Questions Questions Questions

The LGV Driving test Poll

Is it a test of your abilIty to deal with other traffic and road users and forward planning OR Driving Test?

Are you polling the differences between the basic B (car) test where the test is about the use of controls, the rules of the road and being able to get safely from A to B with the LGV test which along with the previously mentioned B test requirements, includes the ability of greater forward planning - the THINKING AHEAD bit :question: :question: :question:

Strangely, these differences are mentioned in the book MIND DRIVING by STEPHEN HALEY in which it says

The level of ability needed to get a full driving licence is very elementary. Only the basic skills are taught and the focus is inevitably on the physical side of the task. But crucially, the novice gets no warning of the skills that are missing, nor any meaningful idea of learning after the test. Instead they are taught to judge their performance against how well they follow the rules, and that the main thing needed after the test is practice.

and

There can be no question that, although the L test is the only legal requirement:
We need drivers to have far more ability than that.
And this in itself admits the failure. Leaving novices to find their own way beyond their basic training lays the ground for a low standard to take root
The huge pieace missing, of course, is the thinking skills.

Or in my language:
You can teach someone HOW (the physical action ) to use the brakes but not WHEN (the thinking bit) to use them.

Sorry but i dont understand the poll :confused:

Stevewoods:
Sorry but i dont understand the poll :confused:

Nor me.

Surely the LGV driving test is a test of your ability to control the vehicle, deal with other traffic and road users and forward planning?

Dictionary.die.net Shut Down on the whole

Kiowan:
Dictionary.die.net Shut Down on the whole

http://dictionary.die.net/condescending

Although it is called a driving test and people can drive cars when they arrive.

Hence a test of your ability to control the vehicle, deal with other traffic and road users and forward planning.

As the LGV driving test is taken by drivers that have already taken a car test so have already stepped onto the first rung of the road using ladder, then this ‘professional standard’ test is not a driving test as such it is 'a demonstration of correct procedure for those wishing to drive a large vehicle to professional standard.
You probably wont find this wording anywhere in official booklets, as these are my own words that I have quoted over the years to my trainees.

Car drivers are pedestrians who have learned to use personal transport for their own benefit.
Truckers are professional drivers whose standards and driving skills are (or at least should be) immensly higher.

…I agree…

Unlike the days of teaching a 21 year old to drive an artic who has no car license. We used to teach them on a 15 day course up to 5 day’s unit only then add the trailer.

Which was allowed quite a few yeas ago.

Unlike the days of teaching a 21 year old to drive an artic who has no car license.

This was known as taking a driver out on double 'L’s
That is the old HGV plate plus the normal red and white ‘L’ plate that is used now.

As for five days on unit then adding the rigid■■?
We used to just take them out straight onto Artic and although it was a bit hair raising at times those drivers used to turn out even better than those trained on a car first. Simply because they had ben originally trained to a higher standard and understood trucks.

Cannot 'remember when they outlawed double 'L’s but probably in the big change of '97 although I thought it was before that if memory serves.

BRING BACK THE REAL HEAVY GOOD TRAINING PLATES SAY I

Mothertrucker:

Cannot 'remember when they outlawed double 'L’s but probably in the big change of '97 although I thought it was before that if memory serves.

BRING BACK THE REAL HEAVY GOOD TRAINING PLATES SAY I

Not 100% but i think it was round about 1980 give or take a year

Not 100% but i think it was round about 1980 give or take a year

I seem to remember taking them out in '85

But so far back and the old brain is fuzzy :laughing:

I remember reading somewhere that when the licences changed in April 1991 from the old Group A (car) / HGV licences to the paper A, B, C, D, E etc etc the new regulations that went with this stated that a full B licence was needed to upgrade to provisional C and then D.

I could use this logic to say that this was the date that this changed, but of course I’m not sure. Mothertrucker has been in the game a long time and I would not want to dispute her word. As these are EU regs, the British Government could so easily have passed laws earlier on about this matter.

I currently have a trainee doing CE who has progressed in his driving.
He passed his B test (first time) and then kept learning. When he felt that his learning was stagnating a little he went for C and passed first time. After 3 years on C he felt that he was stagnating again and is now doing CE. He has already asked me “whats next?” so he can progress with his on-the-road driving so I am advising the advanced for car and then commercial.
If this young man (mid to late 20s) does not pass the CE test this Monday I will think about giving up instructing - seriously :exclamation: :exclamation:
He was to test standard on the artic reverse within 1 hour - un/couple procedure learnt and to test standard within 30 mins (checked next day on both to make sure) and his road drive through the tight turns of Leamington - PERFECT.
Apart from a 30 min assessment drive in an artic with another company along a couple of easy roads, this was the his first real drive of a truck this size.

Wish I was that good at his age :exclamation: :exclamation: