Questions for the trainers

The way forward would be for newly trained and qualified C+E driver to be able to jump straight into a job without a suspended sentence. ( ie: 3 years experience on C first) a course level high and good enough for any employer to view it a curriculum within the trade. Hope I’m making sense

I can hear the thinkers saying " that’s the responsibility of the employer to have a training system in place". But not every haulage companies can afford advance training. What’s your thoughts ?

Can be done. But who is paying?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

The trainee / apprenticeship scheme / future employer … If there is a need there is always someone willing to pay

dingo:
We work on a lot of narrow country roads, and we got into a discussion on road position .

I was telling him to keep tight to his own side of the road incase he meets another big motor, and the lad was telling me on his C training they had been told to keep near to the centre of the road and " take command " of the road ( or something like that lol ).

My explanation that it was a recipe for getting a face full of mirror and possibly a drivers side window came as a surprise.

I’ll always hold my line till he’s close by otherwise if you move to your left too soon he’ll come steaming on through so by holding your lines it should in theory slow the approaching lorry down a little.
And the 2nd question obviously select a lower gear and also use engine brake/retarder.

This is going down the lines of classic Animal Farm- some are more equal than others !!

There is no simple solution, at moment we have what we have and until some unelected Brussel Sprout MEP decides otherwise it will stay that way no matter what’s discussed on s forum

Nice utopian ideal but won’t happen soon. All that can be done will be upto an individual to do what they feel they can to better their skills

My 2p worth before it turns to Euro worth

The need IS clear. But I don’t notice the crowds banging on the door wanting to pay for post-test training.

If eg there was a demand for folks to use a particular gearbox, and were prepared to pay, I would be straight out and add it to the fleet. Or a particular type of body eg tipper. No problem - same applies. Or a car transporter, tanker or anything you want to name. it can all be done but it has to be financially viable or we all end up on the dole! Not good :blush:

I’ve had all sorts of ideas about developing a “driving academy” to better prepare a new driver. My market research tells me there’s no demand. Or very limited.

We offer all our w+d drawbar passes a short conversion course to full size artic. Some take it, most don’t. Folks who pass in auto have the opportunity to take out an 8 speed for an hour. They don’t. When it’s as basic as that, I believe that proves my point.

And, believe me, I wish it didn’t.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve been offered agency work on Class 1. Never driven one since my test just over 2 years ago.

So I turn up, fluff an assessment, or make an a***hole of myself, and I gave up a full time class 2 job 5 minutes from home.

My mates wife is HR at another company about 15 miles away. They are looking for new drivers, once their new contract settles down, on their books, good motors, sensible hours, and I get mentored by a long-standing driver, incentivised to get me through. I watch him for a bit, get a few pointers, then he watches me, and helps me iron out any inadequancies. For a few extra quid in wages, they get a driver that won’t come back in a damaged motor, having learned a good few drops, far less stressed etc.

Bit of a no brainer for me. I’m happy to sit it out and wait for that for the time being.