! :wink: and yet you’re back on the buses (of sorts) which you [zb] hated!!! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Coaches actually, a bit different and as time went on I reliased I missed it :wink:

[qoute]Nobbys took me on at 22 with a 3month old C&E license, been with them for a year now, and if I’m honest it’s the easiest job I’ve ever had, even easier than when I had a paper round aged 13 :laughing: :laughing:
[/quote]
They took me on with a less than month old C+E licence, and to be fair the work isnt exactly hard either, but I guess that was working nights might be different on days though!!

garnerlives:
I drive artics, but we have some 7.5 tonners and loads of rigids too. The wagon and drags are mainly from over the water, however there are a couple of left ■■■■■■ w&d on english plates that only do uk work, strange I know but they got them dirt cheap as there was a cancelled order somewhere down the line and put them to work on a uk contract.

If you’ve got any questions give me a shout and I’d be happy to field them as best as I can. There are other firms out there who will give you a chance, just got to keep harassing people :wink:

The 7.5tonners are 12 tonners, thought you’d know that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
The lest hand drive w&d are supposed to be going to Switzerland soon from what I was told… :wink:

You say the work isn’t hard? How is it not hard/easy? I thought a lot of driving jobs are similar, with only those insane sounding 100+ drop a day type jobs being said to be difficult? :question:

It’s not hard, because (at least with our depot) you have your set run, once you’re out the gates it down to you to do as you want, you never get called by the office, and as long as all the drops are off by 8am (due to our deliveries being all pre 8am ones!) they’re happy.

Work with trucks can be very different depending who you work for, and there is a massive amount of different types of jobs out there from trunking to multidrop to pallet work to hiab work to cages to chilled to steel etc etc etc

Plus we work nights so no muppets on the road to deal with and that makes it easier/better too :slight_smile:

RJP001:
You say the work isn’t hard? How is it not hard/easy? I thought a lot of driving jobs are similar, with only those insane sounding 100+ drop a day type jobs being said to be difficult? :question:

As Garner says the work me and him were doing was car and truck part deliveries, the vast majority of which were VORs (vehicle off road) so needs to be at the garage PDQ!!!
The amount of stuff you’d deliver depends on what that particular garage have ordered for instance one of my drops was in Wembley and some nights they had a half a dozen cages, some nights one cage and some a full trailer load which doesnt take long to unload yourself once you know what youre doing :wink:
Also as Garner says once you’re out the yard gates you’re your own boss and providing you get the work done they leave you alone :sunglasses:
It also depends on what the nearest depot to you does, as ND have transport, logisitics (though the difference between transport is■■?) and fridges… :wink:
If you do apply to Norberts you’ll have to do a driving assesment but thats nothing to lose sleep over, its just a short drive of about an hour and as long as you dont drive like a muppet you’ll pass it :sunglasses:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome RJP001 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.

JOB HUNTING :question: - A read of THIS POST may be useful - also CV & Interview tips

First year experience as a newbie after passing CE (with pics)

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

DAF95XF:
If you do apply to Norberts you’ll have to do a driving assesment but thats nothing to lose sleep over, its just a short drive of about an hour and as long as you dont drive like a muppet you’ll pass it :sunglasses:

AN HOUR■■?

Our lot did about a 15-20 minute one to ensure you are a competent and safe driver and didn’t hit anything/kill anyone!

garnerlives:

DAF95XF:

AN HOUR■■?

Our lot did about a 15-20 minute one to ensure you are a competent and safe driver and didn’t hit anything/kill anyone!

Thinking about it, mine was shorter too, a quick circle round Bracknell :confused: