Questions for the trainers

Hi . I have a couple of questions for the trainers on here.

Due to the " driver shortage " the company I work for has put some young lads through their Hgv license .

I had one of the guys with me the week before he did his C+E .
Basically showing him how our job worked and giving him tips on how to load and secure loads.

Two things struck me ( it’s been 25 years since I did my class 1 ).

We work on a lot of narrow country roads, and we got into a discussion on road position .

I was telling him to keep tight to his own side of the road incase he meets another big motor, and the lad was telling me on his C training they had been told to keep near to the centre of the road and " take command " of the road ( or something like that lol ).

My explanation that it was a recipe for getting a face full of mirror and possibly a drivers side window came as a surprise.

Also we work in an area with a lot of large hills, and the issue off using the gear box to control the decent ( my view lower gear and exhaust brake) , his ( higher gear and brakes).

Looking like I have the lad with me again as he has now passed his C+E and don’t want to go down the ( this is the way we did it when I was a boy route).

So any pointers on what they are taught, so I have an idea what he is thinking ( so we can reach some middle ground lol).

Thanks in advance, Niall.

Road position will depend on the situation at the time - there is no set rule

A good trainer will say the same thing but some trainees only remember parts of what has been said

I have often used the middle of the whole country road when nothing is around or has the sudden possibility of being there because the centre is a nicer camber

Hi Rog , think you may be correct in the part of the lad only remembering parts of what was said.

I know I was rabbiting on about all the things we do and why we do them… Think he would only remember a fraction of it lol.

Just don’t want to end up looking like s grumpy old git ( come to think of it I probably am ).

Never tell him what to do but give him options and the reasons for those options

Which option the driver then decides to select is up to them

I have just passed my C+E and I was told centre of the road and high gear on decent with plenty of brakes. What is told and practiced after on the road is a different story

L’amiral:
I have just passed my C+E and I was told centre of the road and high gear on decent with plenty of brakes. What is told and practiced after on the road is a different story

That goes against everything taught even in a car ?

Use engine braking , to rely on brakes only is just asking for brake fade?

Why would anyone remotely suggest a high gear on a decent? Christ even signs tell you to select low gear on some hills

Beggars belief to me that one !

That’s exactly what I though on the day, I was told that brake pads were cheaper / quicker to change. I still drive on low gear like I would in a car anyway. Saying that most lorries are auto those days

They are, but even auto can be told what gear to hold. Glad you’ve sense and go to low gear. Chuckled at the brake pads are cheaper, unlike my Volvo car that cost a fortune, but still wouldn’t rely on them to stay in the game on a decent braking all the time with significant weight behind me.

Personally I’d ignore anyone who told me that approach on any hill.

It’s all about free emission and Eco driving I was told … (Cough) luckily my brake pad are asbestos free

I guess someone has to go 1st.

The questions Asked by the OP are miles above what is needed to pass the test. Trainers would love to teach the next level but can’t because the courses are kept short due to financial restraints.

Can’t speak for other trainers but we gear every course to get a pass not to teach the candidate how to be a lorry driver. I doubt many honest trainers would disagree.

Experience can only be earnt not bought.

LGVTrainer:
Can’t speak for other trainers but we gear every course to get a pass not to teach the candidate how to be a lorry driver. I doubt many honest trainers would disagree

maybe if it wasnt like this then we’d see less threads where drivers were complaining about the poor standard shown by some other drivers.
As you say though, you’re probably not the only one but at least you’ll admit it.

LGVTrainer:

Very true and Amen to that. Is there an advanced HGV driver course ?

L’amiral:
Is there an advanced HGV driver course ?

Yes there is

Its doing the advanced driving test in a LGV but to be honest most LGV drivers are already at that general standard

What sort of a LGV advanced course and test are you thinking about?

LGVTrainer:
I guess someone has to go 1st.

The questions Asked by the OP are miles above what is needed to pass the test. Trainers would love to teach the next level but can’t because the courses are kept short due to financial restraints.

Can’t speak for other trainers but we gear every course to get a pass not to teach the candidate how to be a lorry driver. I doubt many honest trainers would disagree.

100% agree. We can teach to pass a test but can’t teach the job.

Lorry driving covers a multitude of industries.

Paul :smiley:

My instructor told me that, “There is a fine line between ■■■■■■■■■■ and intimidation”.

It’s all been said. It’s a pity, but the industry is so diverse, it really relies on specific training from the employer. Sadly, this is very unreliable in some places and may exist of “here’s the keys - bye”.

I will always try to help but, with the best will in the world, it’s not always possible.

There is a haulier near me who has used us for specific job training - so maybe that will become more common.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the reply,s . Was not sure what way to handle the situation, will just kinda go with the flow .

It’s the first time our company has put lads through their tests and as thankfully they are not going to just throw the keys at them and let them loose ( although this usually happens with guy’s that can drive).

As ROG said I think I will let the lad make his own choices and try and explain the best way to do it.

Has showed me the amount of things I do automatically, you don’t realise till you have to start explaining what are why you are doing it.

Thanks again.

ROG:

L’amiral:

Yes there is

Its doing the advanced driving test in a LGV but to be honest most LGV drivers are already at that general standard

I think a course that will be covering what the DSA standard doesn’t

IMO there’s not much wrong with the standard of the DSA test. But it could be lacking in the scope of the industry requirements. And it would be close to impossible to train everyone for every type of work out there. But better trainers will be able to give assistance in the areas in which they are experienced. I don’t suppose any of us know it all though.

It’s always been the same - but that doesn’t make it right. If I could see a way forward I’d be happy to pioneer it. Ideas on a postcard please …

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

L’amiral:

ROG:

L’amiral:

Yes there is

I think a course that will be covering what the DSA standard doesn’t

That is generally what advanced driving does - it progresses from the DVSA and is designed to give a driver more options to choose from

The driver then chooses the safest option for each situation not just a safe option

A good advanced driver will always be criticising themselves